cax16

Blue Beetle | August 18, 2023 | WB/DC | Director - Angel Manuel Soto | First DC Universe Character!

28 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

You've quickly rocketed up the rankings of "most wrong BOT poster". Congrats.

If those are your rankings I'd wear them like a badge of pride. Anybody taking the opposite stance of whatever you say would leave the other person correct the vast majority of the time.

Edited by Dominic Draper

36 minutes ago, GambitPool said:

I truly do wonder how audiences are going to react to 2 separate Batman film series running concurrently. 

Not multiverse Batmen. Not Batfleck cameos. Actual two different actors portraying two different Batmen in two different film series. 

Well hopefully they quickly replace Andy.

If they go fantastical and bat family it gives a pretty wide divestment from Reeves version. 

But Andy has to go. You cannot give that man the film.

51 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

There is the caveat that they've mostly had to deal with the lumps of coal Hamada and company left behind so far. The only bad decision I'll entirely blame them for is hiring Andy Muschietti for their Batman reboot despite his Flash movie not being all that. He'll probably be gone by the end of the year though.

Id say changing the ending of flash was entirely self serving by Gunn and didn't serve the film itself. That ending definitely played a part in the reception of the film. Now he's playing around with Aquaman.

The announcement of Andy as director of Batman.

The decision to announce the current universe is dead and you have a new slate while a slate of films in the now dead universe was still coming, was a insane choice. Who knows how much money that choice has wiped out from the box offices of these films.

It's not all their fault, the leadership changes from Hamada to Abdy and de Luca to gunn/Safran was bungled as badly as you can do it. Abdy and de Luca shouldn't have been allowed to announce a bunch of projects and casting if they were just gonna be booted.

Obviously none of this will truly matter if superman legacy is a massive hit and thats the true test, but you can still examine what's happened so far and so far it's the equivalent of a new GM coming into a sports team and immediately dismantling the team because he didn't make those choices. Backed up by the decision to keep his own creative works instead of a true reboot which was desperately what was needed.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

They have been making decisions around other films since they started.

Notes and suggestions are not business decisions. Aside from nixing the greater universe tie-ins from these films there hasn’t been anything to suggest there’s been some kind Gunn mandated overhaul of them.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

There is the caveat that they've mostly had to deal with the lumps of coal Hamada and company left behind so far. The only bad decision I'll entirely blame them for is hiring Andy Muschietti for their Batman reboot despite his Flash movie not being all that. He'll probably be gone by the end of the year though.

I think announcing the reboot as soon as they did could be considered a bad decision. It sure doesn’t seem to be doing their 2023 slate any favors. In his possible defense though, maybe that was something Zaslav told him to do. I also think it was pretty pointless for them to reshoot the ending of The Flash, just so they could troll the audience with a George Clooney cameo. 

Seriously though, the timing of the DCU could not have been worse. I’m pretty certain the announcement of a new Superman wouldn’t have been nearly as divisive if WB hadn’t made a big fuss less than two months earlier over Henry Cavill’s supposed return. It doesn’t help that we still don’t have a lot of clarity on what is considered canon to the DCU. 

By the way, can we stop to acknowledge that James Wan is ready to move on from DC at this point, while Andy Muschietti is being given a Batman movie? 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Vector Sigma said:

I initially thought a break was what the DCU needed but now I just think the brand is toxic. Honestly, if they sold the brand I don’t even think you could get more than 2.5 billion for it. I’m not exactly Mark Cuban but these characters are tarnished. 

lmao man some people on this site just have no clue

Batman ALONE is worth more than $2.5 bil. Come on people

• Like 3

Just now, Vector Sigma said:

I initially thought a break was what the DCU needed but now I just think the brand is toxic. Honestly, if they sold the brand I don’t even think you could get more than 2.5 billion for it. I’m not exactly Mark Cuban but these characters are tarnished. 

Why would audiences invest or care about a company/studio that seems to change direction every 6 months, never rewards any part of its fan base and never follows through on anything.

Just in the last year they announced Cavill is back, took that away, announced a Constantine sequel, took it away, etc etc etc. It never ends.

Being a DC fan is an exercise in masochism at this point for me. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

I know it sounds nuts but just because a company sets a price it doesn’t mean they’re gonna get it. I look at WWE as an example. Should have went for 6-7 billion like they wanted but nobody wanted it for that price even though it was technically worth it. If the strike lasts past August theaters are cooked next year. Let’s assume today you purchased DC for 6 billion. Thanks to the strike, you won’t be able to write until at least August so any non Superman movies have to wait until 2026. Video games can be delayed (The new Suicide Squad) so you can’t necessarily count on them. Streaming is gonna pop so there goes that money. Then there’s the fact that physical media is practically dead along with comic books. Considering how they botched half of the Justice League you probably can’t even get that movie running until 2030. It would take a long time to get that cash back and it might scare people off. I’d be inclined to agree 4 billion is more reasonable but I don’t think anyone would wanna go higher. 

