Eric Atreides

2022 Box Office Predictions and Discussion

Impossible to know without a better understanding of continued COVID impacts, the changing nature of the theater business, the state of the recovery, and what goes to streaming. That said, I could see four things winning the year - The Batman if no HBO Max release and if the box office is as "back" by March as by December, Thor: Love and Thunder if no premium release on Disney+, Black Panther II if they handle Chadwick's death in a really good way, and Avatar 2 because of sheer curiousity and the long life generated by constant FX reruns/the Disney rides. I can't see anything else winning (so not Dr. Strange or the Marvels or Jurassic World or Aquaman 2).

• Like 2

Things are still hard to predict, but that's only because things are so logjammed together to the point where it just looks silly and some moves are destined to happen (at least I hope). Mission Impossible and John Wick really need to split up from each other, as do Indiana Jones and Black Adam. I guess just move John Wick to July 15 (I know Black Panther's a week later) and Black Adam to the first weekend of August.

The Batman and Doctor Strange are also a little too close to my liking. Put Batman the weekend before President's Day. The Flash and Aquaman 2 are also kind of in bad positions too, but I have no idea where else you can put them. I guess Flash can bully Spider-Verse out of its October release (Spider-Verse to December I guess) while Aquaman just tries to co-exist with Avatar? IMAX/PLFs will be a real pain in the neck though, so I guess move it all the way to next year? I dunno. And I guess Little Mermaid, if it's coming out next year, can just get the Memorial Day slot. Maybe Mission: Impossible could move up the weekend before so both can get IMAX play.

Doing all this really does make me not envy the studio execs scheduling all this stuff. Anyways, yeah, predictions (probably too optimistic), with some of the release date changes I proposed:

1. Avatar 2: 800M

2. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever: 600M

3. Jurassic World: Dominion: 420M (weed)

4. Thor: Love and Thunder: 410M

5. The Marvels: 400M

6. The Batman: 390M

7. Aquaman 2: 355M

8. Doctor Strange 2: 350M

9. The Little Mermaid: 330M

10. Lightyear: 290M

Indiana Jones 5: 230M

Into the Spider-Verse 2: 190M

Turning Red: 180M

Mission: Impossible 7: 175M

Black Adam: 160M

John Wick 4: 155M

Jordan Peele Movie: 140M

Minions: The Rise of Gru: 130M

Puss in Boots 2 (really?): 115M

Scream 5: 110M

DC League of Super Pets: 100M

Creed III: 100M

Sonic the Hedgehog 2: 90M

Uncharted: 85M

Halloween Ends: 80M

Transformer: Rise of the Beasts: 80M

Morbius: 70M

Fantastic Beasts 3: 60M

Don't know how much of an affect D+ Premier Access will have on this year in terms of what movies get it, but I guess dock all the Disneys like 20% or something in their gross.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric is Full of Pride said:

Things are still hard to predict, but that's only because things are so logjammed together to the point where it just looks silly and some moves are destined to happen (at least I hope). Mission Impossible and John Wick really need to split up from each other, as do Indiana Jones and Black Adam. I guess just move John Wick to July 15 (I know Black Panther's a week later) and Black Adam to the first weekend of August.

The Batman and Doctor Strange are also a little too close to my liking. Put Batman the weekend before President's Day. The Flash and Aquaman 2 are also kind of in bad positions too, but I have no idea where else you can put them. I guess Flash can bully Spider-Verse out of its October release (Spider-Verse to December I guess) while Aquaman just tries to co-exist with Avatar? IMAX/PLFs will be a real pain in the neck though, so I guess move it all the way to next year? I dunno. And I guess Little Mermaid, if it's coming out next year, can just get the Memorial Day slot. Maybe Mission: Impossible could move up the weekend before so both can get IMAX play.

