BiffMan

Weekend actuals (THG $58,551,063 -61.6%)

To think we went from $24m on Nikki's Friday numbers at one point, to this. What a fucking nightmare this weekend was.Fake, I'm waving the white flag, you win.

Don't worry I have officially established the non-profit LLC Team-Hate-Nikki as a result of her epic trolling on us this weekend. Think of it as a recovery group.

That's another thing I hate. The fact that this film is headed to somewhere around $350m, give or take several million, is amazing. Yet, I come on here and a few people, even a couple of the big fans, make me feel like it's one giant failure by the way you're acting and talking about it.At the end of the day, a first film in a franchise that not that many people knew about a year ago will have made $500m-$600m WW on a $78m budget + $45 marketing. So everyone, fan or non-fan, talking about drops, good or bad, legs, good or bad, how "loony-fied" this may be, can kiss my ever-loving behind. :lol:

It just comes with the territory. It's all about "what have you done for me lately?" The OW was amazing. Breathtaking. Stunning. Instantly the film (and the franchise) was a huge, huge success. But given that this is a box-office forum, the numbers from that point on are fairly ordinary for a big, front-loaded franchise film.Watch: the same thing will happen with THE AVENGERS and TDKR.

It just comes with the territory. It's all about "what have you done for me lately?" The OW was amazing. Breathtaking. Stunning. Instantly the film (and the franchise) was a huge, huge success. But given that this is a box-office forum, the numbers from that point on are fairly ordinary for a big, front-loaded franchise film.Watch: the same thing will happen with THE AVENGERS and TDKR.

You make a very good point there. As impressive as THG's OW was it was always going to be very hard for the rest of its run to come off as anything but ordinary. The same will hold true for TDKR, TA, and BD2. The only one this year that won't likely be true of is The Hobbit since that should be able to post a 100m+ OW and an awesome multi to match. Edited by MovieMan89

I know. She's just in the dog house this week. She burned me bad this time, almost irreversible damage has been done :(:lol:

I will kill her if she does that to me with AvengersKill.. here....

You make a very good point there. As impressive as THG's OW was it was always going to be very hard for the rest of its run to come off as anything but ordinary. The same will hold true for TDKR, TA, and BD2. The only one this year that won't likely be true of is The Hobbit since that should be able to post a 100m+ OW and an awesome multi to match.

No. It will either open big or have a great multiplier (for the holidays that is). It is incredibly difficult to get both.

No. It will either open big or have a great multiplier (for the holidays that is). It is incredibly difficult to get both.

Difficult. Not impossible. In case you haven't noticed, it's been done before. Hobbit is set up perfectly to have both. There's almost no way it can't actually.

I hate to play what-if but I wonder how this would have played out if it opened in December or Summer... would it still have gotten that massive OW? And then better legs?

Good question. I wanna say in the summer, bigger OW, worse legs. There's more competition.

Difficult. Not impossible. In case you haven't noticed, it's been done before. Hobbit is set up perfectly to have both. There's almost no way it can't actually.

Hobbit has actually got nothing for it except for the LOTR legacy, which it will find too difficult to keep up with.The best comparisons it has got are Shrek -> Puss and X-Men -> Wolverine and these two were among the most important characters in the original series. Bilbo is like a guest character in LOTR.A significant drop in opening as well as admissions is inevitable.

the drop is very similar to Twilight's second weekend drop. The sequel should drop 70% like that movie's sequel too.

Well look on the bright side: If this movie follows the same trajectory as Twilight that will put it at roughly a $420m finish. I can live with that!

Hobbit has actually got nothing for it except for the LOTR legacy, which it will find too difficult to keep up with.The best comparisons it has got are Shrek -> Puss and X-Men -> Wolverine and these two were among the most important characters in the original series. Bilbo is like a guest character in LOTR.A significant drop in opening as well as admissions is inevitable.

The Hobbit book was just as popular as LOTR. I know a lot of people want to believe the Hobbit is some small, obscure spin off but it is not. No matter how much you want to believe it