MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

Here’s Neg’s VFX Supervisor himself saying that this shit is inaccurate. But I guess Daniel is desperate to look for a reason to be mad too. So what do I or people that actually are working on this film know what they are talking, am I right?

God Nolan is giving us the atom bomb with no CGI shots and how dare I come here and say that it’s not true, it’s all practical and the VFX team created magic where CGI shots weren’t used at all. It’s an interesting hill to die on indeed.

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Here’s Neg’s VFX Supervisor himself saying that this shit is inaccurate. But I guess Daniel is desperate to look for a reason to be mad too. So what do I or people that actually are working on this film know what they are talking, am I right?

God Nolan is giving us the atom bomb with no CGI shots and how dare I come here and say that it’s not true, it’s all practical and the VFX team created magic where CGI shots weren’t used at all. It’s an interesting hill to die on indeed.

Sigh 

https://www.educba.com/vfx-vs-cgi/#:~:text=VFX stands for Visual Effects,stands for Computer Generated Imagery.&text=VFX are used to create,videos%2C and other digital work.

Just now, WittyUsername said:

Dude… die on this hill. Sure, my bad, Nolan was totally not lying.

People that actually work on VFX are just out to get him, that’s all.

49 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

That’s blatant ignorance of what CGI is and what does. Ignorance that Nolan seems cool with passing it on and his fanboys hilariously eat it up. I love the man, I love his films, but that’s non sense and disrespectful with the people that work on his films.

It’s the whole three acts of a ‘magic’ act that Nolan has been doing his whole career, but when it comes at the cost of people’s work on his films to make it him look cooler it’s not cute, I’m glad VFX people are talking about it on film threads / old place today.

The article that said this doesn't even have a quote from Nolan. I have no clue what he even said. No one does except for Steve Weintraub. He could've said "none of the shots are entirely CGI" or said that "we used CGI to assist some of the shots", all of which is true for his last two movies. This is quite literally what the tweet you posted said Nolan might be talking about. Blame Steve Weintraub and Collider for making a shitty article. 

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Dude… die on this hill. Sure, my bad, Nolan was totally not lying.

People that actually work on VFX are just out to get him, that’s all.

Dude, seriously, we know the movie has CGI. Please go read the article instead of going off a clickbaity headline. 

Edited by WittyUsername

13 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The article that said this doesn't even have a quote from Nolan. I have no clue what he even said. He could've said "none of the shots are entirely CGI" or said that "we used CGI to assist some of the shots". This is quite literally what the tweet you posted said Nolan might be talking about. Blame Steve Weintraub and Collider for making a shitty article. 

Everyone is to blame but Nolan, I guess.

And FWIW: I doubt this interview will ever see the light of the day since it’s an obvious bad look, but Frosty’s interviews are usually recorded and made available close to the film’s release. I love Nolan; I love his films. I just hate the whole aura around him that he obviously cultivates and it’s bad for people that work on his films, which take a village to be made. Just look at what the VFX supervisor of Oppenheimer is RTing and liking on his profile. That’s what I’m talking about, one of the most underrated and underpaid class of professions in Hollywood, oddly enough I’d argue that even more under appreciated than stunt coordinators for some odd reason. We all know how film blog media coverage mostly sucks. But it’s not like Nolan and other directors don’t use this on their favor either.

Edited by ZattMurdock

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Everyone is to blame but Nolan, I guess.

That is quite literally what I am saying and what Scott Derrickson was saying, man. None of the shots were composed with CGI, which again is true for his last two films. The important word here is composed.

This is a shot composed using CGI:

Inception – [FILMGRAB]

This is not:

Here's how the effects teams on 'Tenet' pulled off those crazy time-bending  scenes - befores & afters

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

That is quite literally what I am saying and what Scott Derrickson was saying, man. None of the shots were composed with CGI, which again is true for his last two films. The important word here is composed.

This is a shot composed using CGI:

Inception – [FILMGRAB]

This is not:

Here's how the effects teams on 'Tenet' pulled off those crazy time-bending  scenes - befores & afters

I don’t think you can make that claim. And I mean that having seen Tenet and the extras. There is a reason why Nolan’s reputation among the VFX crowd isn’t good. My take is that most of his films have CGI shots and we don’t really know neither truly want to know. The mystique around him sells his films sure, but I imagine there is actually CGI shots all around Tenet, maybe including this scene. I’m not a VFX person, I just follow a lot of them.

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

See the edit.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard Nolan say that his films never use CGI. Just that he tries to avoid it as much as possible. I think most people with common sense are well aware that those were not real bats flying around in Batman Begins, and that the money burning scene in TDK probably wasn’t real either. 

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t think I’ve ever heard Nolan say that his films never use CGI. Just that he tries to avoid it as much as possible. I think most people with common sense are well aware that those were not real bats flying around in Batman Begins, and that the money burning scene in TDK probably wasn’t real either. 

