Eric Prime

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Why are people seemingly so happy about the prospect of this bombing? Yes, there's some cbm fatigue, but it's not the end of Marvel. There's not gonna be many Billion dollar movies as before, but why so happy a franchise that gave us so many good things is on a downward spiral? Marvel helped theaters in the last 10 plus years. I really don't see what could replace it that it gives theaters so many billion and other successful movies

A lot of users here don't enjoy Marvel. That's mostly it really.

15 minutes ago, John Marston said:

yes. I’m sure the reason the movie is dropping to 350m from a 1.2 billion original is because Brie Larson didn’t go on Hot Ones or Jimmy Fallon 

:hahaha:

The excuses have started...Its usually the fault of either:

Strikes, Covid, Victoria Alonso, Chapek, Russian/Ukraine war, Rick and Morty Writers or K.Kennedy when a Marvel project bombs or sucks

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, Hades said:

:hahaha:

The excuses have started...Its usually the fault of either:

Strikes, Covid, Victoria Alonso, Chapek, Russian/Ukraine war, Rick and Morty Writers or K.Kennedy when a Marvel project bombs or sucks

To be fair a SAG strike banning all actors from doing promotion is a legit excuse, the studios will all blame the actors if the Nov and Dec films all underperformed or flop.

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

I don't see how this is a point in your favor. An embargo three days out is confidence, but two days is doomed and surrendering?

Yes, exactly right. Even Wakanda Forever, with banging presales right out of the gate dropped reviews 3 days before releasing, as Disney was confident in that project's critical reception. Marvels, with presales that would have been unthinkable last year, much less in 2019, and only going down in most forecasts (BOP just decreased their forecast to be even more disastrous), is only releasing them 2 days before releasing? 

They are doing nothing to up the ante. The only possible reason they would have to release reviews that late (despite the apocalyptic presales) is if they know it will get meh reviews, and want to cut losses.

The short runtime was a warning sign. The late embargo is them pretty much telling everyone they are sitting on a dud.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

A lot of users here don't enjoy Marvel. That's mostly it really.

The ones that really bother me are the phony ones who say I liked the MCU up to EndGame but since then it suckswhen they were probably bashing it even then and wishing it would go away and bomb.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

They are doing nothing to up the ante. The only possible reason they would have to release reviews that late (despite the apocalyptic presales) is if they know it will get meh reviews, and want to cut losses.

You insist this movie will doom the entire franchise but you only think the reviews are "meh"?

17 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Why are people seemingly so happy about the prospect of this bombing? Yes, there's some cbm fatigue, but it's not the end of Marvel. There's not gonna be many Billion dollar movies as before, but why so happy a franchise that gave us so many good things is on a downward spiral? Marvel helped theaters in the last 10 plus years. I really don't see what could replace it that it gives theaters so many billion and other successful movies

The videogame movie takeover is kicking into high gear. FNAF and Mario destroyed expectations. And unless you make something no one asked for like GT, then they have devoted fanbases who will watch them no matter if the RT score is 20%, so they only need easter eggs/references/nostalgia, and quality is not required. That gives them a huge advantage in the post-pandemic marketplace as they bring out an atypical audience. I see them taking over CBMs as the dominant force in Hollywood.

1 minute ago, Bob Train said:

The videogame movie takeover is kicking into high gear. FNAF and Mario destroyed expectations. And unless you make something no one asked for like GT, then they have devoted fanbases who will watch them no matter if the RT score is 20%, so they only need easter eggs/references/nostalgia, and quality is not required. That gives them a huge advantage in the post-pandemic marketplace as they bring out an atypical audience. I see them taking over CBMs as the dominant force in Hollywood.

The same people complaining about the quality of Marvel, now want video game movies to take over...

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

You insist this movie will doom the entire franchise but you only think the reviews are "meh"?

Meh ain't good enough in post-pandemic marketplace unless you either

1) have an army of nostalgic zoomers who are willing to watch it no matter what (FNAF, Minions 2, Mario)

2) have a universally translatable and appealing hook (Dominion, Meg 2)

3) have extremely high hype (MoM, Thor 4)

Marvels has none of these.

And it's not gonna doom the MCU, that is hyperbole. I still believe Spider-Man 4 will be an easy $1b grosser, and unless it sucks, DP3 should be huge. If they get F4 right (big if thoughe) that could do Guardians numbers. BTSV isn't an MCU movie, but it will still pull massive numbers.

• Like 2

Don't get me wrong, i kinda understand Marvel fatigue. I'm just as tired as you of Mission Impossible and wish Cruise would do something different, but Marvel is such a  huge franchise that helped theaters for years, it's not gonna end now. It will take years of underwhelming results for something to really replace it

Edited by Maggie
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

Don't get me wrong, i kinda understand Marvel fatigue. I'm just tired as you of Mission Impossible and wish Cruise would do something different, but Marvel is such a  huge franchise that helped theaters for years, it's not gonna end now. It will take years of underwhelming results for something to really replace it

For years, Disney's has basically stopped making live action films aimed at young men that aren't part of Marvel or Star Wars (even after acquiring Fox). Separate from if it's going to end is if Disney starts to attempt to diversify its output away from Marvel/Wars.

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Ah I just came here to say the exact opposite. 

I’ve only had the trailer once and all the billboards outside here are for the October streaming horror lineups (Prime, Now etc). I don’t watch sports and they own Hulu so I’d say that’s free for them. 

Maybe things will change next week, but you wouldn’t know it was coming out here. (UK). 

Disney has released one trailer for this movie. I've seen no advertising for it.

Also this forum needs new moderators. This thread is embarrassing.

26 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

For years, Disney's has basically stopped making live action films aimed at young men that aren't part of Marvel or Star Wars (even after acquiring Fox). Separate from if it's going to end is if Disney starts to attempt to diversify its output away from Marvel/Wars.

I mean...they also really weren't doing that before either. Hell that was a big reason why they bought Marvel in the first place.

6 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Oh my God, they are not canceling The Avengers because of The Marvels. Come on guys, the hyperbole in here is ridiculous.

Love and Thunder $750M w/o China

MoM $955M w/o China

Wakanda Forever $850M

GOTG3 $840M 

yet somehow an Avengers movie with spidey, strange, Thor and many more could easily go sub $1B. Some people on this forum are just trolling 

Edited by TheFlatLannister
  • Like 3