Doing all this really does make me not envy the studio execs scheduling all this stuff. Anyways, yeah, predictions (probably too optimistic), with some of the release date changes I proposed:

2. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever: 600M

3. Jurassic World: Dominion: 420M (weed)

5. The Marvels: 400M

6. The Batman: 390M

7. Aquaman 2: 355M

8. Doctor Strange 2: 350M

9. The Little Mermaid: 330M

10. Lightyear: 290M

Mission: Impossible 7: 175M

Black Adam: 160M

Jordan Peele Movie: 140M

Puss in Boots 2 (really?): 115M

Scream 5: 110M

Sonic the Hedgehog 2: 90M

Halloween Ends: 80M

Morbius: 70M

Fantastic Beasts 3: 60M

Don't know how much of an affect D+ Premier Access will have on this year in terms of what movies get it, but I guess dock all the Disneys like 20% or something in their gross.

Little bit low for opening weekend I think. 

Let's just start by saying we can't play by the Pre-COVID rules (but I guess you knew that) and keep in mind there could be huge underestimated films/massive dissapointments. I can't determine which films are going to rank at the end of 22',but considering all the stuff being released,the box office recovery in mayor markets as vaccinations progress and all the films that have been scheduled,it's safe to say this year will be big. Heck,maybe even more massive than 2019 itself was.

So,up until announced as July 2021,here are my predictions for mayor Hollywood tent-poles:

Morbius (January 28,2022): $350-500 million. Again,much of this is unkown,now,considering it opens little over a month after Spider-Man: No Way Home (which will probably end up as 2021's top grosser,making around what maybe Star Wars 9,Far From Home or even Iron Man 3 did) it might get more.

The Batman (March 4,2022): The first trailer was recieved nicely,if the marketing campaign fares well,and people like this,it could make what the second and third Nolan Batman films made,1,000-1100 million

Turning Red (March 11,2022): I don't see this becoming a mayor Pixar film in box office figures,still,550-650 million seems fine.

Doctor Strange In the Multiverse of Madness (March 25,2022): Many people are underestimating the fact this could be an out of control film ("madness" tittle,anyone laughing?) considering the fact that it ties directly to SM:NWH and will be released only months after,this film is bound to make at least $1.0 billion. Having said that,the number (according to my prediction) could be much higher,so I'll settle on 1,250-1,450 million.

Sonic 2 (April 8,2022): The first Sonic film expected to have over 500 million at the end of it's theatrical run. It got cut thanks to COVID,though. This sequel could fare in 2 ways: 1,the first one was just begginer's luck,and this film makes only 200 million or the second,this film fares better than it's predecessor. I guess I'll go with the second one,and you could have anywhere on the 500-700 million mark. This would be huge,and if the optimistic prediction gets done,it would make it the biggest videogame film of all-time,supasing Warcraft's 600 million.

Thor: Love and Thunder (May 6,2022): Thor:Ragnarok fared big numbers. With the inclusion of the Guardians of the Galaxy and the return of Natalie Portman,this film could be Avengers-level. Having said that,this film could end up just a little under Dr. Strange,or surpass it,who knows. I'll settle on 1,150-1,350 million.

Mission Impossible 7 (May 27,2022): Despite the popularity of this films,I don't see this movie topping 800 million,specially if released the same day as John Wick 4,despite it's unconventional opening,barely weeks ahead of the Summer 22' biggies.

John Wick 4 (May 27,2022): The last film was one of the most surprising of 2019. I guess this will make more,around 500-650 million.

Jurassic World: Dominion (June 10,2022): Kind of a safe bet here. While I don't think it will make the numbers of the first Jurassic World's 1,671 million,it could still fare around the 1,200 million mark,likely more,and compete with Marvel and Avatar for the 2022 throne.

Lightyear (June 17,2022): Unlike Turning Red,I see this one being another Summer biggie. Buzz Lightyear is the second-main face of the Toy Story franchise,so I guess this film could fare extremely well. It will likely not surpass the 1 billion mark,but it could be close around 800-950 million.

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (June 24,2022): Just let the Transformers franchise die,please. This film will likely not gross more than 700 million,specially when considering the massive amount of competition.

