cax16

Captain America: Brave New World | February 14, 2025 | Harrison Ford is General Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross

38 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

That’s not the win that LaBeouf thinks it is. Ford has more acting skills, professionalism and swag on his bones than this asshole will ever see on his life. Ford was joking, having mad fun at SDCC and clearly knows and loves his own shit, his craft and his work than he has ever given credit for. Newsflash: what Ford does at these interviews is a bit. He knows and loves Indy. He knows and loves Star Wars AND Solo. And he actually knows what he is doing and does understand the MCU more than he has given credit for. Proved with a lot of subtle hints during this interview. 

Ford is a good man and an excellent actor. LaBeouf is an asshole.

• Like 2

Labeouf may be problematic, but let's not pretend he wasn't super talented with a lot of charisma. It's what made his downfall all the more sad. I can't think of any young actor today who had the box office pull he did back in his prime.

Caught the leaked trailer. Continue to think this looks like trash. Ford’s delivery in his “presentation” and his convo with Cap (I assume this was the footage played at CinemaCon) is entirely devoid of enthusiasm or charisma. It’s the definition of a paycheck performance.

The various technical and “creative” elements continue to look lackluster, and seeing Red Hulk rise/reveal himself from behind the POTUS podium was a horrendous attempt at forced perspective. Laughably so.

12 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Caught the leaked trailer. Continue to think this looks like trash. Ford’s delivery in his “presentation” and his convo with Cap (I assume this was the footage played at CinemaCon) is entirely devoid of enthusiasm or charisma. It’s the definition of a paycheck performance.

The various technical and “creative” elements continue to look lackluster, and seeing Red Hulk rise/reveal himself from behind the POTUS podium was a horrendous attempt at forced perspective. Laughably so.

Reaction online for the leaked footage was overwhelmingly positive and rightfully so. I only caught some Red Hulk glimpses and I’m awaiting for the actual trailer, but I thought that particularly looked amazing even with a potato camera.

• Like 3

I know this will not be Winter Soldier quality. Still my number one MCU movie. But I would be happy with Black Widow quality since I think that movie is kind of  underrated and gets way more shit than it deserves.  As long it is not Secret Invasion level terrible. I assume that it what they are trying to avoid here with the reshoots. Fingers crossed as it looks good but do not want to get my hopes up and have then dashed next Feb.

2 hours ago, Mad Max007 said:

I still don't get why the first trailer didn't play in many theaters before Deadpool. Maybe because of IRL events?

Yes. They even edited that president assassination part from previous one 

I feel like Marvel films need to be one of three things to really break out these days.

1. Have an extremely likeable cast of characters everyone wants to see more of

2. Be a crazy event film with a billion A-list cameos

3. Feel like something marvel hasn't done yet

I don't think this has any of those. That doesn't mean it can't be SOLID but it's not going to wow audiences or be remembered as one of the best. People will just go "that wasn't bad" and forget about it in a month. Which won't really help the "marvel is dying" narrative.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

I feel like Marvel films need to be one of three things to really break out these days.

I don't think this has any of those. That doesn't mean it can't be SOLID but it's not going to wow audiences or be remembered as one of the best. People will just go "that wasn't bad" and forget about it in a month. Which won't really help the "marvel is dying" narrative.

My feeling and hope that considering it's opening on Presidents Day weekend DOM, the same weekend Quantamania did 2 years earlier, is that it will open with  less but have much better WOM and better legs and finish about the same. It's obvious they know what will sell this movie is Red Hulk and if that gets them in the doors and they leave happy with the overall movie than that should only help.

Edited by emoviefan

3 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

Captain America: The Winter Soldier wasn’t a crazy event with cameos and  didn’t set the box office on fire but it’s regarded by many as the best Captain America film. I don’t think Marvel or anyone is expecting Brave New World to make Deadpool & Wolverine numbers, but to be a strong and solid first entry to Sam Wilson as Captain America.

You might not like Mackie or his portrayal of Sam, but I will tell you this: the criticism I see towards Mackie and Sam are eerily similar to what I remember people saying about Chris Evans between The First Avenger and before The Winter Soldier. Steve and Sam are eerily similar men, but with very different backgrounds. They are soldiers, they aren’t one for quips like Tony or Peter. I think people online seem genuinely excited for the Brave New World trailer, I think they are leaning to a very interesting storyline with superpowers like the USA sort of entering an arms race for super powered individuals and adamantium as a replacement to Vibranium.

