Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

12 minutes ago, M37 said:

Per the data in the old tracking thread, Venom sold ~162K tickets from T-5 to end of Thursday night (45K --> 207K), including 100K on Thursday alone. JWD would need to be 60% over that pace (+255K) to get to 350K total for Alpha from where it sits now

But for the last 3 days (T-8 to T-5), JWD has been 70% better (17K vs 10K). That's a difficult pace to maintain given the number of tickets already sold (and TG2 in the market vs the void Venom faced) but also a much lower total growth rate (+270% vs +480% from T-5).  Seems plausible IMO

Venom T-5

Venom Final

Venom T-8

Yeah that T-10 to T-5 trend is intriguing. Venom 2's pace didn't seem to bump anywhere near as much as JWD. Not impossible for a stronger positive final-week trend to counteract the higher volume. 

Edited by Menor Reborn

46 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Will it need 350k? I think it can do it from 320k Alpha and overperformance in other chains, which is about where I have it. Sacramento is really strong and the comps there are probably gonna finish at like 23m. I wish we still had Cinemark data to check. 

I'm probably eyeballing something closer to 21m than 23m, but maybe.  Just have to see how much it really does accelerate the next few days.

45 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I’m confused now. Some are saying it’s showing a nice pickup in sales but others are saying it is doing badly 

14 minutes ago, Bigscrubnus said:

I’m confused too tbh

Well, like, it is only two cities here (haven't gotten weekend reports from inceptionzq or katniss).  Regional variance is a thing.  

More to the point, for whatever reason, just could be playing stronger in Sacramento than Philly, ala Top Gun Maverick.  Not sure why that would be the case as there doesn't seem to be as easy a reason to point to demographically speaking. 

Is seeing a pickup at MTC1, though, if I read ZackM's commentary right.  The main debate being, is it seeing enough of a pickup to boost it over 20m.

Or it could just be a one day blip and Weighted Random Distribution Still Gonna Be A Little Random.

• Like 1

Just now, Menor Reborn said:

Yeah that T-10 to T-5 trend is intriguing. Venom 2's pace didn't seem to bump anywhere near as much as JWD. Not impossible for a stronger positive final-week trend to counteract the higher volume. 

if I am not wrong Venom 2 sold 8K+ on sunday before release and then accelerated every day. 50% above will need JWD to sell 80% above yesterday. That would be a WOW. if it does that, I will start thinking about 200m OW for JWD. 

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

if I am not wrong Venom 2 sold 8K+ on sunday before release and then accelerated every day. 50% above will need JWD to sell 80% above yesterday. That would be a WOW. if it does that, I will start thinking about 200m OW for JWD. 

Venom 2 +7500 on Sunday night, considering Zack posts a bit earlier (less of the Sunday bump), I think 11k would be sufficient (67% increase).

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I'm probably eyeballing something closer to 21m than 23m, but maybe.  Just have to see how much it really does accelerate the next few days.

Mainly was thinking that the pace is already at DS2 level and that added another 7500 until final, JWD should have a stronger final week trend. Was thinking 13.6k final Sacramento, I think that will be 23m-ish when compared with DS2 and Top Gun. 

• Like 1

If there is a note of caution, I'd be a little concerned about the international rollout.  The stronger-than-some-were-thinking-at-the-time rollout of Fallen Kingdom internationally was a harbinger that it was gonna do better than then-thread-consensus. 

Now though the international rollout doesn't seem to be pointing to a breakout/big over-performance from FK.  Mind I only sampled a couple of posts in the WE thread so I might be missing some nuance or just plain misreading things.  But generally speaking international box office can be an early indicator.  So something else to keep in mind as we read the tea leaves in this thread.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Venom 2 +7500 on Sunday night, considering Zack posts a bit earlier (less of the Sunday bump), I think 11k would be sufficient (67% increase).

I would be impressed by 10K. That is a big increase when its already at a higher pace. 

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

If there is a note of caution, I'd be a little concerned about the international rollout.  The stronger-than-some-were-thinking-at-the-time rollout of Fallen Kingdom internationally was a harbinger that it was gonna do better than then-thread-consensus. 

Now though the international rollout doesn't seem to be pointing to a breakout/big over-performance from FK.  Mind I only sampled a couple of posts in the WE thread so I might be missing some nuance or just plain misreading things.  But generally speaking international box office can be an early indicator.  So something else to keep in mind as we read the tea leaves in this thread.

Id say the OS performance so far doesnt point to on over- or an underperformance. It overperformed in Mexico, but underperformed in Korea due to a local movie doing huge numbers there and the rest of the markets are pretty similar to both previous JW movies. Inflation and worse ER compared to 2015/2018 are factors as well.

In short, imo OS grosses dont say all that much about DOM performance so far.

