MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

3 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I noticed this but wondered if it was possibly a stylistic choice? The 48-star US flag was featured in other scenes.

If that was a mistake, a different director would just fix it with CGI...

Did anybody call Nolan anti-America? Because same mistake would be seen as anti-China here.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Brainbug said:

How did you find the score? I thought it was fantastic.

I thought it was terribly effective at times, but the movie is very overscored. There are a lot of scenes that didn't need music.

I've ordered the 2xCD from Mondo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

Did anybody call Nolan anti-America? Because same mistake would be seen as anti-China here.

The types who normally attack Hollywood for being anti-American are busy being angry at Barbie. Back in 2018, they did go after First Man as "unpatriotic" for not showing the moment the flag was planted on the moon, even though you do see the flag on the moon and US flags all throughout the movie. The attacks were from people who hadn't seen it and were saying "Hollywood erased the American flag!" and stirring up a boycott.

I doubt this Oppenheimer thing will be a true political outrage, but people who don't like the movie might say, "This is what happens when British* directors try to recreate American history!" or criticize the prop department people or continuity for being sloppy/lazy. 

On the other hand, a lot of people will say you're a hater to notice, how could you tell without stopping the frame to count (because the 48-star pattern is totally different?), it's no big deal, or it was on purpose.

*I know that Nolan is also American, but that doesn't matter for the outrage machine.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

Tired of people and their crappy takes on why Oppenheimer should have been another type of movie. Of course Altman is not stupid here - he hasn’t missed the message, he just doesn’t like it (and the implications for the AI sector) 

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Also been wondering why Schrader loved this so much and its because it directly taps into the paranoia and anger of his last couple films (especially First Recormed)

I heard his recent interview with Marc Maron not too long ago. His strict religious upbringing and education informs much of his work and early career as a film critic. European cinema was a culture shock to him. A man raised in a very calculated moral sphere contending with a world of so many shades.

Edited by ThePhasmid
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, hasanahmad said:

they weren't undeveloped. they showed as much as they were evident in Oppenheimer's life. Remember this is shown from his perspective mostly and very little is shown from the other perspective (the government).. His level of depth is the same as that of who was played by Rami Malek or Josh Hartnett. Also Pugh character was in very small parts of Oppenheimer's life and it showed as such

Oppenehimer's childhood was a part of his life, too. This film about Oppenheimers life chooses not to show it because its irrelevant to the viewer of the film as it doesn't impact Oppenehimer's actions or final place as a character and would feel like random filler which a 3 hr film no about doesn't need- the exact same can be said for Pugh's character who is of absolutely no consequence at all. It can also mostly be said for RDJ character.

Thinking about it, I don't think they need to remove either character, they simply should have done a MUCH better job showing how Pugh's life caused Oppenheimer's views to shift after the bomb was used. Downey could have been used to establish why he lost his security clearance without the constantly back and fourth.

I know I am aging some people here, but a common crowd critique of THE AVIATOR was that the courtroom stuff went on too long, especially considering its ultimately went nowhere. Scorsese wisely saved the triumphant spruce goose scene for the end so that the court room scenes didn't drain the film of energy, which is pretty much what happened here.

Edited by excel1

8 hours ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

I think it was the best part of the movie. And RDJ character just blossoms in these last 40 minutes.

It's well done for what is and I am sure some appreciate it more than I do. Personally, I just felt RDJ's monologue at the end was totally unearned and random. IMO to feel justified, the 2 men needed a lot more time together on screen AND the justification needed to be a lot stronger than 

Spoiler

Oppenheimer told a quick joke at a hearing that RDJ took offense to & RDJ later wasn't sure why Einstein ignored him in a one off interaction... They had already shown RDJ to be arrogant AF, feels out of character to be so slighted. That entire angle should have been reworked. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

It’s haunting how this dude looks a lot more like a young Harrison Ford in this picture than he ever did on Solo.

he still does not look like Ford, is what it is, lesson to be learned

3 minutes ago, excel1 said:

he still does not look like Ford, is what it is, lesson to be learned

No, don’t get me wrong, I don’t think he should play Ford roles ever again. That’s not my point. My point is that at least in this particular picture, I thought that was young Harrison Ford first before thinking it was him. That never happened before.

58 minutes ago, Redolent said:

Tired of people and their crappy takes on why Oppenheimer should have been another type of movie. Of course Altman is not stupid here - he hasn’t missed the message, he just doesn’t like it (and the implications for the AI sector) 

A. Yep, we sure need more tech billionaires. So glad TSN inspired them (lol)

B. If it's a movie based on Oppenheimer's life or the creation of a weapon of mass destruction, how in the world would it inspire kids to be physicists unless it's to serve their real dream of destroying the world?

As you said, a stupid take.

56 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Oppenehimer's childhood was a part of his life, too. This film about Oppenheimers life chooses not to show it because its irrelevant to the viewer of the film as it doesn't impact Oppenehimer's actions or final place as a character and would feel like random filler which a 3 hr film no about doesn't need- the exact same can be said for Pugh's character who is of absolutely no consequence at all. It can also mostly be said for RDJ character.

Thinking about it, I don't think they need to remove either character, they simply should have done a MUCH better job showing how Pugh's life caused Oppenheimer's views to shift after the bomb was used. Downey could have been used to establish why he lost his security clearance without the constantly back and fourth.

I know I am aging some people here, but a common crowd critique of THE AVIATOR was that the courtroom stuff went on too long, especially considering its ultimately went nowhere. Scorsese wisely saved the triumphant spruce goose scene for the end so that the court room scenes didn't drain the film of energy, which is pretty much what happened here.

considering this is a biopic focused on a part of oppenheimer's life. which is why his youth OR his life in the bahamas later is not covered

I did a Nolan comp chart. Not sure if this really tells us anything, except to say it's an almost unimpeachable track record both critically and in terms of BO.

RT Crit RT Aud CS OW Domestic Total Multi Comments
Memento 93% 94% - $235,488 $25,544,867 n/a no wide opening
Insomnia 92% 77% B 20,930,169 67,355,513 3.22  
Batman Begins 84% 94% A 48,745,440 205,343,774 4.21 5 DAY OW
The Prestige 76% 92% B 14,801,808 53,089,891 3.59  
The Dark Knight 94% 94% A 158,411,483 533,345,358 3.37  
Inception 87% 91% B+ 62,785,337 292,576,195 4.66  
TDKR 87% 90% A 160,887,295 448,139,099 2.79  
Interstellar 73% 86% B+ 47,510,360 188,020,017 3.96  
Dunkirk 92% 81% A- 50,513,488 188,045,546 3.72  
Tenet 69% 76% B 9,353,090 58,504,105 6.26 covid
AVERAGE 85% 88% - 63,770,941 226,046,611 3.54  
Oppenheimer 94% 94% A 80,000,000 283,573,185 3.54  

Early days but RT critics/aud & CS are all in line with TDK. Still surprised at the B+ for Inception. Dunkirk feels like the closest comparison (historical, 'dad' movie, summer weekdays) but on a bigger scale and with bigger numbers.

Trying to extrapolate what this could mean for Oppy. Based on Nolan's 'average' multi of 3.54 (and assuming an $80m OW) gets us to $283.5m. A 4 multi gets us to $320m. Dunkirk feels like a realistic target - which gets us to $300m more or less. I'm also assuming there'll be some Christmas/Winter IMAX re-releases when it's nominated for the inevitable 10+ Oscars.

• Like 1