3 minutes ago, Vector Sigma said:

I know it sounds nuts but just because a company sets a price it doesn’t mean they’re gonna get it. I look at WWE as an example. Should have went for 6-7 billion like they wanted but nobody wanted it for that price even though it was technically worth it. If the strike lasts past August theaters are cooked next year. Let’s assume today you purchased DC for 6 billion. Thanks to the strike, you won’t be able to write until at least August so any non Superman movies have to wait until 2026. Video games can be delayed (The new Suicide Squad) so you can’t necessarily count on them. Streaming is gonna pop so there goes that money. Then there’s the fact that physical media is practically dead along with comic books. Considering how they botched half of the Justice League you probably can’t even get that movie running until 2030. It would take a long time to get that cash back and it might scare people off. I’d be inclined to agree 4 billion is more reasonable but I don’t think anyone would wanna go higher. 

Hey, not being able to produce anything because of the strikes at the moment might actually be a good thing for DC. It feels like they definitely could use a cooldown period at the moment and just focus on the Joker and on the Batman movies for now.

If I were buying DC today that's what I'd do anyway, and then reset the cinematic universe after the current Joker and the Batman trilogies come out in like 5 years time.

52 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Agreed. Beleive me, if DC was worth only 2.5 billion, Iger  would be on the phone to Zaslev as we speak.

27 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Hey, not being able to produce anything because of the strikes at the moment might actually be a good thing for DC. It feels like they definitely could use a cooldown period at the moment and just focus on the Joker and on the Batman movies for now.

If I were buying DC today that's what I'd do anyway, and then reset the cinematic universe after the current Joker and the Batman trilogies come out in like 5 years time.

Problem is it is hard for any studio to leave a potential cash cow like the DCU idle for so long.

Particulary if the studio is strapped for cash, which WB definenttly is with the debt situation.

Edited by dudalb

36 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Problem is it is hard for any studio to leave a potential cash cow like the DCU idle for so long.

Particulary if the studio is strapped for cash, which WB definenttly is with the debt situation.

Is DC a cash cow? Lol I have my doubts. Batman certainly is, but everyone else isn’t. 

and DC is about to bury Blue Beetle after this flop, just like they did Green Lantern when that film flopped! DC just needs to retire when it comes to films, it’s over! In its 40+ year history they’ve had more bombs than hits! 

• Knock It Off 3

32 minutes ago, El Gato said:

Is DC a cash cow? Lol I have my doubts. Batman certainly is, but everyone else isn’t. 

and DC is about to bury Blue Beetle after this flop, just like they did Green Lantern when that film flopped! DC just needs to retire when it comes to films, it’s over! In its 40+ year history they’ve had more bombs than hits! 

Oh man, I really missed this sort of astonishingly stupid takes from some BOT users.

• Like 2

On 7/20/2023 at 5:00 PM, Arlborn said:

Oh man, I really missed this sort of astonishingly stupid takes from some BOT users.

Would you like me to list all the misses DC has had, both critically and financially?

FAILURES (20)
Superman 3

Superman 4

Supergirl 

Batman Returns (low box office) 

Batman Forever 

Batman & Robin

Steel 

Catwoman 

Constantine 

Superman Returns 

Watchmen 

Jonah Hex 

Green Lantern 

Justice League 

Birds of Prey (low box office) 

Wonder Woman 1984

The Suicide Squad (low box office) 

Black Adam 

Shazam 2 

The Flash 

SUCCESSES (14) 

Superman 

Superman 2 

Batman 

Batman Begins 

The Dark Knight 

The Dark Knight Rises 

Man Of Steel (Critical failure)

Batman V Superman (Critical failure) 

Suicide Squad (Critical failure) 

Wonder Woman 

Aquaman 

Shazam 

The Joker 

The Batman 

Almost a 2 to 1 ratio, though MOS, BVS, SS, BOP, TSS and BR can be argued for either list, DC seems to have  1/3 of a chance at making a successful film (both critically and financially) 

edit: Forgot about Watchmen, another bomb. 

Edited by El Gato

Superman 3, Batman Returns, and Batman Forever were all commercial hits.  That moves it to 17-16 in favor of hits.  Wonder Woman 1984 was a pandemic release where the goal was to boost HBO Max, which it did very well.  That should be a success (The Suicide Squad was indeed a failure).  Superman Returns is arguably a commercial success due to its very very very weird production, as that budget includes Superman lives and all that stuff.  That puts them at 18-15 or 19-14 rate.

11 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I think announcing the reboot as soon as they did could be considered a bad decision. It sure doesn’t seem to be doing their 2023 slate any favors. In his possible defense though, maybe that was something Zaslav told him to do. I also think it was pretty pointless for them to reshoot the ending of The Flash, just so they could troll the audience with a George Clooney cameo. 

Seriously though, the timing of the DCU could not have been worse. I’m pretty certain the announcement of a new Superman wouldn’t have been nearly as divisive if WB hadn’t made a big fuss less than two months earlier over Henry Cavill’s supposed return. It doesn’t help that we still don’t have a lot of clarity on what is considered canon to the DCU. 

By the way, can we stop to acknowledge that James Wan is ready to move on from DC at this point, while Andy Muschietti is being given a Batman movie? 

I mean, and why this is bad? Would you want a director to keep working on superhero films if he didn’t want it? Wan is talented, maybe he wants to do something else. Either way, it’s up to him. I’m sure that he would find work in literally any of the studios.