Just now, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Id say the OS performance so far doesnt point to on over- or an underperformance. It overperformed in Mexico, but underperformed in Korea due to a local movie doing huge numbers there and the rest of the markets are pretty similar to both previous JW movies. Inflation and worse ER compared to 2015/2018 are factors as well.

In short, imo OS grosses dont say all that much about DOM performance so far.

He meant he expected way stronger than FK rollout that will portend potential domestic breakout. Its definitely not having stronger than FK rollout despite the universal marketing machine going on a overdrive with the reports. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Fallen Kingdom was released when International market was completely normal.

Dominion is releasing when International market is unstable, viewing patterns of audience changing, exchange rate ls worse, pandemic and what not.

It seems it'll have to be Domestic to do the heavy lifting this time. Especially when China is in doldrums ace that was a potential 250 million market. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

He meant he expected way stronger than FK rollout that will portend potential domestic breakout. Its definitely not having stronger than FK rollout despite the universal marketing machine going on a overdrive with the reports. 

Ah, got you.

One factor there in my opinion: Dominions marketing campaign heavily emphasized the return of the old trio, which could be a nostalgia factor that may apply to DOM, but not neccessarily to OS markets. So still id say that while the OS grosses so far dont really indicate a DOM breakout, i woudnt say that they are pointing to an underwhelming opening either.

• Like 1

JWD MTC2 Previews - 76336/464791 1065005.52 3073 shows

FYI Bats finished around 232194/706085 2968066.74 5297 shows(not sure I got absolute end of day data as its very slow). Pace around 5K pre day at this point. It should amp up. I dont think this data is as relevant as Alpha but overperformance at MTC2 does help with lower alpha ratio. 

I hope we get some data from Canada as well. Would love to see how its doing relative to other big movies. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Pretty much what I was saying, yes.  If JWD was blowing up everywhere, that'd be a great sign for its DOM haul.  As it is, @Brainbug the Dinosaur's points are very well taken, mind, and a reason why I crouched my language as much as I did.

FWIW, I'm not sure I "expected" a breakout in the markets released so far, as I don't pay enough attention to the international BO to have an informed opinion.  But I did note the back and forth in the WE thread and filed it away as a piece of info, if that makes sense.

2 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Fallen Kingdom was released when International market was completely normal.

Dominion is releasing when International market is unstable, viewing patterns of audience changing, exchange rate ls worse, pandemic and what not.

It seems it'll have to be Domestic to do the heavy lifting this time. Especially when China is in doldrums ace that was a potential 250 million market. 

Fair enough.  Mind I did say "note of caution" so it's not like I was saying it was destined to flop or underperform.  Just trying to give something of a nuanced picture compared, to say, my local numbers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Ah, got you.

One factor there in my opinion: Dominions marketing campaign heavily emphasized the return of the old trio, which could be a nostalgia factor that may apply to DOM, but not neccessarily to OS markets. So still id say that while the OS grosses so far dont really indicate a DOM breakout, i woudnt say that they are pointing to an underwhelming opening either.

Yeah, i think any nostalgia boost if happens is more likely to help in Domestic more.

Also in many cases Domestic decrease and overseas increase, but in this Case I'm thinking Domestic increase and Overseas decrease due to certain factors. Also because Fallen Kingdom overseas was very huge and Domestic was little less.

But no need to worry, Jurassic World 4 will get things back to normal.

Fallen Kingdom did 900 million in overseas, that's basically close to Avengers (pre infinity war)  level money which is huge, chances of Dominion matching that were low anyways, and ongoing issues have just made it even lower.

Domestic on the other hand was just 417 million, I'm saying just because it shouldn't have fell 250 million, it should've done 500+. So there are all the chances that Dominion can do better.

Edited by THUNDER BIRD

10 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Ah, got you.

Didn’t Fallen Kingdom gross more in comparable markets than Jurassic World for OW? Wouldn’t that suggest there was far less of a built in/nostalgia fan base to draw from? I may be misremembering, don’t really follow international numbers 

1 minute ago, M37 said:

Didn’t Fallen Kingdom gross more in comparable markets than Jurassic World for OW? Wouldn’t that suggest there was far less of a built in/nostalgia fan base to draw from? I may be misremembering, don’t really follow international numbers 

If im remembering it right, Fallen Kingdom grossed more/atleast similar on OW than JW in many Asian and Latin America countrys, while quite similar amounts or less in Europe. It ofc grossed way less in DOM, but it grossed more in China.

So yeah, it behaved like a new franchise in newer box office markets, while behaving like an older franchise in the more mature markets.

• Like 1

And I think what further complicate the overseas-domestic correlation is that the markets that have JWD released so far are where TGM didn't massively blow up. It is hard to judge how impactful TGM is to JWD in term of buzz/hype.