WrathOfHan

Box Office Theory's Top 100 Horror Movies: Vol. 2 | #1 has been revealed!

90. Wes Craven’s New Nightmare (1994) (24 Points)

ESiM-odABqV8ZjVqsMw7I7lTKmmjtTY9WLNzu0kI

Previous Ranking: N/A (NEW)

Director and Screenwriter: Wes Craven

Starring: Robert Eungland, Heather Lagenkamp, Miko Hughes, John Saxon

Synopsis: A demonic force has chosen Freddy Krueger as its portal to the real world. Can Heather Langenkamp play the part of Nancy one last time and trap the evil trying to enter our world?

Box Office: 19.8M

Critical Reviews: 79% on RT

Submissions Received: 5

Average Position: 50th

Often regarded as the best Elm Street sequel, Wes Craven’s New Nightmare took the franchise in a bold direction. Freddy Krueger is portrayed much more seriously here, yet Craven’s commentary on Hollywood drastically departs from the rest of the series’ focus on slasher elements. Craven finds the right balance between these two and creates a refreshing take on the subgenre. New Nightmare began one of the last stages in Craven’s career as he transitioned over to Scream two years later and serves as a strong prelude to the latter franchise’s metaness. 

New Nightmare was a popular mid-tier choice on most of its submissions as evident by its average position of 50th.

16667.gif

• Like 10

89. Old (2021) (24 Points)

SK0DZtwJiTlapKCaUcbZewgjHUeofgG1MsJwRjxs

Director and Screenwriter: M. Night Shyamalan

Starring: Gael Garcia Bernal, Vicky Krieps, Rufus Sewell, Alex Wolff, Thomasin McKenzie, Abbey Lee, Nikki Amuka-Bird, Ken Leung, Eliza Scanlen, Aaron Pierre, Embeth Davidtz, Emun Elliott

Synopsis: A vacationing family discovers that the secluded beach where they're relaxing for a few hours is somehow causing them to age rapidly, reducing their entire lives into a single day.

Box Office: 90.1M

Critical Reviews: 50% on RT

Average Position: 27th

Top 5 Placements: 1

It’s about a beach that turns you old. What more is there to say? M. Night Shyamalan’s first appearance on this year’s countdown is for his most recent film, Old. One of 2021’s sleeper hits, Old is non-stop chaos. The film cycles between body horror, aging, and death in the majority of scenes until Shyamalan reveals his hand with a fun twist. Shyamalan continues to create interesting films on lower budgets, and by the time Vol. 3 of the countdown arrives, perhaps the forum will vote for his next film as well.

Old fans came out in full force with the highest average position yet. If the person who submitted it in their top 5 actually made a list with much more than 3 titles on it, it likely would’ve ended up in the Top 60. Without this submission, Old wouldn’t have made the list.

dc9d11a456cc45404c50b5840f5e965e9281fedf

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 5
  • ...wtf 3

88. Jennifer’s Body (2009) (24 Points)

rpTuQSmn05rdqh_nIBRDkhKdjxzbO02OFmxkIkgE

Director: Karyn Kusama

Screenwriter: Diablo Cody

Starring: Megan Fox, Amanda Seyfried, Johnny Simmons, J.K. Simmons, Amy Sedaris, Adam Brody

Synopsis: A newly possessed cheerleader turns into a killer who specializes in offing her male classmates.

Box Office: 31.6M

Critical Reviews: 45% on RT

Submissions Received: 6th

Average Position: 47th

Jennifer’s Body has gone from a critically mixed flop to an acclaimed horror film over the past decade. Diablo Cody’s follow-up to Juno features fun direction from Karyn Kusama and great chemistry between Megan Fox and Amanda Seyfried. The film tackles and critiques many elements of teen horror films while developing its own voice in a male-dominated genre.

Jennifer’s Body benefited from all its submissions ranging between 23-72.

fbd7029a274bb1b610e31ae7dd41e664.gif

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

91. What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962) (24 Points)

l08fghV1HiWETxBY72hd3rwUn7UWFQYOL8YRBs_F

Director: Robert Aldrich

Screenwriter: Lukas Heller

Starring: Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Victor Buono

Synopsis: A former child star torments her parapeligic sister in their decaying Hollywood mansion.

