Eric Prime

Weekend Thread (6/11-13) | Friday #s - ln the Flops 5M, Peter Floppit 2 4M

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

But are people impressed when they rewatched it or when they think back on it?  Watch it again yourself.  I didn't watch it the year it came out...I watched it two years later, so I came in clear and not affected by buzz.  I thought it'd be good...and it's not.  Like really not.  

No doubt it made money that summer - but that doesn't mean it gets remembered wildly positively...

You're projecting. Crazy Rich Asians would've never become such a phenomenon if people didn't fully embrace it as a movie. This is like someone who disliked La La Land trying to argue First Man fizzled because audiences didn't enjoy the former when the massive surprise success says otherwise and the reality being they were dissimilar projects with zero connection to each other beyond some key talent involved. In the Heights is far from the first movie that failed to connect despite seemingly having everything going for it before release and won't be the last either.

• Like 8

I know 693K which Samba gave is a low number, but 

1. Samba numbers are lower than Nielsen, we have no idea which is close to actual.

2. Even 693K (considering someone watched it with family/friend actual viewers being around say 800K) gives $9-11M. For something opening $50M, $10M might not be much, but if ITH had opened $17-19M instead of $11.5M that would have much better spin around it.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

1. Samba numbers are lower than Nielsen, we have no idea which is close to actual.

2. Even 693K (considering someone watched it with family/friend actual viewers being around say 800K) gives $9-11M. For something opening $50M, $10M might not be much, but if ITH had opened $17-19M instead of $11.5M that would have much better spin around it.

How many of those 693k were going to watch In The Heights in the theaters in the first place though.

Edited by CrashBandicoot81
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

This would make sense if it was  behind a paywall like Cruella, but it's free.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1