The Wild Eric

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

1 minute ago, Torontofan said:

Marvel movies where already making 800 million 1 billion dollars with ease.

Their audience was already big and diverse lol 

I would argue they were trying to seek totally new audiences. 

Yeah I mean they were huge in Asia and Latam. Any franchise that's big OS automatically has big diverse audience. But maybe aliens still resist it. :hahaha:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

How does it work? I thought the dislikes number was still able to be scraped with the API...

They use the like:dislike ratio of the extension users and then multiply it by the visible like count. Problem is the extension users are more likely to leave dislikes to begin with so those ratios are generally inflated.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Marvel movies where already making 800 million 1 billion dollars with ease.

Their audience was already big and diverse lol 

I would argue they were trying to seek totally new audiences. 

I mean, the MCU audience was bigger and more diverse than superhero comics audience

The question was about the reason why they would expect "replacing characters with a more diverse cast" could work in the movies if it failed on comics. I was answering on that.

PS: They definitely wanted to attract new audience too.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Kon said:

Honestly, I don't feel actors promotion really benefit the box office of superhero movies considerably. It was always more about the brand power (and reception). 

Disney may blame the strike publicly. However, Disney should have expected the Marvel brand and Captain Marvel to be popular enough for a pretty good box office without the need of actors promotion.

PS: Also, despite the lack of actors promotion, people seem to be aware about The Marvel. There just seems to not be a lot of interest.

Oh I'm not saying it's the actual sole reason. There are issues across Disney that contribute (out of control budgets, there seem to be issues with marketing), but the strike killing promon is exactly what Disney will say when shareholders ask why so many things underperformed this year 

Edited by SpiderByte

23 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I hate how we talk about this film like a normal MCU film.

"It'll bomb. People just need to get over it."

Okay, but no other MCU film has a final trailer with 57k likes and 48k dislikes. Jesus, the number of dislikes the trailer has is insane for a film people somehow don't care about.

EDIT: I really hope the mods here shut down bad faith actors using this film's failure as an excuse to be sexist and/or racist. Because, again, it's wild that so many weirdos care enough to dislike a trailer that, actually, isn't that bad compared to other trailers.

Know what other movie have bigger dislikes than likes? Captain Marvel, the one with a fresh certified and 1.1B box office 

Everyone knows the weirdos exists, but they simply doesn’t make a huge impact in box office. 

In the real world, they’re nothing. This year alone they really tried to destroy Barbie, it didn’t work.  They attacked Spider Verse 2, it didn’t work out. They attacked TLM and despite everything it made 300M DOM. 

We can’t come here and pretend The Marvels is about to open with 40-ish million because of weirdos online. This won’t solve the real problem which is find out why people who actually is the demographic for this isn’t interested.

The racism and sexist attacks we really should just ignore, treat it like what it is: a pathetic nothing. Giving them the triumph of actually thinking they are the reason for a possible failure will just uplift them.

• Like 8

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

Know what other movie have bigger dislikes than likes? Captain Marvel, the one with a fresh certified and 1.1B box office 

Everyone knows the weirdos exists, but they simply doesn’t make a huge impact in box office. 

In the real world, they’re nothing. This year alone they really tried to destroy Barbie, it didn’t work.  They attacked Spider Verse 2, it didn’t work out. They attacked TLM and despite everything it made 300M DOM. 

We can’t come here and pretend The Marvels is about to open with 40-ish million because of weirdos online. This won’t solve the real problem which is find out why people who actually is the demographic for this isn’t interested.

The racism and sexist attacks we really should just ignore, treat it like what it is: a pathetic nothing. Giving them the triumph of actually thinking they are the reason for a possible failure will just uplift them.

its rather obvious Infinity War Ending Credit Scene is the major reason Captain Marvel made a billion dollars. 

• Like 9
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Who's claiming this? I don't see anyone claiming this. I'm not even claiming this.

I'm claiming that people online are way too invested in this film in general. Online fans of the MCU are obsessed, and online haters of the MCU are just as obsessed. I'm just tired of people acting like the online anti-Marvels sentiment is more rational than it actually is. There are people frothing at the mouth to see this film fail in a way they weren't for Thor 4 or Quantumania.

It's just weird.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

This is very well put. I would just add that if the bar is that movie's with female or diverse leads are not allowed to ever fail or we're letting the weirdos win then that bar is so unrealistically high that it can never be met. The more of these projects that are made, the more we'll see some of them fail because that's the nature of the business.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2