BiffMan

Weekend actuals (THG $58,551,063 -61.6%)

I would say it does a minimum of 20 mill this week and then a minimum 27 mill this coming weekend. That would put it at 295 minimum. 350 is really a good possibility, but not locked.

I'm pretty sure the fact that it's going to get upwards of $350m when 9 months ago Lionsgate wasn't even positive it was going to make $100m is pretty extraordinary.

What Lions Gate thought is irrelevant in this case. Stricltly looking at the facts, which are the numbers, outside of the OW this is a very ordinary performance.

I would say it does a minimum of 20 mill this week and then a minimum 27 mill this coming weekend. That would put it at 295 minimum. 350 is really a good possibility, but not locked.

That's about where I expect it to land. Although probably more than $27m for the weekend.

That's about where I expect it to land. Although probably more than $27m for the weekend.

i just mean MINIMUM, as in worst case scenario. I have it doing about 28.5-29 mill for the weekend.

What Lions Gate thought is irrelevant in this case. Stricltly looking at the facts, which are the numbers, outside of the OW this is a very ordinary performance.

Outside of the OW, it's still probably gonna be a 200 million movie. You're a WB plant and all, but settle down, okay? This is a remarkable performance. It blasted out of the gate the same way Potter did and chances are it'll keep growing, unlike Potter did, what with it being better received by adults and being just a trilogy, and as such avoiding fatigue. I love Potter, but to me, it looks like THG will outdo it...

Outside of the OW, it's still probably gonna be a 200 million movie. You're a WB plant and all, but settle down, okay? This is a remarkable performance. It blasted out of the gate the same way Potter did and chances are it'll keep growing, unlike Potter did, what with it being better received by adults and being just a trilogy, and as such avoiding fatigue. I love Potter, but to me, it looks like THG will outdo it...

Relax with all the plant talk. You are really beating a dead horse there.Wow, so you can suddenly predict the future and know how future Hunger films will perform? Please share with us what you know about the future. I predict future Hunger films will decrease, not keep growing, but that's just my opinion.This is no more "remarkable" than the performances of the Twilight films, which themselves are not really remarkable performances, other than their frontloaded OWs. Edited by ACCA

I didn't know making 350 million at the US box office was unremarkable.That's news to me.Good to know.You learn interesting things on this board.And HG will loose its first place in 2012 to the sequel of the 2nd biggest movie of the 2000's, to an other episode of one of the biggest franchise of the 2000's and maybe to the biggest Marvel superhero movie until now.Give me break, please.What Katniss has done is History in the making.And I still don't get the stigma with movies being frontloaded.It seems to imply the movie in question is not very good.Every movie producer would wet his pants if its movies were frontloaded like Twilight while making 700 million WW every damn episode.

Edited by The Futurist

There are over 36 million copies of the Hunger Games books in print in the US alone. With such a large fanbase, I don't see how that is "remarkable". If every fan who bought one of the books saw this film just once, you're already talking about close to 300M in revenue. Plus surely some fans will see it more than once, not every fan who bought the book will see it, and some casual moviegoers here and there will see it.Hunger Games is a huge book franchise in the US, overseas not so much. Potter is the reverse. Since most Hunger Games fans are in the US, and considering how big the book sales are therefore meaning a huge built-in fanbase, then yes this performance is not that remarkable outside the OW. Is it a great performance? Yes, I've said that about it before. For me though, remarkable means something truly historical, something that catches on culturally and with the average person. This movie, whether you like it or not, is not it.

Edited by ACCA

It's remarkable on any number of levels, not least of which is the fact that it was made by a mid-major studio with no major stars in front of or behind the camera.There are also countless bestsellers that didn't come close to sniffing a $100m OW, to say nothing of $150m. (To say nothing of opening in March).I'm not even a huge THG fan (the movie diminishes the more I think about it), but its opening alone is worthy of tremendous praise. And they don't separate out first weekend grosses from total grosses: it doesn't matter how fast you make your money, just that you make it.

Edited by Telemachos

Hate me all you want. I have a different viewpoint on what "remarkable" at the box office means than some of you, simple as that.Let me make it clear one more time; the OW for this was remarkable, and the domestic finish will be great.

Hunger Games performance is definitely remarkable, however it is not keeping up its event status past opening weekend like Spider-Man and Dark Knight did. And it's going to be a frontloaded series like Twilight. Still it will sell more tickets than DH2 it seems and that is great.

I don't see why a movie's box-office performance can't be incredible and very front-loaded at the same time. It's OW was amazing. The rest of its run will be similar to other big-budget performers. Its total will be impressive, especially given the predictions beforehand.