Eric is Quiet

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

47 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Trust me when I say this: a subdued opening weekend for an actual great Marvel Studios film will result on mighty legs. The template here should be Doctor Strange, and I’d argue that unlike that one, this has the potential to break $300m DOM even if it opens around Strange’s ballpark domestic. Harder to say OS, but it should also follow.

Domestically, I still think that Kamala Khan is this film’s true secret weapon. At crazy times like this, she seems like a character that is needed right now. 

I would agree with you if this had 5 weeks of PLF plus no competition like Wakanda Forever, but this is losing PLF week 2, and faces 2 female-skewing titles in week 2 (poor scheduling right there, as the rest of the year has been very light on female-led programming). It needs to have a huge opening imo or it's dead.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Marston said:

They seem to want Captain Marvel to be a stoic Clint Eastwood type character and it doesn’t work. At all

She wasn't an Eastwood stoic in Endgame or Shang-Chi and clearly isn't in The Marvels either. The closest her character has been to that vibe was in her origin movie, while she was BRAINWASHED. Such a bizarre criticism. Woman being serious = Clint Eastwood, apparently. 

Captain marvel being stoic is not the problem . It's just that she is severely underdeveloped . 1 and a quarter movies and I just don't care and really don't gets what her motivates her character.  Amnesia plotline in the first movie was a mistake .

Like honestly you have a character with history of being a test pilot and having relationship issues with the dad. Good material for a story But instead we got just cobbled together flashbacks that are surface level and don't delve into her character and her human side .

Yeah most of the characters have been quippy but it's not why we cared about them.

We understood what motivated them, their wants ,their fears and what was most important to them.

Hanging out with this characters was like hanging out with friends and their chemistry was great.

Stories connected us to their humanity.

CM is just feels like an overpowered entity just roaming this universe with little connection to anyone or anything. 

Boring🥱

For bloody sake she can literally ram through massive  ships without a hurt in the world  ,she can lightspeed to any part in the universe at will and for some reason in 25 yrs  and it feels like  Guardians have more influence on   the state of the  galaxy than her ?

Yeah choosing to introduce her late in the saga was mistake . She just feels like this weird puzzle piece that doesn't quite  connect or fit well.

With her power level and skillset,she would have been a good character to start off the multiversal saga .

• Like 3

I’m far from being Captain Marvel’s biggest fan, I mean, I like her but I’m far more of a Ms. Marvel fan myself. Even named my cat after her. With that said, I gotta say that I find the whole Carol Corps thingy that started with the comics and followed to the films endearing. It’s a small club, but I gotta say that this is some of the most hardcore MCU fans out there, the only character I’ve seen getting a similar vocal fandom like this in the MCU it’s Wanda, and I’d argue they might be the bigger crowd. It’s just a bunch of young women and lgbtq folk that love the shit out of Captain Marvel. I think that’s cute, and a good reason for superhero films to exist. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

New trailer! In Spanish.

Kamala seems like a real highlight to me in all of these.

This is actually the first trailer I've watched for this movie. Acting seems pretty bad. I stand by my guess that ant man 2 is roughly the ceiling. Seem similar in tone and quality. 

I do think that captain marvel seems to be the least bad of the three though 

Edited by boxoff53

2 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

And not a good one.  I've seen most of the MCU in theaters. I think I've seen 20 of them in theaters.  I will most likely not be wasting my time on this one. 

Spider-Man Homecoming looked like a Disney Channel movie. 

Edited by andersonhoran

I think The Marvels trailers have been fine but after the brilliance of the High Evolutionary in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3, I am not looking forward to another bland villain and that's unfortunately the vibe that I'm getting from the trailers. Another Ronan the Accuser type snooze fest of a villain.

• Like 1