John Marston

most disappointing performances for a sequel?

Maybe this is controversial, but I feel like Frozen II was kind of a disappointment. Given how big the first one was it should’ve done over 500m and closer to what Mario did than Finding Dory numbers 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Flip said:

Maybe this is controversial, but I feel like Frozen II was kind of a disappointment. Given how big the first one was it should’ve done over 500m and closer to what Mario did than Finding Dory numbers 

You're not wrong. The movie earned an A- CinemaScore, which is kinda meh for an animated film. If it was received closer to the first one (A+), it absolutely could've done the numbers you're proposing. 

On 10/31/2021 at 12:43 PM, filmlover said:

Surprised to see Prince Caspian hasn't been mentioned yet

yeah this was the first film that came to mind, still really don't understand the massive drop off there

• Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 10:42 AM, Flopped said:

Batman Returns only insofar as the original was such a smash and the sequel damn near got outgrossed by Sister Act that Summer.  

BR legs, by 1992 standards, were A.W.F.U.L. It set the opening weekend record for the time. 

On 11/10/2021 at 1:10 PM, Kalo said:

I do think Price Caspian would have done a little better maybe $200mish. had it released sooner 2.5 years between movies about kids, for kids is a long time to wait between sequels. There there was a harry potter film releasing 1/ 1.5 years when they came out. but yeah there wasn't the same kind of progression as HP. because each Narnia story is like it's own isolated narrative that is completed by the end of the film. Whereas HP even though it wraps up a school year still wants you to wonder what happens next. I do agree LWW is more well known, but there are several other books just as highly regarded (Magician's Nephew, Dawn Treader (which fox kind of botched up) (the Horse and his boy). shame it wasn't completed. cause I love the series. (books) (movies were good, but could have been better). I wonder if the Netflix thing will ever take off.

Narnia benefited heavily from its Christmas release in 2005. Caspian was sandwiched between break out of iron man and return of Indiana jones, didn't end well. 

• Like 2

On 5/29/2024 at 8:40 PM, excel1 said:

BR legs, by 1992 standards, were A.W.F.U.L. It set the opening weekend record for the time. 

Narnia benefited heavily from its Christmas release in 2005. Caspian was sandwiched between break out of iron man and return of Indiana jones, didn't end well. 

I think Prince Caspian was not that great a movie, and never would have been the kind of hit Disney was hoping for, but it would have done better at Christmas time, yes.

Particularly since that year was a very weak Holiday season.

I am not sure you can blame them fo rnot seeing Iron Man as a threat, few in the industry predicted it would b e the huge hit it was. Disney probably honestly thought it had a stronger film with Caspian.

Of course the real irony if you get into LOET/Narnia comparasions is that Tolkein and C.S. Lewis were close friends in real life. Both  were professors at Oxford.

It will be interesting to see what Greta Gerwig does with the Narnia novels, though.

Definitely most of the Ice Age sequels. 5 was a disaster, 61% drop from 4. It also never really grew past the originals gross. I’m surprised the 2nd one didn’t do closer to 250m with no family competition for two months (probably because it didn’t get a summer release). The 3rd one is decently impressive for staying even with #2, and the 4th makes sense dropping a bit. But it’s crazy how the international grosses exploded while domestically it remained stagnant until it cratered

On 6/24/2024 at 9:25 AM, Flip said:

Definitely most of the Ice Age sequels. 5 was a disaster, 61% drop from 4. It also never really grew past the originals gross. I’m surprised the 2nd one didn’t do closer to 250m with no family competition for two months (probably because it didn’t get a summer release). The 3rd one is decently impressive for staying even with #2, and the 4th makes sense dropping a bit. But it’s crazy how the international grosses exploded while domestically it remained stagnant until it cratered

I disagree the Ice Age sequels dissapointed. I think by the thrid Illumnation knew the Internatinal market is where they would m ake their big bucks.

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I disagree the Ice Age sequels dissapointed. I think by the thrid Illumnation knew the Internatinal market is where they would m ake their big bucks.

Ice Age is Blue Sky, not Illumination.  

On 2/25/2024 at 5:38 PM, WorkingonaName said:

Still not over dead reckoning. 

Was gonna type this one but yeah considering how Fallout did through plus Top Gun Maverick was really disappointing to see Dead Reckoning not take advantage. Overseas can understand the decrease with China. 

On 7/2/2024 at 9:35 AM, Jaxon5 said:

Titanic 2

eh pearl harbor did well but it was a terrible film 

On 7/8/2024 at 5:27 PM, excel1 said:

eh pearl harbor did well but it was a terrible film 

Except for the actual attack, Pearl Harbor was often the worst thing a film could be;Boring.

There were a number of ideas floated for another Titanic type history based  disaster movie...a film about the Lusistania was on the table for a while, and a movie called 1906  about the San Francisco Earthquake and Fire, but neither ever happened.

Edited by dudalb

The Rise of Skywalker is kinda pathetic when you realize how little tickets it sold. According to u/AgentCooper315, it sold only 111M admissions worldwide. Literally less than half of The Force Awakens (230M). An R-Rated Joker movie sold more tickets overseas that TROS sold globally, and Joker's OS-China admissions is basically double TROS. Endgame's OS admissions is almost 5 times as much as TROS.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

The Rise of Skywalker is kinda pathetic when you realize how little tickets it sold.

There were reddit posts after reddit posts saying the rest of us were crazy for thinking it would not gross at least 2 billion worldwide.

On 7/10/2024 at 10:58 PM, dudalb said:

Except for the actual attack, Pearl Harbor was often the worst thing a film could be;Boring.

There were a number of ideas floated for another Titanic type history based  disaster movie...a film about the Lusistania was on the table for a while, and a movie called 1906  about the San Francisco Earthquake and Fire, but neither ever happened.

Bay and Bruckheimer took one look at 1998 and said "what if we blended Titanic, Saving Private Ryan, and Armageddon together?" and came away with their concept for pearl harbor.  WB basically did the same with the Illiad a few later with "Troy". The 1906 film by brad bird could have been very good, while a lusitania movie would be odd as the ship sink in 15 minutes. 

On 7/25/2024 at 2:28 AM, HummingLemon496 said:

The Rise of Skywalker is kinda pathetic when you realize how little tickets it sold. According to u/AgentCooper315, it sold only 111M admissions worldwide. Literally less than half of The Force Awakens (230M). An R-Rated Joker movie sold more tickets overseas that TROS sold globally, and Joker's OS-China admissions is basically double TROS. Endgame's OS admissions is almost 5 times as much as TROS.

Yeah the film faced TLJ backlash then they tried to appease the people upset at the TLJ but they piss off the TLJ fans ...but the film was so subpar that the people who dont like TLJ dont like TROS either lol 

On 8/15/2024 at 8:45 AM, Torontofan said:

Yeah the film faced TLJ backlash then they tried to appease the people upset at the TLJ but they piss off the TLJ fans ...but the film was so subpar that the people who dont like TLJ dont like TROS either lol 

And it not like TROS was that great a movie either. 

I thin making the entire sequel trilogy into basically a rehash of the original trilogy was not a good idea from the beginning.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1