Eric Onion

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

3 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

This would have made more sense Oscar wise. March is a dump date for it. If not December then push it past Cannes.

The studios are gonna kill the market again btw. Any hopes of theatrical coming back are dying on the vine once again.

EEAAO was released in March and swept the Oscars though. March isn't a dump month. IMO they should push it up to President's Day though.

Edited by Bob Train

1 hour ago, TheDude391 said:

Dropping my BO predictions a bit, much worse date. More crowded. What is WB thinking? They've already been marketing it and have 6+ weeks of EXCLUSIVE IMAX!!!

I think it does better. Sure, exclusive imax was a benefit but it still would’ve lost PLFs to Marvels and Songbirds (also Napoleon was listed for IMAX on their most recent earning postings so they may have shared), and with a stacked Christmas it would’ve been at best having just a screen. 

The mid-March spot gives it Spring Break and Easter as well as Snow White and Ghostbusters being far weaker competition. And judging from the most recent IMAX calendar, it’s likely going to still get 6 weeks as Beyond left and I think like Oppenheimer, Villenueve probably has enough pull to convince a larger window because Dune 2 was filmed in IMAX taking it from Ghostbusters if Sony even schedules it for IMAX.expected-imax-releases-in-2023-2024-as-s

Edited by YM!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric the Car said:

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/dune-2-release-date-change-2024-warner-bros-strike-1235676007/

2020: COVID killed theaters

2021: COVID killed theaters again

2022: Streaming killed theaters

2023: Studios killed theaters

In hindsight, the final option really does make the most sense. There's going to be nothing to show this Christmas at this rate.

Moving Aquaman would be so incredibly stupid. The only reason to do it is if they really think reshoots are absolutely necessary for it.

Bah, just give a fair deal to the writers and actors, it will barely touch the studios' profits to do it, fucking hell.

13 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Moving Aquaman would be so incredibly stupid. The only reason to do it is if they really think reshoots are absolutely necessary for it.

Bah, just give a fair deal to the writers and actors, it will barely touch the studios' profits to do it, fucking hell.

They’ve already done several rounds of reshoots for it, which has apparently taken a lot out of James Wan, so yeah, they need to leave it be at this point: 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, YM! said:

I think it does better. Sure, exclusive imax was a benefit but it still would’ve lost PLFs to Marvels and Songbirds (also Napoleon was listed for IMAX on their most recent earning postings so they may have shared), and with a stacked Christmas it would’ve been at best having just a screen. 

The mid-March spot gives it Spring Break and Easter as well as Snow White and Ghostbusters being far weaker competition. And judging from the most recent IMAX calendar, it’s likely going to still get 6 weeks as Beyond left and I think like Oppenheimer, Villenueve probably has enough pull to convince a larger window because Dune 2 was filmed in IMAX taking it from Ghostbusters if Sony even schedules it for IMAX.expected-imax-releases-in-2023-2024-as-s

I’m baffled how March is more crowded than November. Marvels, Hunger Games, and Napoleon are much more direct and stronger competition than Snow White (likely to be delayed anyway) and Ghostbusters. 

Edit to add: Both those movies are also far weaker competition internationally as well. 

Edited by Squire

36 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

EEAAO was released in March and swept the Oscars though. March isn't a dump month. IMO they should push it up to President's Day though.

That fact that people on here are are saying March is a dump month. Like really?  March has not been a dump month since like the early 2000's 

19 minutes ago, Squire said:

I’m baffled how March is more crowded than November. Marvels, Hunger Games, and Napoleon are much more direct and stronger competition than Snow White (likely to be delayed anyway) and Ghostbusters. 

Edit to add: Both those movies are also far weaker competition internationally as well. 

I agree that Snow White and ghostbusters aren’t heavy competition. In fact Snow White might be pushed anyways because there is no way is Deadpool making that May date. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TMP said:

idk between casting the two least charismatic actors in Hollywood as lovers and the fact that Gareth Edwards cannot do human drama at all (it almost feels like any form of humanity is a repellant for him when watching Godzilla lol), i don't have too much faith but given that it's about AI maybe that makes it perfect. idk. it looks very pretty!

Praying Napoleon is good but knowing Ridley there's only like a 30% window of success, and it seems to get smaller every year.

100% agreed on Edwards, Godzilla and Rogue One were some of the driest movies I've seen.  Huuuge wait and see with The Creator. 

Napoleon is going to be the first really large scale bloody historical epic on the level of Braveheart and Gladiator so at the very least it has that going for it.  Plus, Ridley Scott is still an insanely good production designer/cinematographer so there's that too.

38 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Hollywood is so dumb, they could just end the strikes easily and everything would be fine. Greed is one hell of a drug.

Or in cases such as these they could like...release the completed movies they have on schedule and stop pretending like they need actors for successful theatrical marketing campaigns in 2023.  Barbenheimer, anyone?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

100% agreed on Edwards, Godzilla and Rogue One were some of the driest movies I've seen.  Huuuge wait and see with The Creator. 

Napoleon is going to be the first really large scale bloody historical epic on the level of Braveheart and Gladiator so at the very least it has that going for it.  Plus, Ridley Scott is still an insanely good production designer/cinematographer so there's that too.

Or in cases such as these they could like...release the completed movies they have on schedule and stop pretending like they need actors for successful theatrical marketing campaigns in 2023.  Barbenheimer, anyone?

Barbie and Oppenheimer had all of their press tours basically done before being released. That’s not a good example. 

Edited by babz06
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Uh. Barbenheimer did have the actors able to promote. All their interviews had been done before the actors went out. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

considering they already put out 2 trailers and have a bunch of other marketing going off now I wonder if this doesn't just cost the film BO instead of saving a bunch frankly

Had the film held on to its date, it would have lost most of the premium screens to The Marvels and then The Hunger Games. Also, its current quorum awareness is less than 40; without the promotion of the cast, the film had no chance at the box office.