stealthyfrog

Borderlands | Lionsgate | Eli Roth to direct | Cate Blanchett is Lilith

On 8/9/2024 at 1:21 AM, dudalb said:

Netflix just greenlit a streaming series based on the Bioshock franchise a few years after a failed attempt to make a live action thereatical film out of it.

More proof that liva ction video games based series  seem to be hot, live action video game movies are not.

They'd be hot if they were actually good. Last of Us as a movie would have been a big hit. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jaxon5 said:

They'd be hot if they were actually good. Last of Us as a movie would have been a big hit. 

I don’t know about that. It’d have been rushed as hell to fit all of that story into a two hour film, and I really can’t see a film of that length doing justice to the game. TLOU is better suited to TV.

On 8/9/2024 at 3:21 AM, dudalb said:

Netflix just greenlit a streaming series based on the Bioshock franchise a few years after a failed attempt to make a live action thereatical film out of it.

More proof that liva ction video games based series  seem to be hot, live action video game movies are not.

They didn't greelit a streaming series, they are developing a live action movie based on Bioshock.

Edited by TomThomas

27 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I don’t know about that. It’d have been rushed as hell to fit all of that story into a two hour film, and I really can’t see a film of that length doing justice to the game. TLOU is better suited to TV.

See i felt the show had too many pointless episodes. We didnt need an entire episode based on the games DLC which came out long after the game was already popular and complete whilst giving the games main villain just 1 episode. A movie could have trimmed the fat whilst actually focusing on the infected.

8 hours ago, Zak said:

You are surprised? They cast old women and men in roles meant for much younger actors effectively killing any interest among young-ish gamers. The cast looks like it was put together solely based on them being A-listers and not because they were remotely right for their roles or had any chemistry. The trailers were terrible. It looked like a cheap Guardians of the Galaxy knockoff starring old people for some reason. I'm no spring chicken, I have no problem with action films starring older actors but a Borderlands adaptation was the wrong film to do that sort of casting. I don't know if the film could have ever been a hit but if they had gotten an actual good director, had cast it more age appropriate, followed the source material more (and that includes the R rating) and given us actual good trailers maybe it would have had a shot at being a surprise hit this summer. 

I always expected this fail horribly but the kind of rejection needed for an 8M opening is a little surprising yes, in the sense that a few years ago it probably would have been impossible. With a known cast, a recognizable brand, and a high budget a movie like this could be as terrible as possible and still likely end up in the high teens for an opening.

This opening is really pushing to the limit the idea that in the post pandemic world you really have to CONVINCE the GA to get walk-ups. You used to be able to get a small amount just by default, but now if you lose the fans... Movies can fail to a degree they never used to be able to

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Killimano3 said:

I always expected this fail horribly but the kind of rejection needed for an 8M opening is a little surprising yes, in the sense that a few years ago it probably would have been impossible. With a known cast, a recognizable brand, and a high budget a movie like this could be as terrible as possible and still likely end up in the high teens for an opening.

This opening is really pushing to the limit the idea that in the post pandemic world you really have to CONVINCE the GA to get walk-ups. You used to be able to get a small amount just by default, but now if you lose the fans... Movies can fail to a degree they never used to be able to

The pandemic have definitely changed things, I will not deny that but I don't think that Borderlands is a good example. It looked uniquely bad. Like Super Mario Bros 1993 bad. It looks like it has little respect for the source material, has the same bizarre casting decisions (John leguizamo as Luigi???) and the same off putting cheesy visuals and bad jokes. Maybe you are correct and it could have touched 12M but not more than that. The film being a mega bomb was confirmed the second they cast 51 years old prestige actor Cate Blanchett in the role of a character who is supposed to be in her 20's. 

10 hours ago, Zak said:

The pandemic have definitely changed things, I will not deny that but I don't think that Borderlands is a good example. It looked uniquely bad. Like Super Mario Bros 1993 bad. It looks like it has little respect for the source material, has the same bizarre casting decisions (John leguizamo as Luigi???) and the same off putting cheesy visuals and bad jokes. Maybe you are correct and it could have touched 12M but not more than that. The film being a mega bomb was confirmed the second they cast 51 years old prestige actor Cate Blanchett in the role of a character who is supposed to be in her 20's. 

Cate should have played the Jaime Lee Curtis role.

Once again I think the Pandemic just speeded up things that wold have happened anyway with streaming becoming a major player. It just would have taken a bit longer with no Pandemic. 

Yeah, Borderland just looked plain bad .

And,yes,it does take more to get people into theaters then it used to. Even films that looked like fun like 'The Fall Guy" flopped. People in general have become alot more careful about how they spend their entertainment dollars. And I think inflation has cut into a lot of people's entretaiment budget.

Edited by dudalb

Borderlands basically proves even mega bombs won't lose a single theater in their 2nd week because every studio film is locked into the most possible theaters during their first 2 weeks because of contracts.

3rd week drop will be UGLY.

Edited by Mojoguy

3 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Borderlands basically proves even mega bombs won't lose a single theater in their 2nd week because every studio film is locked into the most possible theaters during their first 2 weeks because of contracts.

3rd week drop should be TC drop will be UGLY.

I got a feeling most contracts for films include a minimum run  in a specified number of screens.