Eric the Marxist

Twisters | Uni/WB | July 19, 2024 | A remake (?) to the 1996 classic

I think I have to accept defeat on this one. I thought it would be a big - like a mini Jurassic World - but the buzz just isn't there even two weeks from release.

I'm still looking forward to it but yeah, it's missing some energy, of which Deadpool & Wolverine is sucking up, no doubt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Insomnia said:

I think I have to accept defeat on this one. I thought it would be a big - like a mini Jurassic World - but the buzz just isn't there even two weeks from release.

I'm still looking forward to it but yeah, it's missing some energy, of which Deadpool & Wolverine is sucking up, no doubt.

let’s release a movie based on spectacle and sold on being seen in IMAX..on a release date where it will get less than a week of play in those theaters  

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

let’s release a movie based on spectacle and sold on being seen in IMAX..on a release date where it will get less than a week of play in those theaters  

It is what it is. They made their bed now they they have to lay in it. Hopefully the movie is good and gets good WOM and can coexist with DP and Wolvie.

• Like 1

So excited for this movie, I was born and raised in Oklahoma. Parts of the original movie was filmed where I grew up including an old gymnasium I used to play in. A guy I went to college with was an extra during the Wakita tornado scene. Will be there opening day.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Confused as to why it's 7/19 and not 7/12? Does DM4 get PLF for 2 weeks and that's why?

Also looking forward to it. Seeing it 7/17. Fun cast. Interesting director. Reliable Screenwriter.

Yeah, dumb this wasn't released on 7/12. More time before Deadpool with that date. Also I doubt DM4 ever required a 2 week PLF commitment.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Yeah, dumb this wasn't released on 7/12. More time before Deadpool with that date. Also I doubt DM4 ever required a 2 week PLF commitment.

That's exactly my thinking. Did release dates flip around late abd Twisters just stayed instead of moving up? I just don't get it. There's isn't a blockbuster this weekend. 

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Confused as to why it's 7/19 and not 7/12? Does DM4 get PLF for 2 weeks and that's why?

Universal wanted at least two weeks of space between their two summer tentpoles and this is opening in the Oppenheimer/Nope spot for Universal the past two years (Despicable Me has also been an early July/Independence Day weekend franchise pretty much since it began). Guess they really didn't want to give it up even after Deadpool moved to the weekend after, especially when this is PG-13 and that is R.

Edited by filmlover

Upside of opening one week before is you don't lose any theaters when the next tentpole comes out. PG-13 v R may very well make a difference, and unlike Dead Reckoning there's no Barbie afterwards.