The implications here are quite fascinating for me. We might be talking the first steps into the USA restarting their super soldier program, which leads to Wolverine, nevermind the fact that the U.S., France, Wakanda and Atlantis were already fighting for Vibranium in Wakanda Forever. Now we know that Japan is involved somehow, which leads to another implications involving Wolverine. What I’m saying is, this film doesn’t need to break $1B, it needs to be good to establish Sam Wilson as the new Captain America. And judging by the reception of the first teaser and this D23/SDCC trailer, clearly there is hype. Also I wouldn’t shrug it off the appeal of a grounded Captain America fighting a Red Hulk and played by an Afro-American during Black History month. Black Panther exists, and what can be done can connect with the domestic market a lot.

• Like 4

On 8/5/2024 at 9:46 AM, Jaxon5 said:

Labeouf may be problematic, but let's not pretend he wasn't super talented with a lot of charisma. It's what made his downfall all the more sad. I can't think of any young actor today who had the box office pull he did back in his prime.

He is not, though 

34 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Captain America: The Winter Soldier wasn’t a crazy event with cameos and  didn’t set the box office on fire but it’s regarded by many as the best Captain America film. I don’t think Marvel or anyone is expecting Brave New World to make Deadpool & Wolverine numbers, but to be a strong and solid first entry to Sam Wilson as Captain America.

You might not like Mackie or his portrayal of Sam, but I will tell you this: the criticism I see towards Mackie and Sam are eerily similar to what I remember people saying about Chris Evans between The First Avenger and before The Winter Soldier. Steve and Sam are eerily similar men, but with very different backgrounds. They are soldiers, they aren’t one for quips like Tony or Peter. I think people online seem genuinely excited for the Brave New World trailer, I think they are leaning to a very interesting storyline with superpowers like the USA sort of entering an arms race for super powered individuals and adamantium as a replacement to Vibranium.

The implications here are quite fascinating for me. We might be talking the first steps into the USA restarting their super soldier program, which leads to Wolverine, nevermind the fact that the U.S., France, Wakanda and Atlantis were already fighting for Vibranium in Wakanda Forever. Now we know that Japan is involved somehow, which leads to another implications involving Wolverine. What I’m saying is, this film doesn’t need to break $1B, it needs to be good to establish Sam Wilson as the new Captain America. And judging by the reception of the first teaser and this D23/SDCC trailer, clearly there is hype. Also I wouldn’t shrug it off the appeal of a grounded Captain America fighting a Red Hulk and played by an Afro-American during Black History month. Black Panther exists, and what can be done can connect with the domestic market a lot.

Um Winter Soldier came out when the Marvel brand was stronger, had the character everyone associated with Captain America, and had the China and Korea market coming in strong for Marvel where they really don’t anymore. While BNW can do decently it’s ceiling is likely the 500-550m range 

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Um Winter Soldier came out when the Marvel brand was stronger, had the character everyone associated with Captain America, and had the China and Korea market coming in strong for Marvel where they really don’t anymore. While BNW can do decently it’s ceiling is likely the 500-550m range 

Cap 4 China will be around 1/4th of Cap 2 China tbh

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I strongly don’t think so. Also for BOT, Marvel brand has been dying since ironically Captain America: The Winter Soldier made less than Iron Man 3 so these kind of takes I just shrug, its crazy that people say this with how much Deadpool & Wolverine are doing at the box office and the amount of excitement that you can easily see online for Brave New World based off a leaked trailer, but to each their own.

I think they have an angle here, I think Brave New World connects deeply with some big brain plays they are doing for the MCU’s world building and I’m here for it. People are singing me the diminishings of Marvel’s brand for more than 10 years now.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I strongly don’t think so. Also for BOT, Marvel brand has been dying since ironically Captain America: The Winter Soldier made less than Iron Man 3 so these kind of takes I just shrug, its crazy that people say this with how much Deadpool & Wolverine are doing at the box office and the amount of excitement that you can easily see online for Brave New World based off a leaked trailer, but to each their own.

I think they have an angle here, I think Brave New World connects deeply with some big brain plays they are doing for the MCU’s world building and I’m here for it. People are singing me the diminishings of Marvel’s brand for more than 10 years now.

While I do think there is still a chance the movie ends up being Secret Invasion level terrible  I feel like it has a stronger chance to end up being pretty dam good not Winter Soldier good but at worst Black Widow good. Which would be fine with me.  The level of marketing they are doing 6 months out leads me to believe they are confident in the progress and fixes they are making behind the scenes. it could be misplaced confidence but fingers crossed it is not.

• Like 1

look, no one expects this movie to break the box office

a minimum of quality is required. that you can spend time having fun without wanting a masterpiece. marvel in the first 3 phases had many mediocre movies but you became attached to the characters

• Like 2