Eric is Quiet

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

6 minutes ago, Squire said:

Kind of surprised they’d start development on the next film without knowing how Part 2 is gonna perform. 

It’s even more surprising when you remember they literally did the same exact thing already with BVS and Justice League to disastrous results.

Guess they learned nothing.

Edited by Valencia

WB just sort of does this with their franchise movies. Black Adam and The Flash also had stories about sequel drafts already written when those movies were poised to come out. It probably speeds up the development process when something is a hit, but it's definitely wasted money on writer's fees when these things flop.

1 hour ago, Squire said:

Kind of surprised they’d start development on the next film without knowing how Part 2 is gonna perform. 

Happens all the time.  Though most of the developoment at this stage is limited to work on the script, which does not cost much money. Thye willl not spend the big bucks until they see how Dune 2 does.

I presume that Dune 3 will be based on "Dune Messiah" which was actually written by Herbert to be the final part of "Dune" but, for a variety of reasons, was cut from the novel.

58 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Denis has always been vocal about having a trilogy from the start, with Messiah being the crucial third act of the story. He views the first book alone as incomplete. 

So did Herbert. he wrote Dune Messiah as the last part of "Dune". but his publlishers decided to cut it. The grueseom details are pretty well known. Herbert was not happy, but at the time he was just  anohter aspriring but unknown  Sci FI Writer, and really did not have any choice; either agree with the publisher on the cut  or not have his book published. It was after Dune became a unexpected huge seller they agreed to Messiah being published.

One major reason is the publishers wanted a "Happy Ending" for "Dune" and 'Dune Messiah" does not have a happy ending.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Really hope this does well but the total feast or famine climate of the box office today wouldn't leave me surprised if it barely makes more than Part 1 even with theatrical exclusivity this time around. We'll see.

Yeah, I could see it being another Across the Spider Verse, but I could also see a disappointing decrease ala MI7. 

30 minutes ago, Squire said:

Yeah, I could see it being another Across the Spider Verse, but I could also see a disappointing decrease ala MI7. 

Well this wont be losing its PLF's in week two like MI 7 did and if it were to decrease at the same % that DR Part 1 did from Fallout it would be a outright bomb since it made a lot less.

6 hours ago, ZeroHour said:

WB just sort of does this with their franchise movies.

The way too long delays for Aquabro 2, The Batman 2 and Joker 2 say hi. They better not make mistake with Barbie 2.

3 hours ago, emoviefan said:

Well this wont be losing its PLF's in week two like MI 7 did and if it were to decrease at the same % that DR Part 1 did from Fallout it would be a outright bomb since it made a lot less.

I’m optimistic Dune Part 2 can surpass Part  1. Competition will be weak for its release date and Timothee could be a lot more popular with the GA if Wonka breaks out. Whole cast could help too.