Box Office: 9.5M

Critical Reviews: 92% on RT

Won Best Costume Design and nominated for Best Actress (Bette Davis), Best Supporting Actor (Victor Buono), Best Cinematography, and Best Sound at the Academy Awards

Submissions Received: 3

Average Position: 54th

Top 10 Placements: 1

One of the most infamous productions in Hollywood’s history, two legends battle it out in Robert Aldrich’s classic What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? Simultaneously camp and a reflection on Davis and Crawford’s dwindling careers, audiences were captivated by the film’s audacity and brashness back in 1962. Nearly 60 years later, the film is regarded as an underrated gem in the final days of Old Hollywood while also influencing the Psycho-biddy subgenre. Am I forgetting something that happened with this film recently? Definitely not. Certainly not. 

:Gaga:  

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? had an even spread among its three submissions, including a top 10 vote.

ec6ae3f06e8abf891d1f21dbe33c62ee.gif

Glad my vote got this placed on this list. I saw this film a couple of days before the deadline and it ended up being my favourite amongst the all the horrors I watched preparing this list, even above the classics that will be very high on this list like Scream and the Evil Deads (good films that did well on my list).

• Like 5

8 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

89. Old (2021) (24 Points)

SK0DZtwJiTlapKCaUcbZewgjHUeofgG1MsJwRjxs

Director and Screenwriter: M. Night Shyamalan

Starring: Gael Garcia Bernal, Vicky Krieps, Rufus Sewell, Alex Wolff, Thomasin McKenzie, Abbey Lee, Nikki Amuka-Bird, Ken Leung, Eliza Scanlen, Aaron Pierre, Embeth Davidtz, Emun Elliott

Synopsis: A vacationing family discovers that the secluded beach where they're relaxing for a few hours is somehow causing them to age rapidly, reducing their entire lives into a single day.

Box Office: 90.1M

Critical Reviews: 50% on RT

Top 5 Placements: 1

It’s about a beach that turns you old. What more is there to say? M. Night Shyamalan’s first appearance on this year’s countdown is for his most recent film, Old. One of 2021’s sleeper hits, Old is non-stop chaos. The film cycles between body horror, aging, and death in the majority of scenes until Shyamalan reveals his hand with a fun twist. Shyamalan continues to create interesting films on lower budgets, and by the time Vol. 3 of the countdown arrives, perhaps the forum will vote for his next film as well.

Old fans came out in full force with the highest average position yet. If the person who submitted it in their top 5 actually made a list with much more than 3 titles on it, it likely would’ve ended up in the Top 60. Without this submission, Old wouldn’t have made the list.

dc9d11a456cc45404c50b5840f5e965e9281fedf

Of all the horror movies that could have made the list, out of the thousands of films that are out there, you have one of the most mediocre movies ever made. It's not overly horrible but it's far from great. The inclusion of this movie really disappoints me LOL

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

2 hours ago, Tower said:

Glad my vote got this placed on this list. I saw this film a couple of days before the deadline and it ended up being my favourite amongst the all the horrors I watched preparing this list, even above the classics that will be very high on this list like Scream and the Evil Deads (good films that did well on my list).

Great film.  If I'd thought of this as horror it would have been on my list.  Looking at some others on my list it should have been.  It's been on TV half a dozen times the last year and almost every time I caught it I watched it until the end.

• Like 3

Old and Crimson Peak being included is … surprising lol. In the case of Old I can only assume it’s benefitting from recency, which always happens with big lists. 

Yes to Jennifer’s Body and New Nightmare though, I think both are fantastic. I’m glad people seem to be finally catching on to how great Jennifer’s Body actually is. 

• Like 3

I made a whole ballyhoo about horror fandom having all sorts and being generous to movies to that aren't for me.

I really, really want to be generous to films that I don't inherently enjoy or find scary.

I want to embrace the breadth and scope of what horror is and can be, even when it doesn't intersect with my own tastes. I accept that people have different life experiences and different qualities they look for and times they are exposed to films.

But even with all that.

With the best will in all worlds.

Old being in the vicinity of this list is utterly, utterly insane.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, baumer said:

Of all the horror movies that could have made the list, out of the thousands of films that are out there, you have one of the most mediocre movies ever made. It's not overly horrible but it's far from great. The inclusion of this movie really disappoints me LOL

I have not seen Old, but come on man Scream 4 made the bottom of the list.

54 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I have not seen Old, but come on man Scream 4 made the bottom of the list.

