Eric S'ennui

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

45 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

We need further confirmation from Aquaman 2 if the genre is truly dead as I suspect

Deadpool 3*

Joker 2*

Superman*

The Batman 2*

(it ain't dead, just going through a rough patch in life, just like some of us in our adolescence eh...)

5 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I can't speak on The Marvels because I haven't seen it but Eternals was not pretty good to me. It was at best aggressively mediocre.

I mildly enjoyed it, with the proviso that I know nothing about MCU and shut my brain off before entering the cinema.

1/4 for someone invested in the franchise is very believable. 0/4 is a tad hyperbolic.

Oh, so they were right on the money with that late embargo after all.

Feels like we've already been around all the reasons why this is bombing before we even knew it was gonna happen for sure, it feels jarring to get all this talk about what will bomb next and how much. This film almost feels like the culmination of the last couple of years of lack of quality control and oversight over the sheer amount of content produced and Marvel has been taking notes and announcing shifts in their ways since Quantumania.

Stop being hyperbolic. The genre isn't dead just because The Marvels and Aquaman 2 flop. People just aren't blindly seeing everything anymore because of COVID, bad movies and oversaturation. Studios have to actually try to make unique and good comic book movies now. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hypercortical said:

omg, The Batman only has an 85% critic score on RT? What on earth did Shang-Chi do to get so much good favor? 

actually, speaking of Shang-Chi, i'm seeing a complaint in the negative reviews that I've also seen for The Marvels. "This looks more like a disney film than a marvel film". I don't really get what's up with this. is it bright colors? When the Russo's where running the show, everyone kinda complained about the MCU having very muted grey color grading. 

8 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Stop being hyperbolic. The genre isn't dead just because The Marvels and Aquaman 2 flop. People just aren't blindly seeing everything anymore because of COVID, bad movies and oversaturation. Studios have to actually try to make unique and good comic book movies now. 

Honestly some people on here are probably hoping Feige's on the chopping block even though there is a very little if not zero chance of that happening.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Tbh the best comparison is CG animation for the past 17 years. At first, if it was CG animated - guaranteed hit but then 2006 happened and the content dramatically increased as well as shows and only like 3 of the movies truly succeeded (Happy Feet, Cars, Over The Hedge).

18 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Deadpool 3*

Joker 2*

Superman*

The Batman 2*

(it ain't dead, just going through a rough patch in life, just like some of us in our adolescence eh...)

I have to be honest, the only one of these four which I think is guaranteed to make money is The Batman 2.

1 minute ago, Masketta Man said:

If following D+ series is truly a reason on why Marvels failed, I don't know how Cap 4 and TBolts can succeed as well because they are as or if not more tied with them than Marvels is.

Still think Cap 4 has a higher ceiling than both as I do think Hulk stuff in general is a sell, even if it’s just a Red Hulk and proto-Avengers being made. It also doesn’t really need to worry about Plus setup like Marvels and TBolts too. Think 85/210/500 on the high end.