Eric is Quiet

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

19 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

Still haven’t seen Quantum but didn’t realise the trailers were also a lie. That stuff does hurt the brand when it’s for no reason than to lie about the product.

It's less egregious than MoM where those trailers implied a movie about Strange reckoning with his decisions in NWH so they could hide the ball with the Wanda stuff, but in both cases I think people would have much rather gotten the movie that was advertised. Marvel has always hidden stuff and even edited things in trailers, but selling plots and character arcs in the trailers so divorced from what's in the actual film is a newer phenomenon for them. I agree with you that it hurts the brand (and inevitably drags down audience metrics when they don't get the movie they wanted). 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

It's less egregious than MoM where those trailers implied a movie about Strange reckoning with his decisions in NWH so they could hide the ball with the Wanda stuff, but in both cases I think people would have much rather gotten the movie that was advertised. Marvel has always hidden stuff and even edited things in trailers, but selling plots and character arcs in the trailers so divorced from what's in the actual film is a newer phenomenon for them. I agree with you that it hurts the brand (and inevitably drags down audience metrics when they don't get the movie they wanted). 

Quantumania was worse because they used dialogue between Scott and Kang that wasn't even in the movie to tease a plot that wasn't really there.

15 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Wait a minute. This is significantly different than the one you previously claimed to know about, knowing about both scenes despite also claiming to have only seen one?

Someone more cynical might say you just cribbed this from the more reputable leakers.

the version i saw back in June did not have 

Spoiler

Beast

in itbut i have heard from someone who saw the updated print with cleaned up VFX and final runtime that THAT is what the final version is. Like i said, the one I saw was many months ago during the writer's strike so i'm not sure how long ago they filmed the "new" version of that midcredits scene. 

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

They are connecting this to Endgame. That is not a bad strategy. Let us see if audience are excited now. 

That just reminds people of how they got tricked into seeing the first Captain Marvel because the marketing made it seem like essential viewing for Endgame. Audiences hate deceptive marketing, so I am doubtful this moves the needle.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

They are connecting this to Endgame. That is not a bad strategy. Let us see if audience are excited now. 

Every new trailer i see makes me hate it more. Not sure why. I think they all feel like they're trying too hard. This one in particular feels like it's trying to be all dramatic as if these are beloved characters I care about. Also, weird choice to use the shot of all the ladies from Endgame.  I don't know of anyone who didn't find that moment forced. Guess we'll see if it's effective in a couple weeks...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, John Marston said:

holy shit at the desperation. Th et even flat out play The Avengers theme for the title drop!

Not good for whoever was in here arguing that they aren't trying to angle her as leader of the avengers.  I don't think that's definitive proof, but it sure doesn't help.

I'm really curious if they've hired someone new recently because I don't know how they're suddenly so out of touch with their viewers. If I'm in charge at marketing,  there's no way I'm using a theme that is now iconic to try to manipulate people into giving a shit about a character they actively dislike...

23 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Seems like the strike can be over by next week 

If they’re lucky and fast enough, they can still book some hard promo with cast close to release, make a proper premiere and for Christ sake, let at least the reactions to drop sooner than it’s booked now 

Sure, getting the cast to promote a film is always better than not having them promote it but who says that the reactions to the film will be good? I just believe there is no reason to expect that. Of course we don't know if they will be bad either but Disney is taking a chance. 

43 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Seems like the strike can be over by next week 

If they’re lucky and fast enough, they can still book some hard promo with cast close to release, make a proper premiere and for Christ sake, let at least the reactions to drop sooner than it’s booked now 

Idk why so many people are so sure that not being able to go on talk shows and interviews is holding this movie back.  There are thirty-two MCU movies at this point, it's not like it's some indie studio that nobody knows what/when their movies are. 

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Out of curiosity, what should Disney do to market this?

I was thinking about that, b/c I think both of their November movies are gonna underperform their expectations...and I decided they should finally take a page out of the promotions business and provide free tickets to Wish and/or vice versa with a ticket to Marvels...both are aiming for a younger-skewing female audience, so go all-in and try to grab that audience away from the other female skewing movies of November.

Disney will never do it b/c they never offer price promotions...and while this isn't technically that, it's close enough they won't go for it...

PS - This would get me in to see 2 movies I don't plan on seeing theatrically...and I always try to decide what, if anything, would drive me in (sometimes, even $0 is too much...but these I would do...just not at full price)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, boxoff53 said:

Idk why so many people are so sure that not being able to go on talk shows and interviews is holding this movie back.  There are thirty-two MCU movies at this point, it's not like it's some indie studio that nobody knows what/when their movies are. 

I didn’t said that. 

Obviously it won’t suddenly jump to 120M OW because of cast promotion 

But it could be the difference between an awful 60M and a disappointing 80M, which is far better anyway 

Edited by ThomasNicole

40 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I didn’t said that. 

Obviously it won’t suddenly jump to 120M OW because of cast promotion 

But it could be the difference between an awful 60M and a disappointing 80M, which is far better anyway 

The misunderstanding here (which is my fault for not saying more explicitly) is that I actually don't even think it would be the difference between 60 and 80. I think it would have nearly no effect,  and that lack of cast promotion is not why the sales are as low as they are. Lot of people seem to think it would make a noticeable difference,  and I don't. 

Edited by boxoff53

Listen, I defended Brie Larson when chud's erroneously said that her cast mates hated her but she wasn't exactly amazing on the interview circuit when she had to promote Captain Marvel. Strike or no strike, the slack would always have had to be picked up by Iman and Parris. Larson was liable to create a bad viral moment instead of a good one.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

Out of curiosity, what should Disney do to market this?

They need to cut better trailers/TV spots out of the footage they have. Even some MCU movies I don't care for like Age of Ultron or Multiverse of Madness had dope ass trailers that succeeded in building hype. Sure, different tones and all that, but still. They should have done that for this movie. The footage we're seeing from this movie looks like a CW movie/Disney Channel, not getting people excited at all.