Eric Duncan

IATSE Strike Discussion Thread | Deal ratified

Just now, Porthos said:

All I am saying is that this appears to be the industry side saying they are close to a deal.  I've seen too many labor fights in my day to count any chickens until they've actually hatched.

I'd feel a lot more comfortable if it even hinted at any sort of sourcing from IATSE that their issues are being addressed (I'm aware of other news stories commenting on IATSE being "encouraged" by the direction of talks).

To put it another way, remembering that Variety doesn't have to exactly be lying here to still be influenced by who they're talking to.

Or to put it in an Old School Way:  Trust... But Verify. 👍 

agreed

21 minutes ago, Porthos said:

All I am saying is that this appears to be the industry side saying they are close to a deal.  I've seen too many labor fights in my day to count any chickens until they've actually hatched.

I'd feel a lot more comfortable if it even hinted at any sort of sourcing from IATSE that their issues are being addressed (I'm aware of other news stories commenting on IATSE being "encouraged" by the direction of talks).

To put it another way, remembering that Variety doesn't have to exactly be lying here to still be influenced by who they're talking to isn't a bad stance to take.

Or to put it in an Old School Way:  Trust... But Verify. 👍 

Pretty much this

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

but but but what about that clown that said they had walked away from Negotiations LOL

This is why you always get (at least) a second source before reporting something. 👍

(Collider Frosty when pushed later on said he "talked to someone who was involved")

To rephrase what I said minutes ago, Steve Weintraub didn't have to be lying in that Twitter post, just get bad intel that was designed more to influence public opinion than inform.

Also could have been burned by a bad source, but then we get back to always always ALWAYS get multiple sources before running with something (especially something that major).

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Alright, so things are looking better, but we’re still not out of the woods? Got it. 

Ehh by the sounds of it it will be resolved before the strike. These things do not get resolved spontaneously and then a news announcement drops. It’s a slow grind with the details

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, john2000 said:

anyways we will know soon enough

though in this case i dont think that its in anyones interest to play this kind of games

07B89120-B48D-45FB-AF1D-49AF6CD16790.jpe

(any, anyway "close to a deal" does not equal "have a deal")

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Obligatory "first time" jokes aside, don't get me wrong, this is a very encouraging development, especially consider what could be happening today.

Just... I'll believe there's a deal when there is actually a deal and not a moment before.

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Obligatory "first time" jokes aside, don't get me wrong, this is a very encouraging development, especially consider what could be happening today.

Just... I'll believe there's a deal when there is actually a deal and not a moment before.

oh , of course me too

6 minutes ago, john2000 said:

? sorry ? i mean yeah of course

I was riffing on your comment that it isn't in anyone's interest to play PR games by posting the "first time" meme. 

To be more clear:

Is it likely that PR games are being played here?  Eh, probably not.  At least not at such a level as to blow up talks.

Is it possible that PR games are being played here? Oh, very much yes. Especially if there are remaining sticking points that the industry would rather not fold on.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1