Minions:Rise of Gru (July 1,2022): This film was one of the safest bets to make 1 billion,like several other films in 2020 prior to the shutdown. Now considering the oversaturation of releases,this movie will likely make less than the first one. Still,1 billion is not impossible to reach.

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (July 8,2022): The Marvel bet for the Summer is still very misterious on how it will play. I don't think it will top the gross of it's predecessor or be the highest grossing film of Marvel post-Endgame (those tittles are most likely for NWH,MOM,and Thor 4) but still an incredibly big film. 1,050-1,200 seems alright for this film to be a fenomenon just like the previous one,though note: I could be underestimating and this film could make up to 1.4 billion.

Fantastic Beasts 3 (July 15,2022): Just like Transformers,this could be bound to be a dissapointment of the franchise. The last film made profit,yet became a pain considering the power of the Wizarding World in the box office. Adding that to the controversy surrounding Warner for the firing of Johny Depp,a HUGE fueler for this film,and you have the potential first flop of the frachise. 500-700 million estimate.

Indiana Jones 5 (July 29,2022): Opening the same day as Black Adam,I'm unsure how will this play out. The franchise and lead are very popular,but the competition of the Summer will be really hot. 650-800 million is my bet.

Black Adam (July 29,2022): I see 600-750 million. While I don't have the biggest faith on this project as far as audience go,The Rock could hugely fuel this film and make it a strong competitor at the chaotic Summer season.

Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (September 23,2022): Being part of the Shrek franchise,this could be the blockbuster DreamWorks desperately needs. Faring around the 700 million could do it for the studio,yet,the 2011 film made a modest 500 million,so it could go down as low as 400 million,or get the upper hand up to 800-850 million.

Spider-Verse 2 (October 7,2022): The 2018 film had such a cultural impact,that I guess this film could double what the first one made,at least 600 million. Again,this is in uncertainty,and I optimistically predict the film could have a huge splash and get up to 1 billion,maybe even rival Minions for the biggest animated movie of the year. It all depends on how things change overtime.

The Flash (November 4,2022): On one hand,this could be a DC disaster (word game,yeah) or be another 1 billion grosser. I hope for the second one though,but let's keep in mind: It opens literally a week prior to The Marvels,so both films could affect each other's respective gross.

The Marvels (November 11,2022): I don't think this will be a 1 billion grosser:it's protagonist is not popular with masses,and it opens a week after The Flash,dividing the audience into which film should they watch. The female-team up concept could be a big boost,however,so I don't think it will be a flop. I guess I'll settle on 850-950 million.

Creed 3 (November 23,2022): The last film was an inicially overlooked one. This could be the case,and end up with up to 400 million.

Aquaman 2 (December 22,2022): Yeah,this film is in a complicated thing. The Amber Heard controversy will do its bidding+it's opening at the same time as what could be a top 10 grosser of all time,specially harsh for this film to break into IMAX/3D/4D and Dolby screenings,alongside a reduced amount of showtimes. 750-800 million. Sorry,the first film made over 1 billion. This one is 90% bound to not make the same amount.

Avatar 2 (December 22,2022): By far,the biggest contender of the 2022 crown. While it will likely not top the gross of the first film,expect this one to end up at the top 10 grossers of all time. I'll settle on a pesimistic amount of 1,350 million dollars,yet,this could be the first film after Endgame to surpass the 2 billion-dollar mark,or be only the second one to open with 1 billion. Now Aquaman 2 could be keeping it kind of away from that if it opens the same date,so that's why the 1,350 million pesimistic estimate.

