Eric Prime

73rd Primetime Emmy Awards Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

. @Plain Old Tele can rest easy about the state of the industry.

:lol: 
I’m quasi-bleak about the industry but atm it has more to do with studios/production entities fucking over the crew. Get ready for breaking news from Deadline in the next week or so that the 13 IATSE locals will authorize a strike. 

(Probably.)

😬

Kinda surprised Nicholson actually won. Don't think I've seen another show where an actor gives a good but not very memorable performance for most of the show but then does something extraordinary in the last episode. 

Also the only bit of the Emmys I saw was the directing bit and based on just the clip they showed in the showcase, how the fuck did The Handmaiden, directed by someone who can't even direct dialogue scenes get nominated? For some reason the characters are just placed to the corner of the screen while everything else is just negative space, which just feels like incompetent directing.

Edited by lorddemaxus

So, the voters watched five shows this past season? Cool cool cool... I mean, Iiked The Crown a lot, but disagree with three out of four of its winners (four out of five, if we include Claire Foy winning Guest Actress for two minutes of airtime).

I don't see what the fix is, so long as the present TV environment exists, with such a glut of programming. Voters will just focus on a few shows at the top and pick 99 percent of the winners from there.

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

The best comedy series category is kinda depressing to look at, there's nothing really that funny on TV and streaming anymore. I think Veep may be the last show that made me laugh. 

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Curb and Sunny are still pretty hilarious. But otherwise, yeah.

Allow me to recommend you folks Only Murders in the Building. It's both a compelling mystery and is consistently funny throughout. Martin Short kills me with every line and Selena Gomez' deadpan delivery is great. The guest stars are also phenomenal.

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Kinda surprised Nicholson actually won. Don't think I've seen another show where an actor gives a good but not very memorable performance for most of the show but then does something extraordinary in the last episode. 

The Emmys clearly went nuts for Mare (it easily would've won Series if not for The Queen's Gambit being too powerful/popular to overcome) and Nicholson is the kind of strong character actress who has been overdue for recognition for a while now. She had an amazing acting showcase in the final episode and deserved her win just because of it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Controversy on cue:

My wife actually noticed this yesterday. When the nominees were being announced, she went "that's a lot of diversity in the nominees" and by the end of the telecast she was like "did any of the people of color even win an award?"

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

My wife actually noticed this yesterday. When the nominees were being announced, she went "that's a lot of diversity in the nominees" and by the end of the telecast she was like "did any of the people of color even win an award?"

Reminds me of this SNL skit from when they tackled the #OscarsSoWhite controversy years ago:

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Controversy on cue:

The best nominees won.

Spoiler

Honestly I have no idea nor I care that much but this is just ridiculous at this point. We need to start splitting this. 2 white wins, 2 black wins, 1 latino, etc, for the media to be happy. The best persons should win, independent of race. Or just end these Award shows. Or kill everyone white working in the industry.

Edited by CJ Sarandos

21 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

19 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

So, the voters watched five shows this past season? Cool cool cool... I mean, Iiked The Crown a lot, but disagree with three out of four of its winners (four out of five, if we include Claire Foy winning Guest Actress for two minutes of airtime).

I don't see what the fix is, so long as the present TV environment exists, with such a glut of programming. Voters will just focus on a few shows at the top and pick 99 percent of the winners from there.

Only one episode needs to be submitted by actors, directors, writers etc. for the Emmy voters to watch. It perfectly explains why Nicholson won because she most likely submitted her last episode, whereas someone like Hahn didn't have a "breakout episode" as such but instead was more consistent throughout the show, so stood at a disadvantage, Also why Lena Headey was never nominated for GOT until the last season where they included the entire main cast (though I have no idea how she didn't get a nom for Season 2's Blackwater).

The Claire Foy win though is still wack.

18 hours ago, grim22 said:

Academy gonna play the Olivia Colman has Bihari heritage trump card 😶

Edited by Spidey Freak

3 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Only one episode needs to be submitted by actors, directors, writers etc. for the Emmy voters to watch. It perfectly explains why Nicholson won because she most likely submitted her last episode, whereas someone like Hahn didn't have a "breakout episode" as such but instead was more consistent throughout the show, so stood at a disadvantage, Also why Lena Headey was never nominated for GOT until the last season where they included the entire main cast (though I have no idea how she didn't get a nom for Season 2's Blackwater).

The Claire Foy win though is still wack.

lena headey was nominated for game of thrones like five times.

they changed the voting system from a juried one into a standard everybody votes like the oscars thing a couple years ago making the episode submissions essentially irrelevant. the wins used to be a lot more random when the submissions mattered but now you just get what's happened this year with one show dominating each genre award cuz they're just voting for their favourite shows.