Eric the Minion

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

11 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Right? It’s insane to break it down. 

2021: 4 movies / 5 TV shows 

2022: 3 movies / 3 TV shows / 2 TV specials 

2023: 3 movies / 3 TV Shows 

They’re trying to slower it down, but it’s still way above the 2-3 movies projects per year they drop until 2019. You just need to see clearly the amount of things to understand why people are lost in the timeline, in the plot lines, and why the production entered on chaos mode including all the scandals with VFX etc. 

2021 especially was insane and the bigger mark on the disinterest that is reaching it’s peak now: 9 projects in 7 months. They compensate the mini hiatus due to Covid with complete overload of content, and it did backfire on them because the amount slowed down too little since and the quality has been shakier.

They should have used COVID delaying everything by a year to iron out the wrinkles they had in their projects, but they did not. Black Widow was delayed 14 months and the VFX still looked terrible. What did they spend that time doing?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

chapek came in in march 2020, where the disney plus shows only greenlight afterwards? 

No, but i feel the problem is less the projects being green light, and more how they release them too quickly. 

The distribution aspect, which I believe is the biggest damage on the brand and mostly the reason for bad quality control (example: WandaVision director came up saying it was 10 episodes but the ones in charge didn’t accept to delay it to actually finish them, making the director having to merge the 2 final episodes in 1 with somewhat incomplete VFX), could be handled in many other ways, giving room for creatives to work more time on it and releasing them with more space. 

Edited by ThomasNicole

6 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

No, but i feel the problem is less the projects being green light, and more how they release them too quickly. 

The distribution aspect, which I believe is the biggest damage on the brand and mostly the reason for bad quality control (example: WandaVision director came up saying it was 10 episodes but the ones in charge didn’t accept to delay it to actually finish them, making the director having to merge the 2 final episodes in 1 with somewhat incomplete VFX), could be handled in many other ways, giving room for creatives to work more time on it and releasing them with more space. 

They're treating the movies like they do the comics. Which is dumb, because all the comics need are writers and illustrators, and it takes at least 3 months to publish a full arc.

• Like 1

Nothing they do going forward will be clean if they course correct, but they seriously have to think about finishing the Multiverse saga ASAP. 

I'm talking canceling/postponing any projects that aren't leading to Kang Dynasty/Secret Wars. No Armor Wars, no Thunderbolts, no un-important Disney+ shows. I'd even go as far to Zaslav some stuff already filmed just to not dilute the brand further. Cut the fat. Keep it lean from here on out. 

Don't focus on stuffing Kang Dynasty with as many characters as possible. Leave the cameos for Secret Wars.  Push Loki as a main character for Kang Dynasty as he and his show is still popular. And it's the only project pushing the story forward lol. Get KD out sooner rather than later. Any sequels should be dealing with incursions or a post KD universe if the comic version of Secret Wars is anything to go by. 

Cut their losses on this saga and move into the X-Men saga ahead of schedule. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

They're treating the movies like they do the comics. Which is dumb, because all the comics need are writers and illustrators, and it takes at least 3 months to publish a full arc.

Exactly, and just like in the comics now they’re entering the same fate: have big events that everyone cares about them and comics that are niched and beloved by a portion so tiny that it doesn’t matter in the bigger picture (the TV shows are mainly this).

They should try very hard to get out from this spiral, it’s getting late. 

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's gonna be amusing if after all the doom and gloom if this had a pretty basic boring/not-the-end-of-the-world box office performance even with the inevitable notable decline from the first movie it seems headed for.

too late for that now methinks

the only way it ends up with a boring gross is with great legs, and thus wont be a boring run

Rome was not destroyed in a day. If DCEU could somehow survive from BVS & JL for a while, just one single mixed or bad work like MOM, Thor 4 couldn't hurt MCU fundamentally.

The problem is Marvel Studios haven't deliver something excellent for a long time. You can argue No Way Home is pretty decent, but everybody know it's based on the characters we loved and not the norm of this franchise. GOTG3 performed good, but it worked more like Wonder Woman or Aquaman, earning studios more time of fixing.

The Marvels is unlucky to be released at this point. Many haters, maybe even some presses, will blame Brie Larson and ignore the real problem inside the current Marvel production mode. I wish later MCU films also flop hard so people would know it's not her fault.

Edited by Gavin Feng
  • Like 3

Just now, interiorgatordecorator said:

too late for that now methinks

the only way it ends up with a boring gross is with great legs, and thus wont be a boring run

I mean, not impossible (provided reviews/WOM are good). The holidays are really light this year in terms of intense competition (most of November's titles are either too niche in appeal to breakout, while early December doesn't have much of note opening).

57 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

You think everything is bombing because of Marvels and Quantumania?

