Eric Prime

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

35 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Pugh looks perfect as Irulan, the costuming on these movies is so good.

I said way before the first movie came out that she would be cast as Irulan cause no other actress could capture the character and people didn't believe me. :hahaha:

Edited by Valonqar

44 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

How are they going to handle Alia anyway? Is she going to be CGI like the baby from Twilight? 

NO! I think they'll age her up. I don't see any child actress in the cast on IMDB but they must have cast someone. Lynch and Sy Fy Dune cast 8 years old actresses.

Edited by Valonqar

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

NO! I think they'll age her up. I don't see any child actress in the cast on IMDB but they must have cast someone. Lynch and Sy Fy Dune cast 8 years old actresses.

I mean, isn’t being an uncanny valley nightmare kind of the point of Alia, at least in the original book? I feel like they could maybe get away with making her a creepy CGI creation. 

Edited by WittyUsername

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

I mean, isn’t being an uncanny valley nightmare kind of the point of Alia, at least in the original book? I feel like they could maybe get away with making her a creepy CGI creation. 

Yes but books get away with what movies cannot. I mena, maybe they'll do it if they are confident in their mo'cap/deepfake/other to look good. But other adaptations simply cast creepy kids who grow on trees in Hollywood

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Alia is creepy by her very nature, a toddler who speaks like an adult is  creepy on its own, there's no need to exaggerate her creepiness with shitty CGI.

17 minutes ago, ZackM said:

Is there any confirmation that Alia is even in the movie?  If they're not going to make Children of Dune, they can probably get away with omitting her.

Paul saw her in his visions in Part One, so she will most likely appear in this movie.

She is a two year old that speaks like an actual adult and that's what makes her so unsettling to others. They could cast an actual two year old girl, have her dubbed by another actress and use some VFX technique to make the mouth movement match, kinda like they did with the animals in Babe.

Or use CGI, motion capture face over the face of a two year old girl.

Regardless, I'm sure Villeneuve will make it look right. I have never seen a single bad VFX shot in any of his movies. What they did with Rachel in Blade Runner 2049 was pretty impressive. They might take a similar route here.

Just don't age Alia up and use an 8 year old. That would defeat the whole purpose and be far less unsettling and effective 

17 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I think dubbing over an actual toddler would be more silly than unsettling. 

I was just throwing guesses on how they might tackle it.

But Villeneuve will find a way to make it look right. He has a great instinct and criteria on when and how to use VFX shots

58 minutes ago, ZackM said:

Is there any confirmation that Alia is even in the movie?  If they're not going to make Children of Dune, they can probably get away with omitting her.

They can't because she's important in this story too.

she gets screwed over in order to soldify Jessica's place as the new Reverend Mother. Well, screwed over for the second time cause first screw-over was when Jessica gave birth to Paul. In Bene Gesserit interbreeding program, the mother and father of the Kwisatz Haderach were meant to be Leto and Jessica's daughter (Alia if there wa sno Paul) and a Harkonnen boy (presumably Feyd Rautha). So Jessica stole Alia's destiny.

And Denis said he wanted to make Dune Messiah and grown up Alia is a big player in it. I think he will. He wouldn't cast Pugh just for Dune Pt II. And 

Momoa in pt I

Edited by Valonqar

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

They can't because she's important in this story too.

Reveal hidden contents

And Denis said he wanted to make Dune Messiah and grown up Alia is a big player in it. I think he will. He wouldn't cast Pugh just for Dune Pt II. And 

Reveal hidden contents

I'm quite familiar with the story.

I realize she's important, but up until Children of Dune you can more-or-less hit all of the major story beats without her.

Spoiler

They already left out Jessica's Harkonnen lineage stuff from Part 1, which is pretty crucial to the story beats involving Alia.  Without it you can't fully realize Alia, so it's not a huge loss to exclude her at that point.

The books are too dense to have everything in the movie.  So we know certain aspects are going to be omitted.

Edited by ZackM

3 hours ago, ZackM said:

I'm quite familiar with the story.

I realize she's important, but up until Children of Dune you can more-or-less hit all of the major story beats without her.

Reveal hidden contents

The books are too dense to have everything in the movie.  So we know certain aspects are going to be omitted.

They omitted a lot in Pt 1 only to feature it in Pt 2 (Feyd, Irulan, Shadam IV. Margot Fenring). So I expect that 

Jessica's harkonne  heritage

will be addressed in Pt 2. The only omission from the book they could get away with is that Chani is a Kynes but that could also be addressed. 

8 hours ago, Valonqar said:

They omitted a lot in Pt 1 only to feature it in Pt 2 (Feyd, Irulan, Shadam IV. Margot Fenring). So I expect that 

Reveal hidden contents

will be addressed in Pt 2. The only omission from the book they could get away with is that Chani is a Kynes but that could also be addressed. 

We'll see.  Feyd and Irulan are barely in the first half of the book, so their absence from Part 1 isn't surprising at all.  There were other, far more important, things involving Jessica that were omitted that I doubt will show up in Part 2.  Again, a lot of stuff is going to get left out for the sake of keeping the movie manageable.

Edited by ZackM