Eric Prime

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

2 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

Tag line was just more Marvel idiocy. "Lets make the tag line for our multi million dollar film based on a single comic book entry".

Like who do they think 90% of the audience even is?

Higher, further, faster? It's not a bad tag line and it doesn't move the needle one way or the other.

9 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

We've been hearing for a while now that they couldn't do the typical pickup shots to fix a couple of things in post-editing (that are standard MCU practice and are already caked in the contracts I might add) because of the SAG strikes, therefore the only way to "fix" some parts of the movie would be to cut them differently or just cut them out completely in the editing room.

No pity for Disney though, all they had to do to avoid it was pay their actors fairly.

This is not true. Reshoots occurred in 2022.

31 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

That's what some fans don't understand. WOM and reviews are not fix-all. If there's very little interest (eg. D&D) critical raves and WOM from those few who were interested to see the movie  is not going to impact those who are not. They'll be like good for you that you like it but I don't care/not for me. 

Also, type of reviews and WOM matters as well. if it's basically more of the same (not perfect but fun, blast, stay for credits, charm, heart) even interested parties could delay the viewing cause it doesn't scream must-see. You need Avatar-like WOM (Holy shit I've never seen anything like this before) to pull a miracle and get disinterested interested. 

I mean reviews and WOM definitely did help D&D, it was tracking to do much worse than it actually did.

18 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

Tag line was just more Marvel idiocy. "Lets make the tag line for our multi million dollar film based on a single comic book entry".

Like who do they think 90% of the audience even is?

Big fans of the first movie? "Higher/Further/Faster" stuff was included in first movie and became an online meme. Adding "together" doesn't confuse people. 

Think they always took interest for granted.

16 minutes ago, DInky said:

And in January 2023 but they may have needed a third round after the June 2023 test screening.

There is a point where they can't really spend more money, because the increased benefit will be little.

There is a reason why Quantumania has so poor CGI even although there wasn't any strike when they released this movie.

Edited by Kon

Just now, Kon said:

There is a point where they can't really spend more money, because the benefit will be little.

There is a reason why Quantumania has so bad CGI even although there wasn't any strike when they released this movie.

The reason why the VFX looked shoddy was that Marvel switched the dates of Quantumania and The Marvels which meant Quantumania's post-production schedule got cut short by 4.5 months.

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

French reviews are horrible, 2.6/5 on Allocine and still early so it can drop and match Quantumania’s 2.3/5 

French audience reception also horrible, similar to a C cinemascore 

Korean audience reception horrible and worse than Quantumania

Yeah not sensing that WOM'll be good here.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Yeah not sensing that WOM'll be good here.

Yeah, fully expecting another B+ / B on CS

The 6th MCU project in the past 2 years to be in this range, really dreadful situation compared to the piles of glowing A’s of an entire decade 

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah, fully expecting another B+ / B on CS

The 6th MCU project in the past 2 years to be in this range, really dreadful situation compared to the piles of glowing A’s of an entire decade 

This one especially imo had to be great. The problem with relying on the good WOMs for Wakanda Forever and GoTG Vol 3 is both in their own way felt like finales (Though GoTG Vol 3 was more intended as one than WF). As has been discussed ad nauseum, the new stuff and stuff meant to set up the future is just not hitting with people since Shang-Chi. I don't want to doompost too much in here, but even with GoTG Vol 3's excellent performance, I think this year'll be looked back on as the end for the MCU.

• Like 6