John Marston

most disappointing performances for a sequel?

8 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

High Five Friends GIF by Avatar

Avatar 2 actually did better than most people were expecting on here. The only people disappointed are those that expected it to outgross the original. Still, 3rd highest grossing movie of all time is hardly anything to scoff at. 

5 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Avatar 2 actually did better than most people were expecting on here. The only people disappointed are those that expected it to outgross the original. Still, 3rd highest grossing movie of all time is hardly anything to scoff at. 

Only did 2/3rds of Avatar 1 admissions domestically. Around the same-ish drop as TLJ

Edited by HummingLemon496

3 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Only did 2/3rds of Avatar 1 admissions domestically. 

That's hardly enough to qualify it as most disappointing considering there have been far worse drops for sequels. And thanks to inflation, it only dropped 10% in gross from the original's first run domestically. 

Edited by KP1025
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

That's hardly enough to qualify it as most disappointing considering there have been far worse drops for sequels. And thanks to inflation, it only dropped 10% in gross from the original's first run domestically. 

In that case. . .we know who the king (or the queen) is ;)

Captain Marvel Marvels GIF by Marvel Studios

Dropped an epic 85% from Captain Marvel 1 admissions 

If you want some perspective, Marvels admits in 2019 would be ~$71M total. Captain Marvel placed 6 on the 2019 chart, Marvels would place. . .number 41

Some other neat facts. BP2 dropped around 47% from BP1 admits, GOTG 3 dropped 25% from GOTG 2 and around 20% from GOTG 1. Ant-Man 3 dropped 20% from Ant-Man 2

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

8 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Only did 2/3rds of Avatar 1 admissions domestically. Around the same-ish drop as TLJ

And new hope to Empire, Jurassic Park to Lost World.... Losing a third of the audience from an all time grosser is honestly pretty solid. 

Batman Returns only insofar as the original was such a smash and the sequel damn near got outgrossed by Sister Act that Summer. McDonald's pulling their sponsorship, parents complaining, the director being replaced for the next instalment. 

But what's interesting is how beloved it has become, thanks largely to Catoman and the Xmas elements. I see why more people talk about it now than any of the other pre-Nolan Batmans. 

I am going to explain why Avatar 2 domestic is extremely disappointing compared to the first one 

(My admissions numbers are taken from u/AgentCooper315 from Reddit)

Avatar (2009) was a smash hit in the United States, selling a whopping 74M admissions domestically. This is the third most tickets sold for movie in the 21st century, only behind the two mega-events of Star Wars: The Force Awakens (90M) and Avengers: Endgame (83.5M). No movie post-pandemic (or post-Endgame) sold more tickets than Avatar. Even Spider-Man: No Way Home with every single villain, every single Spider-Man, amazing reception, and holiday legs didn't sell as many tickets as Avatar domestically. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes until 2030 onward to get a film post-Endgame that sells as many tickets as Avatar. It was a legendary hit domestically, fucking wild how an original film blew up like that.

In comparison, Avatar 2 is a weakling compared to its predecessor. It 'only' sold 48M admissions, which is a whopping 35% drop from Avatar 1's 74M admissions. This is not legendary like the first one, it is kind of just above average. There are 37 films in the 21st century that sold more tickets than Avatar 2. Four movies (No Way Home, Top Gun: Maverick, Mario, Barbie) post-pandemic sold more tickets than Avatar 2. Avatar 2 is behind stuff like Finding Dory, Frozen 2, Dark Knight Rises, Rogue One, etc. It's only 10-15% ahead of films like Captain Marvel, Iron Man 3, or Wonder Woman in admissions. That is an absolutely massive drop from Avatar 1, which as I said, literally has the bronze metal for 21st century admissions. 

Avatar went from a legendary performer domestically to an average performance domestically. Case closed. 

4 hours ago, JustLurking said:

I sure wish we had more average performers at the domestic box office, could use a few more of those average almost 700M grossers

It's average when your predecessor did 74M admissions and is in the top three biggest tickets sold of the 21st century. Different movies have different standards/expectations.

8 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

It's average when your predecessor did 74M admissions and is in the top three biggest tickets sold of the 21st century. Different movies have different standards/expectations.

-35% after a 13 years period and the BO as a whole selling way less tickets is a perfectly fine result, let alone warranting talk of "most disappointing performance" (?!), even moreso when sequels to lightning-in-a-bottle films almost always see declines - often heavy declines, and we're talking gross - on their sequels

films like black panther and jurassic world literally have heftier admits drop than that despite going on a more normal sequel pipeline as far as timely releases go, and even those no one has bothered mentioning

this argument holds absolutely no water, just give it up

Edited by JustLurking

Feel like The Marvels has to take the cake for this now given how mightily it fell, though in retrospect the signs were certainly there (nearly half a decade being too long for a sequel to that movie in particular, MCU oversaturation and the heavy emphasis on characters from the Disney+ shows making watching the movie feel like homework - a Captain Marvel 2 without such strong connections to the D+ shows obviously doesn't do as well as the first movie regardless but definitely wouldn't have performed as terribly as it ultimately did with the "do your homework" vibe it carried).

12 hours ago, JustLurking said:

-35% after a 13 years period and the BO as a whole selling way less tickets is a perfectly fine result, let alone warranting talk of "most disappointing performance" (?!), even moreso when sequels to lightning-in-a-bottle films almost always see declines - often heavy declines, and we're talking gross - on their sequels

films like black panther and jurassic world literally have heftier admits drop than that despite going on a more normal sequel pipeline as far as timely releases go, and even those no one has bothered mentioning

this argument holds absolutely no water, just give it up

Well since Avatar is Disney I am personally a supporter of Avatar and want it to do well. But I am personally disappointed in the domestic performance, even this guy named u/AgentCooper315 on Reddit who tracks admissions and stuff agrees with me. This is what he said in PMs. 

For the record, I do agree that Avatar 2's box office performance was a tad disappointing especially as a James Cameron and Avatar fan.
I was personally hoping for at least 70M+ domestic and was willing to settle with 60M+ but even though it falls in line with sequel drops like Last Jedi and Fallen Kingdom I can't help but be a tad disappointed with doing less than Rogue One.
Europe was absolutely amazing however. Did much better than my wildest dreams. Latin America and Asia were a bit disappointing though

This is exactly what I think

And no I don't literally think it's the most disappointing sequel performance, I only said it because the actual most disappointing is super obvious (Marvels).

14 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Ah shit, well I wouldn't wanna disagree with agentcooper315

Going from top 3 of the 21st century to not even top 30 IS disappointing. Outselling Avatar 1 admits is like a once in a decade event that requires a fuck ton of hype (EG/TFA), outselling Avatar 2 admits isn't THAT much of an accomplishment. You know how TDKR is kind considered a disappointment domestically? Same kinda applies here imho. So yes, you really do not want to disagree with u/AgentCooper315. 

And no I'm not saying this to hate, I'm saying this because I'm an avid Disney/Avatar supporter and Avatar 2's performance domestically wasn't as great as I was expecting. 

• Disbelief 1