And keep in mind, both of those are not new franchises, those are both sequels.

Despite the doom and gloom of this board, ultimately momentum can absolutely be regained. 2026 is plenty of time. We know they have at least 4 r rated projects in the works, so for people who are "too old" as someone claimed earlier, they'll have something too.

I also think a lot of this board lives in a bubble about how much the world now allegedly despises Marvel. The MCU is a long, long way from ending.

explain how they are going to regain the momentum when nobody cares about the new heroes being introduced?

Edited by John Marston

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's gonna be amusing if after all the doom and gloom if this had a pretty basic boring/not-the-end-of-the-world box office performance even with the inevitable notable decline from the first movie it seems headed for.

It would need Elemental type legs to do that 

I can’t stand Iger wankery. The guy literally kept his office. All decisions around D+ stem from him. Iger not Chapek did not decide how the MCU TV shows would be run. They did not decide the bizzare cutting and choosing of how non-MCU properties would be treated.

Iger and Chapek wanted to churn their content out for D+ to succeed when in reality D+ succeeded off families wanting to get their kids free access to the marvellous Disney back catalogue.

Iger fucking chose Chapek as his successor. Kept his office. And replaced him. How people can be non sushi cal about that astounds me. 

Disneys corporate side is a total shambles.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Exactly, and just like in the comics now they’re entering the same fate: have big events that everyone cares about them and comics that are niched and beloved by a portion so tiny that it doesn’t matter in the bigger picture (the TV shows are mainly this).

They should try very hard to get out from this spiral, it’s getting late. 

On one hand, I think it might be too late already.

But on the other hand, Disney pushing back Elio and Snow White makes me think Disney might finally be taking some action when it comes to their film slate.

• Like 1

Just now, MysteryMovieMogul said:

On one hand, I think it might be too late already.

But on the other hand, Disney pushing back Elio and Snow White makes me think Disney might finally be taking some action when it comes to their film slate.

I saw a trending post from Volde that Snow White needs major rework or its going to end up really bad. Elio is just Disney making sure that they have something for Summer 2025. They would rather bet on IO2 for 2024. That said Elio promotions have started while we have seen nothing for IO2. they should have gone other way around. 

Either way that is not an option for this movie. If the strike is not resolved before release, I hope Kevin Feige hits the talk show circuit promoting the movie. Its all on him. 

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Either way that is not an option for this movie. If the strike is not resolved before release, I hope Kevin Feige hits the talk show circuit promoting the movie. Its all on him. 

Feige doing promo for this will accomplish nothing in moving the needle. Only those who truly follow the industry (a niche demo) knows who he is. Larson and her fellow supers are the true faces of the movie so any underperformance will be pinned on the cast being unable to sell it to the public (that applies to most of the movies set for Q4, should the strike not be resolved soon).

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Feige doing promo for this will accomplish nothing in moving the needle. Only those who truly follow the industry (a niche demo) knows who he is. Larson and her fellow supers are the true faces of the movie so any underperformance will be pinned on the cast being unable to sell it to the public (that applies to most of the movies set for Q4, should the strike not be resolved soon).

you underestimate in this social media era about Feige being totally unknown. I think big fan base who have seen majority of MCU know him as brains of this franchise. He could make some difference for sure. 

• Like 1

I need this film to come out already.

I'm so sick of seeing the trailers.

It is insane. It doesn't matter the genre. Killers of The flower moon? Marvels trailer. Saw X? Marvels trailers. Five nights at freddys? Expendables? The creator? You guessed it.

I am not exaggerating that I've seen the trailers before every single movie for 4+ months. It's nauseating. And I go every weekend.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

you underestimate in this social media era about Feige being totally unknown. I think big fan base who have seen majority of MCU know him as brains of this franchise. He could make some difference for sure. 

I mean, of course he's famous in certain circles, but I imagine for most it would just come off as an odd and desperate look that for the new superhero movie featuring three diverse female supers it's the white man who isn't even in it doing most of the work to sell the movie. :lol: Reminds me of this SNL skit from around the time of the #OscarsSoWhite controversy.

6 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

I need this film to come out already.

I'm so sick of seeing the trailers.

It is insane. It doesn't matter the genre. Killers of The flower moon? Marvels trailer. Saw X? Marvels trailers. Five nights at freddys? Expendables? The creator? You guessed it.

I am not exaggerating that I've seen the trailers before every single movie for 4+ months. It's nauseating. And I go every weekend.

Really? That makes the pre sales even more troubling.  Means people know about it but they're not interested.  Which is backed up by the data I mentioned before on the quorum. Among people who are interested,  a low number want  to see it in theaters, or pay for it if they do

• Like 1