Eric the Minion

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

10 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Listen, I defended Brie Larson when chud's erroneously said that her cast mates hated her but she wasn't exactly amazing on the interview circuit when she had to promote Captain Marvel. Strike or no strike, the slack would always have had to be picked up by Iman and Parris. Larson was liable to create a bad viral moment instead of a good one.

I don't know that I've seen any proof her castmates don't like her,  but I do think it's interesting that some people mention how few marvel people defended her but never wonder if they didn't defend her because they don't like her... in any case,  I don't think it matters because some people deliberately are quite distant from their coworkers.  And at the end of the day that's what they are. 

I did recently see that one clip of her asking if anyone wants her back and the interviewer seemed quite uncomfortable. 

45 minutes ago, boxoff53 said:

I don't know that I've seen any proof her castmates don't like her,  but I do think it's interesting that some people mention how few marvel people defended her but never wonder if they didn't defend her because they don't like her... in any case,  I don't think it matters because some people deliberately are quite distant from their coworkers.  And at the end of the day that's what they are. 

I did recently see that one clip of her asking if anyone wants her back and the interviewer seemed quite uncomfortable. 

Sam Jackson likes her and Chadwick Boseman, rest his soul, made it a point to go to the Captain Marvel red carpet premiere. I think it could just be a co-worker but nothing else thing and yes that's fine. I think that quote is because of the constant attacks that she suffers from the YouTube type grifters and from people who aren't attacking her but just find the character bland so far. I don't blame Disney for the grifters but I do blame them for making their first female lead character so bland in her first movie. 

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Sam Jackson likes her and Chadwick Boseman, rest his soul, made it a point to go to the Captain Marvel red carpet premiere. I think it could just be a co-worker but nothing else thing and yes that's fine. I think that quote is because of the constant attacks that she suffers from the YouTube type grifters and from people who aren't attacking her but just find the character bland so far. I don't blame Disney for the grifters but I do blame them for making their first female lead character so bland in her first movie. 

Captain Marvel has personality though. It's just that said personality in a woman drives the right/incel squad insane

For example, I'm pretty sure they were tearing their hair out the way she easily defeated the male villain and was unbothered by his gaslighting/never took the bait

captain-marvel-nothing.gif

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Captain Marvel has personality though. It's just that said personality in a woman drives the right/incel squad insane

For example, I'm pretty sure they were tearing their hair out the way she easily defeated the male villain and was unbothered by his gaslighting/never took the bait

captain-marvel-nothing.gif

I'm a queer Left leaning 39 year old woman and I don't think that she has much of a personality. Stop lumping everyone who didn't like Captain Marvel in with the abusive incels. We'll agree to disagree on this matter. 

• Like 16

8 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Speaking of changing the hierarchy, even the Black Adam trailer made it looks like a big blockbuster. The Marvels trailers just look like low budget Disney+ filler.

I think The Marvels looks fine but does it look much bigger and more important than say some of the Disney Plus shows? No, it doesn't. That's what the films have to fight against now. It's a bad situation that Disney created themselves. I'm too much of an SJW type to root against a film directed by a black woman and starring a diverse cast but I do understand why it has been struggling so far. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I'm a queer Left leaning 39 year old woman and I don't think that she has much of a personality. Stop lumping everyone who didn't like Captain Marvel in with the abusive incels. We'll agree to disagree on this matter. 

Yeah and of all the complaints I've heard about that movie/character,  that moment of the movie is not one of them. Nobody talks about that guy at all, actually. If the issue was truly just hating strong women,  surely it'd be more talked about?  But because it tracks with how strong she is established to be, nobody takes issue with that moment. It wouldn't make any sense if she didn't just blast his ass right away. 

With how willing they are to call Rey in star wars a mary sue,  I think it would come up more often if they hated that specific scene. 

I know possibly my favorite moment in wandavision was the scene when she outsmarts Agatha and says "thanks for the lesson...but I don't need you to tell me who I am." Would that moment work so well for me if I had a categorical rejection of strong women? And yet, I still don't care about captain marvel and find Brie Larson very grating for some reason. 

Edited by boxoff53
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, boxoff53 said:

Yeah and of all the complaints I've heard about that movie/character,  that moment of the movie is not one of them. Nobody talks about that guy at all, actually. If the issue was truly just hating strong women,  surely it'd be more talked about?  But because it tracks with how strong she is established to be, nobody takes issue with that moment. It wouldn't make any sense if she didn't just blast his ass right away. 

With how willing they are to call Rey in star wars a mary sue,  I think it would come up more often if they hated that specific scene. 

I know possibly my favorite moment in wandavision was the scene when she outsmarts Agatha and says "thanks for the lesson...but I don't need you to tell me who I am." Would that moment work so well for me if I had a categorical rejection of strong women? And yet, I still don't care about captain marvel and find Brie Larson very grating for some reason. 

Wanda is a good character and so is Black Widow. The only female leads that I don't care for are Captain Marvel and The Wasp. It's not a self-hate thing. I don't rate Lily as an actress and don't care for the character that she is playing and in Larson's case I don't like the writing for the character and I suspect that she might be miscast. Like, I get that some other people have ulterior motives but I don't. 

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, boxoff53 said:

I knew that it was tracking like the flash in some areas but damn. Any number in that range is a straight up disaster. Maybe certain people would have to accept that a billion for the first movie was not on its own merits...

The superhero craze was also at its peak back in 2019. So even if Captain Marvel wasn't positioned to tie into Infinity War and Endgame, it would have still done pretty well. I personally don't think the collapse we're seeing here is a reflection of the first movie's (lack of) quality. People have clearly gotten tired of the genre due to lackluster movies and TV series from both WB and Marvel and The Marvels is the first MCU film to really pay the price.

Edited by DInky
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, boxoff53 said:

I knew that it was tracking like the flash in some areas but damn. Any number in that range is a straight up disaster. Maybe certain people would have to accept that a billion for the first movie was not on its own merits...

It wasn't all on its own merits but people will continue to make excuses. I've thought for like 2 years now that CM would have done 300-350M less without Marvel linking it so much to Endgame. It still would have been a big hit, just not a billion dollar hit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DInky said:

The superhero craze was also at its peak back in 2019. So even if Captain Marvel wasn't positioned to tie into Infinity War and Endgame, it would have still done pretty well. I personally don't think the collapse we're seeing here is a reflection of the first movie's (lack of) quality. People have clearly gotten tired of the genre due to lackluster movies and TV series from both WB and Marvel and The Marvels is the first MCU film to really pay the price.

"Captain Marvel was 2010's Alice in Wonderland" seems to be the frequently criticized as a dog-whistle but also a now pretty undeniably true statement. You had something that could have been a very solid 60-80M opener completely explode due to external factors (in Alice's case 70% of tickets were 3D). Alice 2 flopping doesn't mean audiences disliked Alice 1, they clearly didn't (and it "only" got mixed reviews - 53 metascore)