Funny how you use an obvious example for this. And while I wouldn’t say that Frosty is the best film reporter out there, I do believe he isn’t lying when he said that Nolan did say that "there is no CGI shots" on his latest film. I have a problem when Nolan’s magic tricks come at the cost of the stigma of the people that actually work on his film. The gist of it is that despite Nolan being a master of his craft and certainly a genius, yes there are CGI shots on his films. All of them. Including Oppenheimer, not just the obvious bat CGI shots in Batman Begins.

13 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Funny how you use an obvious example for this. And while I wouldn’t say that Frosty is the best film reporter out there, I do believe he isn’t lying when he said that Nolan did say that "there is no CGI shots" on his latest film. I have a problem when Nolan’s magic tricks come at the cost of the stigma of the people that actually work on his film. The gist of it is that despite Nolan being a master of his craft and certainly a genius, yes there are CGI shots on his films. All of them. Including Oppenheimer, not just the obvious bat CGI shots in Batman Begins.

I used the obvious examples to illustrate my point about how even people who aren’t well versed in filmmaking should be aware that Nolan’s films have CGI, hence why I said “most people with common sense.”

Seriously, where are you getting this idea that Christopher Nolan wants people to believe he’s some expert magician who can do what no other filmmaker can do? To my knowledge, there have been no quotes from him where he claimed that his movies have absolutely no CGI. All he’s been on record of saying is that he prefers to use practical effects whenever possible. 

Edited by WittyUsername

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I used the obvious examples to illustrate my point about how even people who aren’t well versed in filmmaking should be aware that Nolan’s films have CGI, hence why I said “anyone with common sense.”

Seriously, where are you getting this idea that Christopher Nolan wants people to believe he’s some expert magician who can do what no other filmmaker can do? To my knowledge, there have been no quotes from him where he claimed that his movies have absolutely no CGI. All he’s been on record of saying is that he prefers to use practical effects whenever possible. 

Like I’ve said: I believe Frosty isn’t lying when he is quoting Nolan on his interview and following tweets. Yes film blog media coverage leads to a lot of misinformation and we are likely never seeing this bit of interview coming to light since it’s an obvious bad look, but there is a lot of an ‘aura’ to Nolan’s films being very practical made and while that’s cool, it’s just not accurate. If it’s bad here on a film focused message board, it’s even worse on social media, especially those that aren’t that interested on film and how the sausage is made to begin with.

The dynamic on VFX social media today was the following: VFX people didactically explaining that these claims about Nolan’s films, including Oppenheimer is wrong and stigmatizing to VFX, which leads to the issue of them being under appreciated and underpaid; meanwhile you have Nolan fanboys attacking those explaining this, even the dude that is actually working on Oppenheimer, well,  CGI shots, which is even more mind boggling.

Edited by ZattMurdock

Just now, ZattMurdock said:

I don’t think you can make that claim. And I mean that having seen Tenet and the extras. There is a reason why Nolan’s reputation among the VFX crowd isn’t good. My take is that most of his films have CGI shots and we don’t really know neither truly want to know. The mystique around him sells his films sure, but I imagine there is actually CGI shots all around Tenet, maybe including this scene. I’m not a VFX person, I just follow a lot of them.

It's not that hard to tell if a shot was created virtually. The shot I posted a composite of two identical buildings exploding. There is actual footage of the buildings exploding. Could Nolan mention all the hardwork artists did to clean up shots, composite, rotoscope, etc? Sure. And he has before (he admitted Tenet still had complex VFX even if every shot was in-camera).

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

It's not that hard to tell if a shot was created virtually. The shot I posted a composite of two identical buildings exploding. There is actual footage of the buildings exploding. Could Nolan mention all the hardwork artists did to clean up shots, composite, rotoscope, etc? Sure. And he has before (he admitted Tenet still had complex VFX even if every shot was in-camera).

That’s the point. Good CGI isn’t even noticeable. I’m pretty sure that this scene has CGI just like any other of the big VFX scenes, they are just too good for us to notice. Nolan being more open about the process and more humble about how he achieves this with yeah, CGI shots would be less cool and bad ass, but more closer to the truth.

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Like I’ve said: I believe Frosty isn’t lying when he is quoting Nolan on his interview and following tweets. Yes film blog media coverage leads to a lot of misinformation and we are likely never seeing this bit of interview coming to light since it’s an obvious bad look, but there is a lot of an ‘aura’ to Nolan’s films being very practical made and while that’s cool, it’s just not accurate. If it’s bad here on a film focused message board, it’s even worse on social media, especially those that aren’t that interested on film and how the sausage is made to begin with.

The dynamic on VFX social media today was the following: VFX people didactically explaining that these claims about Nolan’s films, including Oppenheimer is wrong and stigmatizing to VFX, which leads to the issue of them being under appreciated and underpaid; meanwhile you have Nolan fanboys attacking those explaining this, even the dude that is actually working on Oppenheimer, well,  CGI shots, which is even more mind boggling.

If randos on Twitter want to believe there’s no CGI in his films, that’s their fault. Nolan has never claimed something like that. 

• Like 1