Eric is Quiet

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

13 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

To be fair most movies doesn’t get 90 on MC anymore now that they can get 75 reviews or so

Not even Oppenheimer or Poor Things get it. Even Zone of Interest just barely get it but with way less reviews.

The main problem for WB is that movies released this early rarely get to win awards, EEAAO doing it was very rare. And of course the academy usually hates genre movies. 

Even with likely rave reviews i doubt this have any strong chance in the main category 

Dune already got Picture nom so sequel getting better reviews should be no problem. And there was considerable backlash over Denis snub. Not to mention that Dune won 6 Oscars the most that year which puts it at #2 among Picture nominees. 

I'm bullish on acting this time around (I knew it wasn't going to happen for the first movie) cause I think that's possible at least for something showy like Butler in supporting and that would considerably help its chances. Actors are the biggest voting block and they usually don't vote for movies that are tech only. But if this managed Ensemble nom and/or indicidual nom(s) than we are talking.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Eric Web said:

Share with me all the tweets that praise Timothee, okay?

I've seen nothing that indicates he didn't bring his "A" game. I just think many people didn't understand what he and Villeneuve were doing with the character of Paul in Part One. Now some more look like they will. 

Just now, Maggie said:

what else then?

They have Furiosa a prequel to Oscar nominated Fury Road (which got Director nom too). And Joker Folie a Deux (sp?) a sequel to Oscar nominated Joker (also got Director nom). And there's also Beatlejuice 2 which isn't a sequel to a nominated movie but it's iconic. Lot to choose from though Dune 2 seems in the best position. These raves are hard to surpass.

7 minutes ago, Maggie said:

what else then?

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

They have Furiosa a prequel to Oscar nominated Fury Road (which got Director nom too). And Joker Folie a Deux (sp?) a sequel to Oscar nominated Joker (also got Director nom). And there's also Beatlejuice 2 which isn't a sequel to a nominated movie but it's iconic. Lot to choose from though Dune 2 seems in the best position. These raves are hard to surpass.

They have Mickey 17, it´s coming this year apparently in the second half according to reports this week, they delayed to put it at festivals circuit, likely Cannes 

If reviews are great this should be their biggest push, Bong Joon-Ho is very beloved by his peers. Furiosa seems to be heading to Cannes as well and Joker to Venice. So they have 4 awards caliber movies this year with those 3 + Dune

• Like 1

One thing to remember is that the very very initial reviews for Dune weren't as glowing as these reactions.  If memory serves there was even a minor freakout in the Dune thread over the initial RT score (before it settled in the low 80s).

This seems clearly a step (or maybe even two) above.  As long time BOT/RT watchers know, there is something of an art to reading social media embargo drops.  This probavly won't get 95+ over at RT as we've already seen a couple of tells from grumps harder to please critics plus various coded phrases in some of the positive reactions.

High 80s or low 90s on RT?  Yeah, the glows are strong enough for me to think that's very much in play.   

This isn't just post-premiere gushing, in other words.  IMO at least.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, ando said:

$1M+ in presales in South Korea so far.. Part 1 had some very impressive legs there, I think this will challenge for $25M+ in SK. 

I'm hearing about some pretty huge numbers in other Asian countries too. 

They are bellwhethers for performance so this thing could be headed for a very high WW total indeed, especially with low or weak competitors on the horizon for a while. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Furiosa is less likely given the prequel nature of it. Beetlejuice 2 may prove good but it's highly doubtful it ends up a major awards contender given Burton's track record at the Oscars and the comedic nature of it. Unless it's a Barbie-level triumph, just not happening