Eric Prime

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

When BOT’s moderation does its damn hardest to make this message board an unwelcoming place to MCU fans, it’s no wonder that people will end up talking about the film and its box office numbers somewhere else. When even people that are long time posters here are treated like absolute shit, what is the hope for a new MCU fan browsing around here? The answer that BOT through its moderation team is sending to people interested in this film is loud and clear: don’t even bother post here, because it’s just some thinly veiled franchise wars shit next to another. It’s on the title, after all: abandon all hope ye who enter. It’s a playground, but not for those actually interested in the film. At all. 

No, they aren't. Mods don't have any reason to stop people from being mean to a franchise that has grossed $30b globally and had an unprecedented stranglehold on the culture and on moviegoing habits. You, and all other MCU fans on here can always just ignore people who you hate/disagree with instead of arguing 24/7.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Everything screams generic / lackluster , regarding this movie. The lack of energy / excitement is very obvious. 

The clip released yesterday was laughable and not in a good way. I'm getting Quantumania vibes here, which is always a bad sign. 

By the way, what's going on with Brie Larson? I'm being honest. I'm watching some interviews and videos on youtube and boy, she really needs a PR to tell her how to answer some questions. She's a great actress and a beautiful woman, but she doesn't know how to act in front of someone interviewing her.

I've just watched her answer about playing Captain Marvel, where she says "I don't know. Does anyone want me to do it again?". That was a very bad and petty answer, imo. 

So, how did the whole "Brie Larson hate" start? I'm being honest. I keep hearing so many people saying men are afraid of strong female protagonists, but that's definitely false. There are lots of movies and even games featuring women as protagonists / main characters and they have been loved by male audiences.  Characters like Sarah Connor, Ripley, Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, Claire Redfield, Selene, Black Widow and so on have been loved by almost entire audiences. These are female characters that got full franchises around them, which means they were and they are loved.

I could tell tons of movies and games featuring women as protagonists and they didn't get a single insult towards them for having women as protagonists. Men definitely aren't afraid of women as protagonists. So, what's going on with Captain Marvel? Yes, I'm asking a serious question. 

Is there charisma ( or lack of it ) involved? Is Brie way too much serious? Something not clicking with how her character is written? Her answers during interviews? Really curious on this one.

This has to be a joke post... 

- Unnecessary comment about her looks?

- "sHe's ToO sErIoUs"?

- The mandatory Ripley and Sarah Conner defense?  

"Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, Claire Redfield, Selene, Black Widow and so on have been loved by almost entire audiences. These are female characters that got full franchises around them, which means they were and they are loved." Yeah geez I wonder why the internet and misogynistic chuds go easy on these characters. Real mystery there.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

When BOT’s moderation does its damn hardest to make this message board an unwelcoming place to MCU fans, it’s no wonder that people will end up talking about the film and its box office numbers somewhere else. When even people that are long time posters here are treated like absolute shit, what is the hope for a new MCU fan browsing around here? The answer that BOT through its moderation team is sending to people interested in this film is loud and clear: don’t even bother post here, because it’s just some thinly veiled franchise wars shit next to another. It’s on the title, after all: abandon all hope ye who enter. It’s a playground, but not for those actually interested in the film. At all. 

And I ask, for what? For ‘new’ users like this which was rightfully pointed out days ago?

Or to become a mockery on some incel website with posts clearly made by someone that clearlu is an active poster here?

https://rdrama.net/h/kino/post/214604/neurodivergent-long-effortpost-i-dont-think?sort=new

The MCU is likely not going away in our lifetimes. Neither the MCU fans. Just like the Star Wars fans before them. What is a shame is how this small community has deteriorated itself, it used to be a cool place. But clearly, if people don’t feel welcome here, they will find somewhere else where they can have a civil conversation without people constantly poisoning the well. Anyway, back to Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 and pizza.

I mean, forums turning into "franchise wars shit" are a pretty common thing. I assure you a lot of people would feel alienated from this forum if the moderators are extremely protective with this movie too. There is no perfect way the forum can handle it.

I've understand it's tiresome to hear constantly criticism/hate towards something you like. I have been in many forums where people hate something that I like (for example, I like The Last Jedi), but you have to learn to accept it or stay away from a forum.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

Aquaman has several advantages over this one. A likable and charismatic lead, cool visuals, and a director  that knows how to make a crowd pleaser and with blockbuster experience. It’s also the only action blockbuster for a while I think 

remember the first Aquaman made over 1 billion despite following Josstice League (while Captain Marvel was riding the IW/Endgame hype)

DCEU is a dead franchise though and I think that played a MASSIVE role in Shazam 2 and Flash mega bombs. 

