Eric the IF

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

I'm so looking forward to this - both as a film and for the box office.

Clearly the first one had a somewhat deflated run - in the US based on the HBO max fiasco, and internationally suffering from a still slightly COVID depressed marketplace. The question is how much it will increase. Generally it seems like the film picked up a bigger audience through streaming, which should set the stage for a solid increase.

US - I'm hoping for a $60m OW / $165m total. 

Intl - hard to say... The first one did relatively well in Europe so I can't see it adding masses more. It should hopefully get to $25-35m apiece in UK, Germany and France. It struggled to find much of an audience elsewhere, but not sure if that's more down to the material itself then the release date. Australia at the very least should see a pretty big jump as the first one was impacted by Omicron. 

At the moment maybe $600m global... However this could change if we get an ace first teaser. The cast and scale for part two could be a big additional draw too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elessar said:

Dune seems to have done very well on home video / streaming. Hopefully that translates to a healthy boost for the sequel so that Villeneuve / studio might be persuaded to continue the franchise.

I think it will. Home video sales/streaming  is actually a pretty strong and useful indicator of a sequel's box office prospects. John Wick is the classic example.

I fully expect Dune II to explode.

it's funny October 20th was the original release date and they pushed it a month cuz they were worried that wouldn't be enough time to finish it. Then it got moved up two weeks i guess because of hunger games, and now we're saying it's getting moved up two weeks again, to it's original release date?

Dune has the power position on staying put - it already has its contracts and its audience isn't the Hunger Games or the Marvels.  I think Dune stays exactly where it is, and everything else reacts around it.  It won't move to Dec b/c Aquaman 2 is already there, and WB won't compete with its own tentpole...

I foresee more changes to the Nov schedule, but the changes won't involve Dune.

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

Dune has the power position on staying put - it already has its contracts and its audience isn't the Hunger Games or the Marvels.  I think Dune stays exactly where it is, and everything else reacts around it.  It won't move to Dec b/c Aquaman 2 is already there, and WB won't compete with its own tentpole...

I foresee more changes to the Nov schedule, but the changes won't involve Dune.

I think they will move it up at least one week to

Oct 27 so they can get IMAX for two weeks