There are some films I'm unfamiliar on what they could do,like Uncharted,or others that are yet undefined when will they release. F&F 10 will likely release somewhere here,maybe earlier in the year so it doesn't get to compete with Marvel,DC and Avatar,yet a 1 billion contender,just because it's a Fast & Furious film. There could be a lot of sleeper hits and dissapointments of the year,honestly who knows. The biggest one benefied will be the cinemas,who will need blockbusters if they expect to survive in the Post-COVID market. So the top 10 predicted grossers go like this:

1.Avatar 2: Anywhere from the 1,350 million up to 2 billion

2. Multiverse of Madness: 1-250-1,450 million

3.Jurassic World:Dominion: Everything within the 1,200 million radious

4.Thor: Love And Thunder: 1,150-1,350 million

5.Black Panther: Wakanda Forever: 1.050 million-1.200 million

6. Minions: Rise of Gru: 1.050-1.1150 million

7. The Batman: 1.000-1.100 million

8. The Flash: Around 1.050 million

9.SpiderVerse 2: Around or little under 1 billion

10. The Marvels/Indiana Jones 5/Puss In Boots 2/Lightyear: 850 million-1 billion

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alexib said:

Let's just start by saying we can't play by the Pre-COVID rules (but I guess you knew that) and keep in mind there could be huge underestimated films/massive dissapointments. I can't determine which films are going to rank at the end of 22',but considering all the stuff being released,the box office recovery in mayor markets as vaccinations progress and all the films that have been scheduled,it's safe to say this year will be big. Heck,maybe even more massive than 2019 itself was.

So,up until announced as July 2021,here are my predictions for mayor Hollywood tent-poles:

Morbius (January 28,2022): $350-500 million. Again,much of this is unkown,now,considering it opens little over a month after Spider-Man: No Way Home (which will probably end up as 2021's top grosser,making around what maybe Star Wars 9,Far From Home or even Iron Man 3 did) it might get more.

The Batman (March 4,2022): The first trailer was recieved nicely,if the marketing campaign fares well,and people like this,it could make what the second and third Nolan Batman films made,1,000-1100 million

Turning Red (March 11,2022): I don't see this becoming a mayor Pixar film in box office figures,still,550-650 million seems fine.

Doctor Strange In the Multiverse of Madness (March 25,2022): Many people are underestimating the fact this could be an out of control film ("madness" tittle,anyone laughing?) considering the fact that it ties directly to SM:NWH and will be released only months after,this film is bound to make at least $1.0 billion. Having said that,the number (according to my prediction) could be much higher,so I'll settle on 1,250-1,450 million.

Sonic 2 (April 8,2022): The first Sonic film expected to have over 500 million at the end of it's theatrical run. It got cut thanks to COVID,though. This sequel could fare in 2 ways: 1,the first one was just begginer's luck,and this film makes only 200 million or the second,this film fares better than it's predecessor. I guess I'll go with the second one,and you could have anywhere on the 500-700 million mark. This would be huge,and if the optimistic prediction gets done,it would make it the biggest videogame film of all-time,supasing Warcraft's 600 million.

Thor: Love and Thunder (May 6,2022): Thor:Ragnarok fared big numbers. With the inclusion of the Guardians of the Galaxy and the return of Natalie Portman,this film could be Avengers-level. Having said that,this film could end up just a little under Dr. Strange,or surpass it,who knows. I'll settle on 1,150-1,350 million.

Mission Impossible 7 (May 27,2022): Despite the popularity of this films,I don't see this movie topping 800 million,specially if released the same day as John Wick 4,despite it's unconventional opening,barely weeks ahead of the Summer 22' biggies.

John Wick 4 (May 27,2022): The last film was one of the most surprising of 2019. I guess this will make more,around 500-650 million.

Jurassic World: Dominion (June 10,2022): Kind of a safe bet here. While I don't think it will make the numbers of the first Jurassic World's 1,671 million,it could still fare around the 1,200 million mark,likely more,and compete with Marvel and Avatar for the 2022 throne.

Lightyear (June 17,2022): Unlike Turning Red,I see this one being another Summer biggie. Buzz Lightyear is the second-main face of the Toy Story franchise,so I guess this film could fare extremely well. It will likely not surpass the 1 billion mark,but it could be close around 800-950 million.

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (June 24,2022): Just let the Transformers franchise die,please. This film will likely not gross more than 700 million,specially when considering the massive amount of competition.

