Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (12/3-5)

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

One movie can't save an entire marketplace.

I agree. But it shows there is potential if studios can build the hype. I think if Zilla vs Kong was purely theatrical, it would have built the hype for big OW. I am now sure next Jurassic movie will have huge OW as dinos sell easily(I personally have not liked any dino movie after 1993). Batman should have good OW(though not close to Nolan or BVS levels). MI7 should have big OW as well. 2022 we should see big OW beyond SH movies as we move away from hybrid model for big budget movies. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

Fascinating study just done - most worrisome for theaters - the percent of likely lost and hopefuls (most of these who apparently still wouldn't go back) and the impact it may have on future movie-making.  

https://thequorum.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/Exhibition-At-A-Crossroads-11.29.21.pdf

Now, the study may be BS, but it's interesting...and I like to post interesting, especially when it's about demos who are showing and those who aren't (TL/DR - it's a HEAVY skew to men of all ages for all movies with a heavy skew of young hispanic women showing up just for the biggies:)...

Good article. I wonder how it will be in another 6 months. 

• Like 1

Eternals crawling to $400m is just so.. boring. Legs both domestic and overseas have been mediocre. Every weekend it seems Eternals' final gross forecast has dropped bit by bit. Completely underwhelming. 

Dune (which was supposed to get flatlined by Eternals) will be about $10m off from Eternals when all is said and done. Don't think anyone can say they were expecting that. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, ando said:

Eternals crawling to $400m is just so.. boring. Legs both domestic and overseas have been mediocre. Every weekend it seems Eternals' final gross forecast has dropped bit by bit. Completely underwhelming. 

At least it surpassed Shang Chi's international box office while it was banned in more countries. The bad reviews killed Eternals at the domestic box office. 

Marvel was expecting way more from all 3 of their releases this year for sure...but there was no pandemic back then...or China banning MCU movies from Disney...or the countries that banned Eternals due to that gay kiss. 

Hopefully they don't cancel what's next for both Shang Chi and Eternals. 

Edited by TiagoRodrigues

3 hours ago, Elessar said:

That's even more depressing. They will lean even heavier on men in tights films if that is even possible.

200.gif

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

One movie can't save an entire marketplace.

But can one genre? 👀

• Knock It Off 1

3 hours ago, Product Driven Legion said:

They’re talking about the film you quoted in the post they quoted, Venom.

Which was sent to me in response to a post about Resident Evil lol.

Yeh Venom has done really well in America. To think a few weeks ago, some thought it would have to be fudged to pass $200m by Christmas. 

Enchanto unlikely to pass 100m total. As for GB:A, I start to think Ghostbuster 2016 will prevail in the end, but it is tricky to project their gross without knowing just how much they will lose their screen and attention over Christmas/NY holiday. 

• Like 1