Eric is Quiet

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

3 hours ago, Avatree said:

Trying to decide whether to go see the first one in imax this weekend. I did watch it when it came out and I thought it was super boring.

Has anyone rewatched it and found it improved on second viewing?

I’ve forgotten everything that happened in it, so dunno if I can be bothered with the second one. On the other hand, maybe a rewatch will change my mind.

I was pretty indifferent to Part One when it came out. Villeneuve's artistry is undeniable, but I found it to be a tad hollow and underwhelming. 

I've re-watched three times since, and it grows on me with every watch. One of those rare 'big' films that plays better at home and in a more intimate setting... For example, the initial Harkonnen attack/ambush on Arrakis sequence was monotonously loud and overpowering on the big screen. I found it easier to follow and engage with when watching at home.

That said, I still *hate* the singing/wailing score motif. Usually love Zimmer but that bit of the score is like nails on a blackboard for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merkel said:

Villeneuve has said that although it is as a direct sequel as one can be, the movie was still made as to be understandable and able to to follow by those who haven't seen Part One

This is the first time I call BS on Denis. I'll gladly take it back after seeing it. To me it's impossible. Only way that could work is if someone goes purely for the action and as impressive as that'll be it'd still be weird for Joe and Jane Average without the world building of Part 1

20 minutes ago, IchwanBigBrother said:

This is the first time I call BS on Denis. I'll gladly take it back after seeing it. To me it's impossible. Only way that could work is if someone goes purely for the action and as impressive as that'll be it'd still be weird for Joe and Jane Average without the world building of Part 1

Oh, I agree, I really don't see how something like that could be achieved

18 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Does anyone know how well Part I has been doing on Netflix? 

I saw it was the #2 searched sci fi film today (source is Google)...its being dropped at the end of the month. I guess Max wants more subscribers & they figure that's a way to do it. 

Edited by IchwanBigBrother
More specific information

1 hour ago, solaris said:

I was pretty indifferent to Part One when it came out. Villeneuve's artistry is undeniable, but I found it to be a tad hollow and underwhelming. 

I've re-watched three times since, and it grows on me with every watch. One of those rare 'big' films that plays better at home and in a more intimate setting... For example, the initial Harkonnen attack/ambush on Arrakis sequence was monotonously loud and overpowering on the big screen. I found it easier to follow and engage with when watching at home.

That said, I still *hate* the singing/wailing score motif. Usually love Zimmer but that bit of the score is like nails on a blackboard for me.

That motif has been so overused the past few years a lot of people..ncluding me,,,are sick of it.

48 minutes ago, Merkel said:

Oh, I agree, I really don't see how something like that could be achieved

I love Dennis but that "you don;t need to see part one" is pure marketing BS. It will be like seeing two towers before seeing FOTR (Providing you have not read the novel) you will not understand what the hell is going on.

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I love Dennis but that "you don;t need to see part one" is pure marketing BS. It will be like seeing two towers before seeing FOTR (Providing you have not read the novel) you will not understand what the hell is going on.

I once went into that exact situation. It was awful. Dude talked through 2/3 of the movie and was obnoxious about it too. 🤬 Thankfully it wasn't my first showing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IchwanBigBrother said:

The re-release is in a lot more theaters than expected. That's good

Will all of them have the Part 2 promo attached? 

It would make sense to include it front of every showing.  At the same time it's basically preaching to the choir. I don't think you have to worry about getting these people off the fence.

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

The movie is on Netflix so this is actually a good result, not an embarrassment like Soul and Turning Red. 

Desert IMAX power. That's the one trump card this reissue has over the Pixar ones. Combine that with its huge cinephile/film buff following who will gladly shell out every penny needed for a PLF ticket, and you have yourself a solid result. I'm genuinely pissed it didn't come to my area, as I would've loved to see it. I rewatched it at home at least, and it still holds up today.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Desert IMAX power. That's the one trump card this reissue has over the Pixar ones. Combine that with its huge cinephile/film buff following who will gladly shell out every penny needed for a PLF ticket, and you have yourself a solid result. I'm genuinely pissed it didn't come to my area, as I would've loved to see it. I rewatched it at home at least, and it still holds up today.

Indeed. Also, reissue less than a month before the release of the second part is a valid occasion. I've no clue what Disney was thinking with the reissue of those cartoons. 

Edited by Valonqar

As someone who hasn't read Dune but am familiar with what happens in Messiah, I would be very disappointed if Legendary or WB don't allow Villeneuve to actually follow through with the uncomfortable parts of it. There's a part of me that still feels like they'll sugar-coat it.

• Like 1