Minions:Rise of Gru (July 1,2022): This film was one of the safest bets to make 1 billion,like several other films in 2020 prior to the shutdown. Now considering the oversaturation of releases,this movie will likely make less than the first one. Still,1 billion is not impossible to reach.

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (July 8,2022): The Marvel bet for the Summer is still very misterious on how it will play. I don't think it will top the gross of it's predecessor or be the highest grossing film of Marvel post-Endgame (those tittles are most likely for NWH,MOM,and Thor 4) but still an incredibly big film. 1,050-1,200 seems alright for this film to be a fenomenon just like the previous one,though note: I could be underestimating and this film could make up to 1.4 billion.

Fantastic Beasts 3 (July 15,2022): Just like Transformers,this could be bound to be a dissapointment of the franchise. The last film made profit,yet became a pain considering the power of the Wizarding World in the box office. Adding that to the controversy surrounding Warner for the firing of Johny Depp,a HUGE fueler for this film,and you have the potential first flop of the frachise. 500-700 million estimate.

Indiana Jones 5 (July 29,2022): Opening the same day as Black Adam,I'm unsure how will this play out. The franchise and lead are very popular,but the competition of the Summer will be really hot. 650-800 million is my bet.

Black Adam (July 29,2022): I see 600-750 million. While I don't have the biggest faith on this project as far as audience go,The Rock could hugely fuel this film and make it a strong competitor at the chaotic Summer season.

Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (September 23,2022): Being part of the Shrek franchise,this could be the blockbuster DreamWorks desperately needs. Faring around the 700 million could do it for the studio,yet,the 2011 film made a modest 500 million,so it could go down as low as 400 million,or get the upper hand up to 800-850 million.

Spider-Verse 2 (October 7,2022): The 2018 film had such a cultural impact,that I guess this film could double what the first one made,at least 600 million. Again,this is in uncertainty,and I optimistically predict the film could have a huge splash and get up to 1 billion,maybe even rival Minions for the biggest animated movie of the year. It all depends on how things change overtime.

The Flash (November 4,2022): On one hand,this could be a DC disaster (word game,yeah) or be another 1 billion grosser. I hope for the second one though,but let's keep in mind: It opens literally a week prior to The Marvels,so both films could affect each other's respective gross.

The Marvels (November 11,2022): I don't think this will be a 1 billion grosser:it's protagonist is not popular with masses,and it opens a week after The Flash,dividing the audience into which film should they watch. The female-team up concept could be a big boost,however,so I don't think it will be a flop. I guess I'll settle on 850-950 million.

Creed 3 (November 23,2022): The last film was an inicially overlooked one. This could be the case,and end up with up to 400 million.

Aquaman 2 (December 22,2022): Yeah,this film is in a complicated thing. The Amber Heard controversy will do its bidding+it's opening at the same time as what could be a top 10 grosser of all time,specially harsh for this film to break into IMAX/3D/4D and Dolby screenings,alongside a reduced amount of showtimes. 750-800 million. Sorry,the first film made over 1 billion. This one is 90% bound to not make the same amount.

Avatar 2 (December 22,2022): By far,the biggest contender of the 2022 crown. While it will likely not top the gross of the first film,expect this one to end up at the top 10 grossers of all time. I'll settle on a pesimistic amount of 1,350 million dollars,yet,this could be the first film after Endgame to surpass the 2 billion-dollar mark,or be only the second one to open with 1 billion. Now Aquaman 2 could be keeping it kind of away from that if it opens the same date,so that's why the 1,350 million pesimistic estimate.

