Eric Prime

Horizon Part 1 | Kevin Costner-directed Western | June 28, 2024

7 hours ago, AniNate said:

I think if you're a major studio you probably should do like a test screening for critics before submitting your high profile movie to a film festival.

Cannes is probably the one film festival where they aren't shy about making their contempt for a movie known given the high number of titles that were the subject of boos and walkouts over the decades, even if it seems like they've become less mean than they were in the past recently (sign of the changing times in the world, perhaps), so you're rolling the dice taking your movie there regardless.

19 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Cannes is probably the one film festival where they aren't shy about making their contempt for a movie known given the high number of titles that were the subject of boos and walkouts over the decades, even if it seems like they've become less mean than they were in the past recently (sign of the changing times in the world, perhaps), so you're rolling the dice taking your movie there regardless.

Boos are a lot easier to brush off than that green splat eternally present on the internet whenever anyone looks the movie up for the month leading up to the general release

I guess the biggest drawback for this is that the reviews aren't likely to persuade those who weren't very interested in this to begin with (which I'm guessing are a lot, for me this always looked like a miniseries that was turned into a movie) and if this flops that automatically dooms Chapter 2. But the studio probably prepared for that scenario given their marketing/rollout plan.

Posted (edited)

the best received 14% on RT I've ever heard of

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

1 hour ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

the best received 14% on RT I've ever heard of

Ultimately the failing of RT as a website, it is in no way a good indicator of quality on the surface. Metacritic is significantly better (and doesnt have youtubers or funko critics in their system).

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

Ultimately the failing of RT as a website, it is in no way a good indicator of quality on the surface. Metacritic is significantly better (and doesnt have youtubers or funko critics in their system).

MC is 49, that's worse than RT's average rating right now

Not sure all the complaints about it serving as a setup are fair when the second part releases only 8 weeks after the first part. Maybe they should have screened both parts together at Cannes?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, AniNate said:

MC is 49, that's worse than RT's average rating right now

I'm aware but 49 vs 14% gives off a vastly different view of the film. Most people who use the site just see the score and not click to see the actual average.

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

Not sure all the complaints about it serving as a setup are fair when the second part releases only 8 weeks after the first part. Maybe they should have screened both parts together at Cannes?

Bilge Ebiri's review is the only one I've seen acknowledge this, it's very weird. "At the same time, it would be silly to pretend like the rest of the film doesn’t exist; it clearly does, we just haven’t seen it yet. Horizon: An American Saga is Dune: Part One for dads (and, hi, I’m dads), and that film also seemed to stop just as it got going".

I agree they should've screened both parts, it would've been much easier for critics to assess it. Even in the positive reviews, they all acknowledge it's impossible to properly guage it without the rest since it's literally just an act 1 of a larger story.

Edited by TheDude391

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TheDude391 said:

Ehhhhhhh... Carpenter's The Thing is 57 on Metacritic and McTiernan's Predator is 47. Metacritic is the same bullshit as RT, neither of them are indicators of quality.

Edited by TomThomas

Posted (edited)

Another false masterpiece willfully and intentionally advertised as "apparently so amazing" by the typical "theaters are doing great!" gang of leakers.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Ehhhhhhh... Carpenter's The Thing is 57 on Metacritic and McTiernan's Predator is 47. Metacritic is the same bullshit as RT, neither of them are indicators of quality.

They are both a collection of critics who review movies. Nothing more, nothing less. I hate that I'm repeating this trite rhetoric but the only actual indicator of quality is yourself. If you expect a broader collective of reviewers to agree with your tastes 100% you are never going to be satisfied.

That said, we go through this whenever any high-profile movie gets trashed by critics, and it's often copium. I'm pretty sure Warner was expecting a much better reception than this here and it's inevitably gonna dull enthusiasm from the general audience for it. Maybe it gets reappraised later on, but right now things don't look great for its box office prospects.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AniNate said:

the only actual indicator of quality is yourself. If you expect a broader collective of reviewers to agree with your tastes 100% you are never going to be satisfied.

True, but my point is neither RT or Metacritic are good indicators of anything and people shouldn't blindly follow those scores since there are plenty of stone cold classics and highly influential movies with pretty bad critics reviews. If people are interested in some movie, they should just watch it and form their own opinion.

Edited by TomThomas

11 hours ago, Avatree said:

Why would/should someone see the second movie if they don't like the first set-up film?

Posted (edited)

Daily Beast:

"One of the most mortifying scenes involves Abbey Lee’s character mounting Costner’s saying she's going to help him go to sleep by having sex with him."

))

Oh, The Horror !

Edited by cinema pal

Honestly feel like this and Part 2 could make less than $35M combined (overseas will likely be nonexistent as well). Weak reviews + long runtime could be highly deadly for a project that was never on many radars to begin with.

Posted (edited)

What's the point in making a 3 hour setup? I think Kevin might forgot he was supposed to do 4 movies, not 1 overlong 12 hour movie or limited series. Movies have to be standalone.

Edited by Firepower

Don't underestimate the number of the Yellowstone fans that will watch this epic in the cinemas for sure.

This will bring many people to buy a ticket that otherwise don't go to the movies much / anymore.

A dad movie with huge potential.