MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

3 hours ago, stonehenge said:

Thanks for sharing! I will admit, I'm a huge Nolan fan but I almost never immediately "love" his movies right after finishing the first viewing. They are always so much to take in and process, and I often find that I fall in love with them only after seeing them a few times. Do you think that's kinda what's going on with this one as well? Also, any thoughts on the reviewers who said the last hour was boring? Not asking for specifics (I wanna know as little as possible before watching this).

I usually feel pretty certain about Nolan movies whenever I first see them, this is the most I've had to take in and process that I'm not entirely sure about. Mostly in how it flows from scene to scene and how certain characters are handled. About the last hour, that's wwhere a lot of my favorite things in the movie happen, I didn't find it any more "boring" than the rest of it (it's not boring). I think I can see what about it makes them feel like they're checking out a bit, but I found that to be some of the most captivating stuff.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rayjulio said:

just want to ask about the rewatchability of this compare to other nolan movies ? and also if there is any other nolan movies that people might remind of after watching this ? 

This may require a rewatch for many just to get on its wavelength properly, but in terms of just enjoyability it's not really entertaining in the way a lot of his other movies are (purposefully ofc). I can't imagine my mother even getting through one viewing of it. The Nolan movies it reminded me of the most are Dunkirk and The Prestige - aka my two favorite ones, which should naturally sound great for Oppenheimer, and it mostly does. A non-Nolan movie I'd throw in for sure is Social Network.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

This may require a rewatch for many just to get on its wavelength properly, but in terms of just enjoyability it's not really entertaining in the way a lot of his other movies are (purposefully ofc). I can't imagine my mother even getting through one viewing of it. The Nolan movies it reminded me of the most are Dunkirk and The Prestige - aka my two favorite ones, which should naturally sound great for Oppenheimer, and it mostly does. A non-Nolan movie I'd throw in for sure is Social Network.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

On a scale of 1-10 how ‘risqué’ are the sex / nudity scenes? 🥸

1 minute ago, Redolent said:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

On a scale of 1-10 how ‘risqué’ are the sex / nudity scenes? 🥸

Oh I wouldn't say they're that risqué at all - assuming we don't count merely showing a nude person as enough to be shocking. There is one moment that surprised me that Nolan of all people made that decision. Not that it's hardcore or anything, just that I wasn't expecting something like it in a Nolan movie, but again the actual nudity is normal. We're not in Gaspar Noé territory quite yet.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

thanks, while dunkirk isnt probably top 3 in many general audience choice for nolan movies. the prestige sure it is, also social network is one of the most brilliant movies i've ever seen and very enjoyable despite many dialogue. 

so i guess my prediction 90% rt critics and 85% audience score, hopefully at least A- cinemascore. nolan movie seems like never get high cinema score. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I usually feel pretty certain about Nolan movies whenever I first see them, this is the most I've had to take in and process that I'm not entirely sure about. Mostly in how it flows from scene to scene and how certain characters are handled. About the last hour, that's wwhere a lot of my favorite things in the movie happen, I didn't find it any more "boring" than the rest of it (it's not boring). I think I can see what about it makes them feel like they're checking out a bit, but I found that to be some of the most captivating stuff.

Spoiler

Is the last part of it 'courtroom drama'/RDJ's character's "anti-oppenheimer" perspective (that's what I've heard through the grapevine)? Also, does it paint the bomb as a 'neccessary evil' or does it leave the judgement of whether it was needed at all upto the viewer entirely?

1 minute ago, Bobzaruni said:

Hide contents

Is the last part of it 'courtroom drama'/RDJ's character's "anti-oppenheimer" perspective (that's what I've heard through the grapevine)? Also, does it paint the bomb as a 'neccessary evil' or does it leave the judgement of whether it was needed at all upto the viewer entirely?

Spoiler

We cut back and forth from the two perspectives but that's when it goes more into Oppenheimer's allegiance, basically what you said. The very end of the movie paints a very clear picture how Nolan feels about what they did, it's maybe the most pointed thing he's ever done.

19 minutes ago, Lucas said:
  Hide contents

We cut back and forth from the two perspectives but that's when it goes more into Oppenheimer's allegiance, basically what you said. The very end of the movie paints a very clear picture how Nolan feels about what they did, it's maybe the most pointed thing he's ever done.

Spoiler

Don't mean to pry too much but is the ending the 'I am become death' line and if its not too much to ask, what exactly does Nolan express about this at the end?

46 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Dunkirk, The Prestige, The Social Network...this is about to be KINO for me :ohmygod: