Eric the IF

Horizon Part 1 | Kevin Costner-directed Western | June 28, 2024

Posted (edited)

Well, hopefully EmpireCity is right that it's fantastic.

This movie (the movies) could become a bigger hit than many people initially thought.

Especially Chapter 2 will be funny to track. I'm looking forward to that. 

I (also) think EmpireCity is wrong when it comes to a later release date of Chapter 2. The winter has other anticipated films. The distance of time of two months could be a clever strategy: once every halfway interested person has seen the first movie and the buzz would become/becomes smaller the second part is already in the wings. Like that the buzz never vanishes (especially if it's really a very good epos). If people like Chapter 1 (which is likely) they will talk about it everywhere (on social media) and then start to attend to Chapter 2 which will help building the buzz around that movie. 

Edited by el sid

Posted (edited)

probably going to cannes in search of international distributors 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Is the 3 hour runtime for the whole thing or just Part 1?

coster said the whole saga is 11 hours long, so just part 1

weird release dates are cool and all, but I can see part 2's growth being severely limited by the lack of a streaming/digital release for part 1 before it releases

dont think you can really do much in terms of double features for 3 hour long movies 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

coster said the whole saga is 11 hours long, so just part 1

weird release dates are cool and all, but I can see part 2's growth being severely limited by the lack of a streaming/digital release for part 1 before it releases

dont think you can really do much in terms of double features for 3 hour long movies 

Given that this already isn't a sure thing to do well financially it makes sense that the marketing for this has been really leaning in on this being a two-parter set to open weeks apart and hope that those who see the first will see the second. Easier to save money that way so if Part 1 underwhelms they can just release Part 2 a couple of weeks later without having to put in the resources for a whole new marketing campaign.

The new Strangers movie which is the first of a trilogy shot at once is also looking to do the same thing though will be more spaced out and likely nowhere nearly as risky since the combined budgets for those are almost certainly much lower than it is for this.

Posted (edited)

Meh, mostly I just want it out as soon as possible unless there's a really compelling new development that would be cause for delay. I presume Warner considered every intangible deciding its release dates, they probably didn't necessarily think box office was top priority. The other side of it is both movies would be available on streaming by the time the Oscar voters pick, and then they can rerelease them again in the winter and make a little more bank.

Edited by AniNate

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Maggie said:

Three hours? Goodbye breakout

Breakout won't depend on runtime here. In fact, movies that had the type of breakout this movie needs to succeed are all around 3 hours and more. Dances With Wolves, Titanic, Gone with the Wind etc.

The movie needs to catch zeitgeist the same way Dances With Wolves and Titanic did. It needs to be not only a great movie, but also so appealing to general audience they would watch it 10 times in a theater. I'm not sure this kind of multi and staying power are possible today, those movies are long gone if we don't count smaller hits with huge multi like Anyone But You. Sound of Freedom type of run with Fox News audience flooding theaters is probably the only way it can succeed financially and this kind of miracle is very unlikely to happen.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

When was the last great Western film? Unforgiven and Back to the Future 3?

Uh,  Tombstone, Open Range, The True Grit and 3:10 to Yuma Remakes. And they are all better than Back To the Future 3 and I am a massive fan of that franchise.

• Like 1

had a dream that I woke up to this having a 31 on metacritic

making a more serious prediction; unless this is very good (which might very well be the case), it feels like an automatic shoo-in for a 71 on mc