There are some films I'm unfamiliar on what they could do,like Uncharted,or others that are yet undefined when will they release. F&F 10 will likely release somewhere here,maybe earlier in the year so it doesn't get to compete with Marvel,DC and Avatar,yet a 1 billion contender,just because it's a Fast & Furious film. There could be a lot of sleeper hits and dissapointments of the year,honestly who knows. The biggest one benefied will be the cinemas,who will need blockbusters if they expect to survive in the Post-COVID market. So the top 10 predicted grossers go like this:

1.Avatar 2: Anywhere from the 1,350 million up to 2 billion

2. Multiverse of Madness: 1-250-1,450 million

3.Jurassic World:Dominion: Everything within the 1,200 million radious

4.Thor: Love And Thunder: 1,150-1,350 million

5.Black Panther: Wakanda Forever: 1.050 million-1.200 million

6. Minions: Rise of Gru: 1.050-1.1150 million

7. The Batman: 1.000-1.100 million

8. The Flash: Around 1.050 million

9.SpiderVerse 2: Around or little under 1 billion

10. The Marvels/Indiana Jones 5/Puss In Boots 2/Lightyear: 850 million-1 billion

Sorry if my pronounciation wasn't correct,English is not my main language and I get a bit of mistakes sometimes lol.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Are we sure that Little Mermaid is coming out next year? I can't find a release date anywhere. Also, given the ties to Wandavision, I'm surprised most people have Doctor Strange 2 on the lower end.

It doesn't have a set release date yet. Filming is supposed to conclude in August so there's a strong chance it comes out next year. Depending on how long production on Indiana Jones 5 (which was only a few weeks into filming) is halted for Ford's recovery it might end up taking its July 29 spot. With Snow White also beginning to come together I imagine we'll be getting another big batch of Disney release date announcements sooner than later.

• Like 1

Release dates feel a bit more set in stone at this point, though it still seems ridiculous at some points, especially when it comes to...all of DC's movies. But now, some updated predictions

2. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever: 650M

3. Jurassic World: Dominion: 425M

6. Doctor Strange 2: 390M

7. The Marvels: 375M

8. The Batman: 325M

9. Aquaman 2: 295M

10. Lightyear: 285M

The Flash: 270M

Mario: 250M

Top Gun 2: 215M

Mission: Impossible 7: 215M

Black Adam: 185M

Nope: 140M

Scream 5: 120M

Puss in Boots 2: 115M

Halloween Ends: 110M

Sonic the Hedgehog 2: 100M

Morbius: 95M

Salem's Lot: 95M

Fantastic Beasts 3: 90M

Elvis: 90M

Bros: 80M

Bob's Burgers: 65M

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Eric Soprano said:

Release dates feel a bit more set in stone at this point, though it still seems ridiculous at some points, especially when it comes to...all of DC's movies. But now, some updated predictions

2. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever: 650M

3. Jurassic World: Dominion: 425M

6. Doctor Strange 2: 390M

7. The Marvels: 375M

8. The Batman: 325M

9. Aquaman 2: 295M

10. Lightyear: 285M

The Flash: 270M

Mario: 250M

Top Gun 2: 215M

Mission: Impossible 7: 215M

Black Adam: 185M

Nope: 140M

Scream 5: 120M

Puss in Boots 2: 115M

Halloween Ends: 110M

Sonic the Hedgehog 2: 100M

Morbius: 95M

Salem's Lot: 95M

Fantastic Beasts 3: 90M

Elvis: 90M

Bros: 80M

Bob's Burgers: 65M

Remember what happened with Scre4m before going so high with number 5.

I’d like to throw my hat in the ring.

1. Avatar 2: 650M/2.8B

2. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever: 600M/1.3B

3. Jurassic World: Dominion: 435M/1.4B

4. Thor: Love and Thunder: 420M/1.25B

6. The Marvels: 390M/1.15B

7. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness: 365M/975M

8. The Batman: 365M/950M

9. Lightyear: 305M/900M

10. Aquaman 2: 280M/1B (though I’m betting either this or Flash goes to 2023)

Mario: 265M/750M

The Flash: 250M/850M

Top Gun 2: 235M/775M

Indiana Jones 5: 230M/800M 

Mission: Impossible 7: 220M/835M

Into the Spider-Verse 2: 190M/420M

Sonic 2: 170M/435M

Turning Red: 160M/430M

Black Adam: 155M/600M

John Wick 4: 155M/375M

Nope: 150M/240M

Salem’s Lot: 140M/250M