But Old is just so.....mediocre.  This is my opinion, we all have different ones.  There's no point getting upset over the inclusion of it, I know the membership here feels very differently towards most horror films that I think should be on the list.

• Knock It Off 1

I should probably add my thanks to WrathOfHan for doing this. A big ol' undertaking and appreciated.

I didn't include Jennifer's Body, Eyes Without a Face, Dracula and Baby Jane but I think they're all great and worthy inclusions to the list. Must rewatch EWOAF since it's been a while, might have made my list if I'd seen it in the last decade.

Not seen many Crimson Peak defenders. I love Del Toro but this isn't for me and I found really disappointing. Would love to hear someone wax lyrical on it though just to hear what they get from it.

Scream 4 is a pretty good movie. I don't think it's Top 100 good myself, but I get it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

87. Repulsion (1965) (25 Points)

wjlSDkamyI49s3bbhjbG9q2C1jNoDZBjAp566fM4

Director: Roman Polanski

Screenwriters: Roman Polanski, Gerard Brach, David Stone

Starring: Catherine Deneuve

Synopsis: A sex-repulsed woman who disapproves of her sister's boyfriend sinks into depression and has horrific visions of rape and violence.

Box Office: 3.1M

Critical Reviews: 95% on RT

Submissions Received: 4

Roman Polanski’s first English language film is still regarded as one of his finest works. As Polanski transitioned over to British filmmaking, Repulsion launched his career to the mainstream with its controversial subject matter. Although the film’s themes have an added layer of discomfort due to Polanski’s shittiness, Repulsion remains an effective psychological horror with an innovative performance by Catherine Deneuve. The audience is with Deneuve for the entire film, and her vulnerability makes the experience all the more haunting. Repulsion has left a profound impact on psychological thrillers and the horror genre, which will be evident by several titles later on the countdown.

Repulsion only appeared on a few lists, but it ranked highly on all of them.

repulsion.gif

• Like 11

86. Annihilation (2018) (25 Points)

63Zc6YsOZ_e_zo0SYmhQajuQYlW8syQq9KnjXATR

Director and Screenwriter: Alex Garland

Starring: Natalie Portman, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Gina Rodriguez, Tessa Thompson, Tuva Novotny, Oscar Isaac

Synopsis: A biologist signs up for a dangerous, secret expedition into a mysterious zone where the laws of nature don't apply.

Box Office: 43.1M

Critical Reviews: 88% on RT

Average Position: 35th

Alex Garland’s Annihilation is an unconventional sci-fi horror. Based on Jeff VanderMeer’s novel of the same name, Garland takes the basic premise and turns it into something a bit different from the source material. With its drawn out cinematography and slow-burning tension, the film’s violence becomes more impactful as the expedition team is picked off one by one. In some ways, Natalie Portman’s Lena acts as a twist on the final girl trope. Annihilation also features excellent sound design that will rattle any audio system.

Annihilation had one top ten placement boosting its position. Two submissions were in the mid-tier while the last was in the upper third.

ANNIHILATION.GIF

• Like 10
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

85. Freaks (1932) (26 Points)

wP0h_9ghCGxnsOQHcm87zvoX7j1-Ybv1ots-WeGa

Director: Tod Browning

Screenwriter: Willis Goldbeck, Leon Gordon

Starring: Wallace Ford, Leila Hyams, Olga Baclanova, Roscoe Ates

Synopsis: A circus' beautiful trapeze artist agrees to marry the leader of side-show performers, but his deformed friends discover she is only marrying him for his inheritance.

Box Office: 341k

Critical Reviews: 95% on RT

Average Position: 32nd

Tod Browning makes his second appearance on the list with his follow-up to Dracula. Subject to numerous controversies upon release, Freaks failed to find an audience back in the early 30s. Nowadays, it is regarded as a horror film ahead of its time that trades caricatures for fleshed out characters with a commentary on class. Freaks has been analyzed by critics and scholars for decades as it effectively balances horror and compassion for its characters.

Freaks ranked high on most of its submissions with one top ten placement.

3PAPk0.gif

• Like 13

7 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Great film.  If I'd thought of this as horror it would have been on my list.  Looking at some others on my list it should have been. 

I had it at 11 cause any excuse to add Bette and Joan, I will take. 

7 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

It's been on TV half a dozen times the last year and almost every time I caught it I watched it until the end.

My mom calls them vacuum movies. Because you turn it for background noise and it sucks you in.

• Like 2