Captain Marvel OW

DOM $153.4 M

OS $302.4 M

WW $456.7M

The Marvels OW

DOM $46.1M (70% drop from CM)

OS $62.9M (80% drop)

WW $108.9 (76% drop)

I know that we all saw this coming due to the dismal early ticket sales but it is still legitimately insane seeing just how poorly The Marvels did over its opening five days worldwide.

3 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

This is why they should've done a normal Captain Marvel 2 and not this weird team up with two characters nobody cares about that's like only 90 minutes long 😤

I do feel like this was a mistake. 

They should have done a solo captain Marvel space adventure where Brie just gets to have fun and keep Fury because they have nice chemistry. And also to have kept Ben Mendelssohn. Have the climax be the thing that leads into this.

Edited by Dominic Draper

5 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

They should have done a solo captain Marvel space adventure where Brie just gets to have fun and keep Fury because they have nice chemistry. And also to have kept Ben Mendelssohn. Have the climax be the thing that leads into this.

I think @cjohn (the guy with the Ben Affleck pfp) said 

"Captain Marvel 2 with a Secret Invasion storyline does a cool $750M+ WW"

"The Marvels with two characters nobody cares about does under Black Adam WW"

People here really underestimate US pop culture influence to China, a survey before shows 98.2% of Chinese university students at least have saw 1 America movie.

Even for elderly US movie have have huge impact,especially like 80s Rambo and Superman.

It’s not Hollywood problem,it’s just the Marvels failure.

Edited by Sophia Jane

10 hours ago, Dominic Draper said:

The worst thing is Larson can be an extremely good actress with the right material. They could have made an interesting movie about an all powerful character like Captain Marvel struggling with her flaws as a human being, and how much she feels she can't live up to the image the universe has of her. We could have got quite a clever meta story out of that.

But nah... gotta sell those unpopular Disney Plus characters to chase those subscription numbers.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

I think @cjohn (the guy with the Ben Affleck pfp) said 

"Captain Marvel 2 with a Secret Invasion storyline does a cool $750M+ WW"

"The Marvels with two characters nobody cares about does under Black Adam WW"

Although using two Disney+ characters was likely a pretty bad idea, I think the issue really started in Captain Marvel movie.

Honestly, I don't think the reception for Carol/Captain Marvel as a character was so good. If the character was really popular between the general audience, her return as a lead in a movie will generate some kind of hype.

That said, the MCU brand being oversaturated with Disney+ shows is likely the worse thing. If the MCU brand remained strong, that would have helped the box office.

Edited by Kon

18 minutes ago, Kon said:

Although using two Disney+ characters was likely a pretty bad idea, I think the issue really started in Captain Marvel movie.

Honestly, I don't think the reception for Carol/Captain Marvel as a character was so good. If the character was really popular between the general audience, her return as a lead in a movie will generate some kind of hype.

That said, the MCU brand being oversaturated with Disney+ shows is likely the worse thing. If the MCU brand remained strong, that would have helped the box office.

I agree the oversaturation of the MCU brand and honestly the weak movies did hurt The Marvels the most but Carol Danvers being a weak lead MCU character definitely effected the box office of the sequel as well. This isn't about the YouTube CHUDS, it's just obvious that Carol Danvers as a character didn't hit. You can blame that on the writing or Larson's performance or both but the fact remains she's just not a well liked character. 

9 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I agree the oversaturation of the MCU brand and honestly the weak movies did hurt The Marvels the most but Carol Danvers being a weak lead MCU character definitely effected the box office of the sequel as well. This isn't about the YouTube CHUDS, it's just obvious that Carol Danvers as a character didn't hit. You can blame that on the writing or Larson's performance or both but the fact remains she's just not a well liked character. 

no shock that a character with no personality, no weaknesses, and that fucks off from Earth 99.9% of the time is not very popular 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

no shock that a character with no personality, no weaknesses, and that fucks off from Earth 99.9% of the time is not very popular 

They made people love a god (Thor), you'd think they'd understand how to make Carol interesting and relatable. I can't comment on the sequel yet but they seemed terrified of giving her true vulnerabilities in the original film, beyond she has to learn how to not hold back. Very weird mistake from Marvel who, if nothing else, are usually really great at making you like their superhero leads. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

They made people love a god (Thor), you'd think they'd understand how to make Carol interesting and relatable. I can't comment on the sequel yet but they seemed terrified of giving her true vulnerabilities in the original film, beyond she has to learn how to not hold back. Very weird mistake from Marvel who, if nothing else, are usually really great at making you like their superhero leads. 

They did that by humanizing Thor before rebuilding him as the God of Thunder. His own father strips him of his power and he has to basically be willing to die for humanity before he's worthy of his power again. The first Captain Marvel movie refused to make her look weak, vulnerable, or human for any reason. This latest movie attempted to show that she is capable of making mistakes, but I think it's too late to save the character.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Thor is a God but is a cocky guy whose actions lead  to a mess and has been defeated many times by enemies.

Carol Danvers comes in with "epic punch and blow up everything attack!"

lol so boring 

• Like 5