Eric the Marxist

Twisters | Uni/WB | July 19, 2024 | A remake (?) to the 1996 classic

I have nothing against Powell, but, I HATE these "So and so can do wrong" personality cults.

And I have nothing but contempt for bandwagoners, those who jump on whatever or whoever is hot at the moment in an attempt to look cool and hip., and jump off the moment it starts  to cool down.

• Like 1

The "where has the romance in movies gone?" think pieces (Hollywood Reporter even wrote an article about it) that have emerged the past few days as a result of this movie, of all things, feels so unserious.

Like just straight up admit you're hot for Powell and wanted to see a gratuitous shirtless scene from him in this lmao.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The "where has the romance in movies gone?" think pieces (Hollywood Reporter even wrote an article about it) that have emerged the past few days as a result of this movie, of all things, feels so unserious.

Like just straight up admit you're hot for Powell and wanted to see a gratuitous shirtless scene from him in this lmao.

I mean that's what "Anyone But You" is for, those that have the hots for Powell.

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

the chemistry between Powell and Edgar Jones was so strong it brought out the romantic in everyone. It’s like if Keanu Reeves or Sandra Bullock didn’t kiss at the end of Speed or Brednan Fraser and Rachel Weisz didn’t in The Mummy 

I actually don't think DEJ and Powell had much chemistry in this tbh, which the makes the whole handwringing all the more random to me. But I blame that more on the script not giving them enough to work with than the actors themselves.

On that note, will also say this is a better acted movie overall than the 1996 film, though that can attributed to Lee Isaac Chung clearly being more of an "actor's director" (as one would expect from a filmmaker whose previous movie earned two acting Oscar nominations and actually won one of them) than Jan de Bont.

• Like 1

I don’t think the lack of a kiss is as a result of the “desexualisation” of cinema, I actually agree with the director that it wasn’t necessary here as it would have taken the focus away from Kate’s journey back to loving storm chasing and just made it all about her finding a love interest. You know they get together at the end, you don’t NEED to see them swap saliva.

6 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

It's not a big deal but it also kind of is? Marvel really desexualized cinema lol 

It's probably the result of #MeToo more than anything else, and mostly limited to movies. A byproduct of the stench from Harvey Weinstein and his far-too-long dominance over film awards season until he received his comeuppance, I guess. Anyone who watches a lot of prestige TV knows that there's definitely been no shortage of sexy stuff in that medium since late 2017. 

• Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, AniNate said:

This is a very eye rolling manufactured controversy. No one would've thought anything of it if there weren't the trade pot-stirring pieces about what was cut 

actually really seeing a lot of talk on social media about it.  Also not really a controversy. More like a compliment in a way. It showed people like the characters/actors

Edited by John Marston

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

I am pretty sure they fucked after the screen cut to black. It's all good!

Thanks, this whole time I thought the fade to black meant they died a horrible death.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Human said:

Thanks, this whole time I thought the fade to black meant they died a horrible death.

No they're only dead if the shift to black occurs while they're sitting at a diner listening to Don't Stop Believing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

It's probably the result of #MeToo more than anything else, and mostly limited to movies. A byproduct of the stench from Harvey Weinstein and his far-too-long dominance over film awards season until he received his comeuppance, I guess. Anyone who watches a lot of prestige TV knows that there's definitely been no shortage of sexy stuff in that medium since late 2017. 

idk seems way more tone down for sex and more just gross wierd stuff on big tv shows i find.

• Disbelief 1

11 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

It's not a big deal but it also kind of is? Marvel really desexualized cinema lol 

Nope, Kate definitely kiss her original Boyfriend in the beginning of the film. Why they decided to exclude the ending kiss is beyond me. Give the people what they want.