On 10/30/2023 at 3:13 PM, JimmyB said:

I dont think we have a ton of other movies to pick up the slack.  Last year, the 3 Disney MCU movies did 1.2b domestic. This year the 3 Disney MCU movies will do 700m domestic.  This isn't being replaced by other movies.  Need a Mario level movie every year just to cover for all other movies bombing.  People can hate on the MCU but "it supports theaters" isnt BS.

It won’t be valid though going forward based on the current trajectory. Assuming Cap 4 and Thunderbolts actually both got released next year (lol), I can’t imagine more than 300 DOM combined from both. And that’s being very generous. 

The Fanboy Wars thread needs to be resurrected. Every thread concerning Marvel/DC/Star Wars has become a fanboy wars thread now, as opposed to them being concentrated in one thread, which IMO is preferable. The last 50 pages of this thread have been 90% fanboys wars.

1 minute ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Ehhh I don't get the overreactions to The Marvels incoming mega bomb. I thought the writing was on the wall. 

I feel like some of these reactions would be more fitting for something like Spider-Man 4 OW under $120M or Deadpool 3 sub $100M OW

It's less overreaction, and more "the wrong people are going to never shut up about this."

MCU hardcore fans shouldn't even be upset that The Marvel is bombing. This is a much needed confirmation that change has to happen fast. Better to have a solo film bomb than never fixing a clear issue and having both Avengers film bomb. 

Secret Wars has crazy box office potential - Marvel just has to extend their timeline really hone in on quality 

5 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Ehhh I don't get the overreactions to The Marvels incoming mega bomb. I thought the writing was on the wall. 

I feel like some of these reactions would be more fitting for something like Spider-Man 4 OW under $120M or Deadpool 3 sub $100M OW

Captain Marvel still made 1.1B. Did it actually have "no cultural influence" (with it all being IW/Endgame)? If not, there really should be some sort of core of support that you saw buttressing films like Thor 4 and Guardians' opening. 

Just now, TheFlatLannister said:

MCU hardcore fans shouldn't even be upset that The Marvel is bombing. This is a much needed confirmation that change has to happen fast. Better to have a solo film bomb than never fixing a clear issue and having both Avengers film bomb. 

Secret Wars has crazy box office potential - Marvel just has to extend their timeline really hone in on quality 

Maybe after reviews for this film drop, but right now, claiming this film's presales doing poorly when none of the actors can do promotion is confirmation change needs to happen is premature.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

The Fanboy Wars thread needs to be resurrected. Every thread concerning Marvel/DC/Star Wars has become a fanboy wars thread now, as opposed to them being concentrated in one thread, which IMO is preferable. The last 50 pages of this thread have been 90% fanboys wars.

The purpose of fan wars is kinda moot when all of the teams are losing… 

Just now, TheFlatLannister said:

There's an old saying: Familiarity Breeds Contempt.  But I don't think that's right, at least not in this situation.  

Success Breeds Contempt.

I mentioned to a friend a couple of years ago that when the MCU eventually had some real troubles (or even an outright bomb) that it is was gonna get ugh-ly.  Lots and lots and lots of pent up... whatever word one wants to use.

Add in various other factors that aren't worth going into, and, well, here we are.

So is all of this an overreaction?  Of course it is.  The MCU, for all of the problems it's faced this year ain't anywhere close to the situation of other franchises.  The real rub of the matter is, since most if not all, of the decisions being made to change whatever TPTB feel need to be changed aren't going on in the public eye and the decisions being made really won't be felt for months or years down the line, there's not much constructive to comment on.  Which leaves the floor for... Well, everything else. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Oh yes, speaking of The Marvels bombing, the biggest raw drop between a sequel is TLJ which came $736M below TFA. The Marvels is gonna beat this record and drop $850M from Captain Marvel

But Kang Dynasty is gonna destroy this record. Will probably drop over $1.5 billion from Endgame

14 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Maybe after reviews for this film drop, but right now, claiming this film's presales doing poorly when none of the actors can do promotion is confirmation change needs to happen is premature.

Even with the strike, there is no way an MCU sequel should be tracking below $10M previews. There is an undeniable apathy from the fans and GA regarding Captain Marvel. Feige needs some culpability in this because Carol Danvers wasn't given enough time to shine in other projects and people maybe forgot about her. 

• Like 2