cax16

Captain America: Brave New World | February 14, 2025 | Harrison Ford is General Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

So to be clear, your argument is the MCU having hits has no impact on future releases, but misses somehow do.

Misses show the weakness of the brand. After all, if the MCU brand was strong, a movie could make a decent box office even with not so popular characters.

Instead, current hits for the MCU seem to depend on characters popularity. That doesn't necessarily will help the brand (Guardiand of the Galaxy 3 success doesn't help The Marvels).

Edited by Kon
  • Like 2

Just now, SpiderByte said:

Fnaf also had a budget of seven dollars. Both Hunger Games and Aquaman didn't have their casts legally banned from promoting the movie.

True but is FNAF a bigger brand than Marvel? I’m not saying that there’s not a budget difference but like both appeal to a similar audience. My point for the former is that while I do think a marketing campaign would’ve helped The Marvels from bombing as bad (probably moreso along the lines of Aquaman 2/Eternals), I can’t chalk up to just the performance as it solely being the strikes. The legs also fell apart and never really recovered.

1 minute ago, Kon said:

Misses show the weakness of the brand. If the MCU brand was strong, a movie could make a decent box office even with not so popular characters.

Instead, current hits for the MCU seem to depend on characters popularity. That doesn't necessarily will help the brand (Guardiand of the Galaxy 3 success doesn't help The Marvels).

.....this argument makes no sense. So misses count against the brand, but a 800+ billion dollar hit does not count in favor of it? Only the bad examples count? Come on.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Fnaf also had a budget of seven dollars. Both Hunger Games and Aquaman didn't have their casts legally banned from promoting the movie.

I'm not sure how FNAF being cheap is related to this argument at all. FNAF didn't have cast promotion, but it could have 79M OW, while The Marvels OW wasn't close to that.

Edited by Kon

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

.....this argument makes no sense. So misses count against the brand, but a 800+ billion dollar hit does not count in favor of it? Only the bad examples count? Come on.

I've already said why the bad examples show the lack of power brand, while current hits seem to depend on characters popularity. 

I'm sorry this argument doesn't work for you. However, it's clear you would never accept the idea of the MCU brand being on weak state.

I guess we will need to wait and see Captain America 4 box office.

Edited by Kon

1 minute ago, emoviefan said:

Two and a half pages over the last hour for a movie that does not come out for 9 months and there is no breaking news about it.  It must be a MCU thread.

soft confirmation that the marvels is probably the biggest bomb of all time is something

1 minute ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

soft confirmation that the marvels is probably the biggest bomb of all time is something

Yeah for the Marvels not for Brave New World except for the around in circles argument about the future of the MCU. 

55 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

A franchise where 6 of the last 7 entires opened to $100M+ is definitely not dead. That I will absolutely agree with you on. NWH to GOTG 3 is a streak of 6 $100M openers, literally longer than anything in the Infinity Saga and the longest streak in Hollywood history. This record will probably not ever be defeated.

100M  opening doesn't matter if the holds are abysmal, like Ant-man 3, where the OW is like 50% of the total gross.

If anything that tell us the CBM is really front-loaded, most people that still care abut these movie go to see them on the first week.

2 minutes ago, Belakor said:

100M  opening doesn't matter if the holds are abysmal, like Ant-man 3, where the OW is like 50% of the total gross.

If anything that tell us the CBM is really front-loaded, most people that still care abut these movie go to see them on the first week.

It shows the movies have hype and interest. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Belakor said:

Yeah sure, all hyped movies with good WOM crash and burn after the second weekend. 

Why are you spinning what I said? I literally said "it shows the movie has hype and interest." The movies having bad word of mouth and bad legs doesn't mean they didn't have hype and interest. Like BVS had bad legs, but that doesn't mean the movie didn't have a shit ton of hype. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Oh nice, I see you reacted with the laugh emoji. Hype/interest and WOM/legs are two separate things. A movie can have massive hype and bad legs, and a movie can also have very little hype and fantastic legs.

Quantumania had a big OW but bad legs because it had a lot of hype and interest (despite what people like to say Kang absolutely was a good hook for the GA, as evidenced by fantastic early presales which meant it could've opened to 140M+ if it was well recieved) but it had bad WOM which is why it crashed. 

Edited by HummingLemon496

Moderation

We're done with this hyperbolic "this is going to be the biggest bomb in history" talk. This movie won't be out for another nine months. Why are we doing this? What do you gain? What new information are we learning? Why?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, Eric the Fall Guy said:

Moderation

We're done with this hyperbolic "this is going to be the biggest bomb in history" talk. This movie won't be out for another nine months. Why are we doing this? What do you gain? What new information are we learning? Why?

The fact you even have to come in and give these warnings.

5 minutes ago, Eric the Fall Guy said:

Moderation

Yeah that's fair I do kind of regret bumping this thread and starting an argument 🤣

I won’t add to the pile-on but I truly, truly don’t know what the hook of this movie is meant to be. Maybe if the unloved D+ show didn’t exist there’d be some curiosity. But it does exist, and it is unloved, so… what else is there? I’m asking this sincerely. 

• Like 1