Eric S'ennui

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

4 hours ago, Eric Fazbear said:

Being popular and well-liked doesn't mean we should congratulate and applaud and be nice to a movie franchise that will make more money than we will ever make in our lifetimes. Especially when it's not like even their current direction is something the fans are happy about. Plus the whole "it supports theaters" thing doesn't hold water because we have tons of other movies right now picking up the slack. Trust me when I say being mean towards something that has made $29.6 billion isn't that big a deal.

I dont think we have a ton of other movies to pick up the slack.  Last year, the 3 Disney MCU movies did 1.2b domestic. This year the 3 Disney MCU movies will do 700m domestic.  This isn't being replaced by other movies.  Need a Mario level movie every year just to cover for all other movies bombing.  People can hate on the MCU but "it supports theaters" isnt BS.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Ike Pearlmutter, if DCU doesn’t bomb off the face of the earth

giphy.gif

(posting this for the benefit of someone who is, quite sensibly, avoiding this thread like the plague at the moment)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

In all likeliness, superhero movie will likely go the way of the western. Martin Scorsese is probably laughing from his glass house right about now

All they had to do was fucking get good writers lol, it cannot be that hard

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

In all likeliness, superhero movie will likely go the way of the western. Martin Scorsese is probably laughing from his glass house right about now

As mentioned before, a big difference is that western has very specific elements to it. But, say, The Punisher, and Groot, both exist in the MCU,are nothing alike in any way, but both would be considered part of the same "genre". It's kind of nebulous.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

All they had to do was fucking get good writers lol, it cannot be that hard

It can't be both "an unfixable problem and inevitability that the MCU is doomed" and also "just need better writers". Blade got Alis old True Detective showrunner on it and half this board is convinced that the movie is canceled.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I was kinda hoping the clip would bring discussion back to the actual movie and not yet another debate about "IS MARVEL DEAD/WOKE/etc"

The clip was weird b/c it dropped one of the leads of the Marvels in full...unless I missed Photon somehow.

Weird to have an entire clip dropping one of the three in total...

Or maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention...

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

The clip was weird b/c it dropped one of the leads of the Marvels in full...unless I missed Photon somehow.

The clip was clearly edited down.

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Not really. Promo clips are usually trimmed down a lot for length, language, etc.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, they think folks hate Photon?  And don't want to show her in the clip?  Or her powers suck for fights?

I see no sense in excluding one of the three in "a big fight" when they are supposed to be changing places...

It's purely for time and pacing. If they had included Photon then the clip would have been either too long or we wouldn't have sen enough from any of the characters.

Edited by DInky

2 hours ago, boxoff53 said:

Well i guess it's time to accept that this movie isn't for me.  Good luck to it i guess lol

You joined this forum two weeks ago, as of this moment you have 59 posts, of which only 6 are outside of this thread, and out of those 6 posts, 4 are actually about The Marvels.

Every single one of those posts are negative, and you are telling us that only now you have noticed that you might hate this movie?

brie larson no GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 8
  • Astonished 2
  • Disbelief 1