Eric Loves Rey

2022 Box Office Predictions and Discussion

I think Fantastic Beasts can surprise and will do more than 120M.
I see a 150M$ in the US, like the second, the film looks simpler and more adventurous than the twisty Crimes Of Grindelwald.
The Harry Potter fan base remains strong.
I expect a worldwide total of $550M.

Uhm… the first Black Panther was the first of it’s kind. Also it had Chadwick and Michael B. Jordan. This film will probably market as a POC female driven superhero film and I think it won’t replicate the success of it’s predecessor. Maybe I’m underestimating it, but anything above 400 million $ is an overestimation imo.

• Like 1

I stand by what I said a few months ago on Black Panther probably having the most impact than any another MCU film mainly due to the strong hold it has had in the pop culture. A drop is to be expected but not a harsh one.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ViktorLosAngeles said:

Uhm… the first Black Panther was the first of it’s kind. Also it had Chadwick and Michael B. Jordan. This film will probably market as a POC female driven superhero film and I think it won’t replicate the success of it’s predecessor. Maybe I’m underestimating it, but anything above 400 million $ is an overestimation imo.

It won't replicate the success, but it's also not going to drop THAT much. Even (relatively) weak sequels to stronger films don't drop that harshly (AOU dropped 26.5% from TA1, TLJ dropped 33.8% from TFA, JW:FK dropped 36% from JW.)

What made BP so successful was the cultural phenomenon, and that isn't going away all of a sudden. I'd put the minimum at $450M but my expectation is something in the $525-575M range. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, YourMother said:

I stand by what I said a few months ago on Black Panther probably having the most impact than any another MCU film mainly due to the strong hold it has had in the pop culture. A drop is to be expected but not a harsh one.

Don't want to sound harsh but which impact? I mean, outside the Marvel circles and it's fans, I haven't heard anyone talking about the first film, and I live here in LA. I would say it had it's moment because it was the first of it's kind, but anything more than that would be an overstatement. Even if the drop is softer Stateside, I can see a bigger drop coming overseas.

• Like 1

In 2018 Black Panther grossed 700M in Usa, 100M in China and 550M in the rest of the world, for a $1.35B total

For its sequel I'm thinking about 500/600M in Usa, 450/500M in the rest of the world and no release in China, for a $0.9/1.1B total.  Then a lot will also depend on the quality of the film...

Edited by MG10
  • Like 2

My 2022 Summer forecast:

1. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

Opening weekend: $181 million / Domestic: $442 million

2. Thor: Love & Thunder

Opening weekend: $155 million / Domestic: $430 million

3. Jurassic World: Dominion

Opening weekend: $121 million / Domestic: $339 million

4. Lightyear

Opening weekend: $91 million / Domestic: $325 million

5. Minions 2: The Rise of Gru

Opening weekend: $70 million / Domestic: $208 million

6. Top Gun: Maverick

Opening weekend: $75 million / Domestic: $203 million

7. Black Adam

Opening weekend: $64 million / Domestic: $185 million

8. Nope

Opening weekend: $65 million / Domestic: $165 million

I've no idea what might be 9th and 10th. Maybe this Elvis movie? Idk, I don't see any +100 million this summer.

28 minutes ago, Shanks said:

Reality: 

No Way Home - 780m+

No Way Home - $573m (in 2021)

Avatar 2 prediction is also only for 15 days of 2022.

48 minutes ago, ViktorLosAngeles said:

Hmmm… How good were they at predicting before this?

the-numbers has always been overcautious in their... well, numbers. :) I think Mr. Nash will be very surprised when The Batman hits theaters.

Edited by Juby
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1