MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

3 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

Can somebody tell me the rationale behind these review embargos (Barbie is doing the same) so close to release date for movies that everybody expects to get very positive reviews? It makes no sense. 

I thought these were used to "hide" the reviews of disappointing films.

Sometimes it's to hide a bad movie, sometimes it's to hide spoilers. 

Oppenheimer has multiple sold out screenings here and don't ask me about IMAX, they all gone since first day of ATS a week ago. More hype and packed than other Nolan films here.

Indonesia people all hype up to see the process, the creator, the BTS and the explosion of the nuke that played a major role on set us free from Japanese colonizers and gained our independence in 1945 it seems. We have personal beef to old Japan and want to see the nuke as realistic as it can... 😂💀

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

53 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

He's crazy most of the time, not really surprised.

Every year his top 25 is half a series of overly subtle indies I've never heard of...and I pay attention to the smaller films too. NY critics have a reputation for being pretentious and he may be the worst of them. 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

6 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Is there a particular reason it looks like this won’t get a china release? The country wasn’t exactly friendly with Japan during WW2. 

The whole thing is kind of embarrassing for China. That time period was part of their "Century of Humiliation." I don't think they like the fact that their #1 rival at the moment was also the country that played a major role in defeating Japan. It's an inconvenient truth in history for the Chinese government. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

The whole thing is kind of embarrassing for China. That time period was part of their "Century of Humiliation." I don't think they like the fact that their #1 rival at the moment was also the country that played a major role in defeating Japan. It's an inconvenient truth in history for the Chinese government. 

It's so funny how paranoid they are about their image. 

1 hour ago, hasanahmad said:

David seems to have lost his mind 

K5lbxfw.png

guy seems desperate for attention. he wants some of the best parts of the movie cut out. the role which people say will win an acting oscar cut out and can't articulate why. maybe because that opinion is bone headed?

Ehrlich is a hack. Always has been. This is his schtick for more than a decade now. I don’t understand why people give him a pass and Armond White is seen as a troll reviewer. Both of them are. One is black and the other is an average white dude, so that’s likely the why.

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Is there a particular reason it looks like this won’t get a china release? The country wasn’t exactly friendly with Japan during WW2. 

China actually was one of the ally in  WW2 Asia Pacific scheme. China and USA were on the same side during the war. 

But the reason why Oppy may be banned because:

1. Even though it depicts about nuke in WW2 where they were an ally, The China back then was a different China. The old China (now only Taiwan) was friendly to US. But in 1949, it falls to communism until now which is the current Communist China we know. The communist China has cold relationship with US. So yeah, different China from back then so no reason why Current China should release it for old time sake.

2. Documentary about US military. Anything about US military in specific will be almost prohibited instantly

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Claudio said:

China actually was one of the ally in  WW2 Asia Pacific scheme. China and USA were on the same side during the war. 

But the reason why Oppy may be banned because:

1. Even though it depicts about nuke in WW2 where they were an ally, The China back then was a different China. The old China (now only Taiwan) was friendly to US. But in 1949, it falls to communism until now which is the current Communist China we know. The communist China has cold relationship with US. So yeah, different China from back then so no reason why Current China should release it for old time sake.

2. Documentary about US military. Anything about US military in specific will be almost prohibited instantly

So what do they teach the kids in school? Do they mention anything about Hiroshima & Nagasaki? Or do they pretend that none of it happened? China magically won the war against Japan without any help. Lol

33 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Every year his top 25 is half a series of overly subtle indies I've never heard of...and I pay attention to the smaller films too. NY critics have a reputation for being pretentious and he may be the worst of them. 

Yep

10 minutes ago, iamjesuisiam said:

Funnily enough, the film is R-rated in US. Whereas in France, the film is for all audiences. We don't have the same relationship to nudity.

Nudity is actually REQUIRED to receive a general audiences rating.

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

So what do they teach the kids in school? Do they mention anything about Hiroshima & Nagasaki? Or do they pretend that none of it happened? China magically won the war against Japan without any help. Lol

I mean, they definitely teach this part of history to kids, if anything, way more than Japan about the truth. The Nanjing Masscare nightmare is engrained in every Chinese kid's brain. Even as a Chinese Canadian who didn't exactly grow up in China, just accidentally looking at the pictures once was enough to scar me for life.

1 hour ago, tonytr87 said:

Sure, but... let's not start this bit. Even movies that time have held up as true undisputed masterpieces would probably get some mixed or bad reviews nowadays, with the critical landscape being what it is. Don't focus on this.

We'll know soon enough, but this looks to be one of the strongest critical receptions of Nolan's career, and also looking to deliver huge numbers, especially for a 3 hour biopic with on-screen banging but no fisticuffs. Strong early contender for a few Oscars, so it will stay in the public consciousness for a long time and probably get an award re-release (especially if the strike is over and they can get the likes of RDJ, Blunt and Murphy out there to push them hard). Hell, any year that didn't have Scorsese with a winner would probably see this as the huge favourite going into the Oscars, making the inevitable wins by the small, newcomer-directed flicks that much more painful lol.

Again, it could end up collapsing at the box office in its second weekend, but PLF demand makes that unlikely. So it pretty much looks like an uncontested win for Nolan and Uni.

So Universal's official account on Weibo just posted: "See you on the big screen."

Reading through the comments it seems like that's an indication that it's approved for release in China?

First time tracking these things, not sure if it's true.

large.Screenshot2023-07-19at3_57_16AM.png

《奥本海默》内地官宣确认引进。据悉届时公映版本一刀不剪与其他市场时长一致,部分画面和其他部分国家一样有技术处理,不过该处理并非是内地市场特供,和国外是同一版本。

Oppenheimer's mainland official announcement confirmed the introduction. It is reported that the release version will have the same duration as other markets, and some scenes will be processed in the same way as in other countries. However, this processing is not for the mainland market, and it is the same version as overseas.

They are targeting V-J Day for Chinese Release.

• Like 4