Valonqar

Dune OS Thread: DESERT POWER 400.2M WW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (292.3M OS)

39 minutes ago, Sano said:

Yes, so it did surpass BR2049 after all! Hopefully legs are good.

Loving the "Desert Power" meme.

I think it's fair to expect UK legs to be better than domestic and that might tell the difference between DaD & solely theatrical release. US & UK are very near comparisons for this kind of movie. E.g. Interstellar had almost exact legs in both. BR2049 a bit better in UK and Arrival the other way around. All, in all, if Dune gets e.g. 2.8 domestically and 3.6 in the UK, it's fair to say that without HBO Max Dune would have gotten 3.6 domestically and then some. We'll see...

Multiplier comparisons for domestic DaD & UK theatrical (not sure if pandemic affected US or UK more at these times...):

TSS Aug 6th US 2.13 / UK 4.3 July 30th

Conjuring June 4th US 2.72 / UK 3.35 May 28th

South Korea is actually doing great. By Monday after the first week it has around $3.5m which is almost 50% more than BR2049 got during its whole run and it's almost as much as Japan ($3.7m) after 2nd weekend!

Disappointing results in Japan. Barely $6-7m at the end whereas BR2049 did $10.5m. Partly due to not fully recovered box office but what's your take @Issac Newton on why Dune is doing so bad in Japan?

UK had more than a good start. Now the difference with bad and great legs there could be between $23-30m in total. The same there as in the US: Dune has PLFs until Nov 5th when Eternals arrive but with solely theatrical release, Europe has shown great legs overall, and BR2049 hauled $25m it's looking good so far.

Still expecting $220-230m internationally excluding China. Biggest single factors are UK legs and how much Australia's late opening brings in.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, von Kenni said:

Disappointing results in Japan. Barely $6-7m at the end whereas BR2049 did $10.5m. Partly due to not fully recovered box office but what's your take @Issac Newton on why Dune is doing so bad in Japan?

Sci-fi are losing ground here (Last best (Q4) was Tenet ¥2.73B). Bad release strategy. Too much competition with local releases including NTTD. I suggest it should have arrived early atleast a week before NTTD for a target of ¥1B+ /$8.8M+. Other than that Market in last two years has been worst for Imported Film. Barely, four film passed ¥1B here this year. Black Widow ended ¥900M and Shang Chi ending at ¥960M, so Dune flopping is no longer shocking. 

Black Widow Box Office was affected by Disney+ premium access as two major theatre chain rejected to screen the film.

Edited by Issac Newton
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, von Kenni said:

If the cast can sing one or two songs during the film, this probably will triple in Japan 

I hope I get to create Dune 2 OS Thread because I really love updating Dune OS Thread, in particular cause the movie was an underdog so there was never as many posters as in an average Marvel thread for example. But everyone's really passionate with updates from different countries, so that is a great experience worth repeating. If you'll have me that is. :)

• Like 5

Thanks for blessings and likes! :cloud9: @Elessar @Felipe @von Kenni

@ThomasNicole @Last Man Standing

@el sid

so DuneFam, what kind of jump can we expect for Dune 2. Obviously, Europe (Including Russia) will blow up since it did during the pandemic. Asia looks disinterested at least China and Japan. How about LATAM? Mexico is good but Brazil underperformed? 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Thanks for blessings and likes! :cloud9: @Elessar @Felipe @von Kenni

so DuneFam, what kind of jump can we expect for Dune 2. Obviously, Europe (Including Russia) will blow up since it did during the pandemic. Asia looks disinterested at least China and Japan. How about LATAM? Mexico is good but Brazil underperformed? 

Piracy is a BIG problem in Brazil, in my city the single IMAX screen we have is always full, but outside is pretty dead. I can see the sequel doing way better without the day and date release.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Felipe said:

Piracy is a BIG problem in Brazil, in my city the single IMAX screen we have is always full, but outside is pretty dead. I can see the sequel doing way better without the day and date release.

Great feedback! Yes, without Max nonsense that produced piracy Dune 2 should more than double Dune. 

6 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I hope I get to create Dune 2 OS Thread because I really love updating Dune OS Thread, in particular cause the movie was an underdog so there was never as many posters as in an average Marvel thread for example. But everyone's really passionate with updates from different countries, so that is a great experience worth repeating. If you'll have me that is. :)

I love supporting the “underdog”. I mean in a sense, people were understating and beating down on Dune’s BO way before it was released.

BOT is filled with MCU fans and it is really sometimes very refreshing to see people passionate with updates and active threads on other franchises. Cheers!

• Like 5