filmlover

94th Academy Awards Discussion Thread | WHAT JUST HAPPENED

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

lol so much for the GMA exclusive.

Amy Schumer, Regina Hall, Wanda Sykes Eyed to Host Oscars (EXCLUSIVE)

Oscars: Regina Hall, Wanda Sykes and Amy Schumer to Host - Variety

So it doesn't get lost on the previous page.

Great choices IMO. Schumer no doubt landed the gig because her new show is about to premiere on Hulu and was able to use those connections with Disney/ABC so expect plenty of promo for that throughout the telecast (or at least during her hour of hosting).

All the bros mad about the No Way Home Best Picture snub will definitely tune in for Amy Schumer... /s

I mean, I guess the hosts will be fine?

The Twitter award (why not TikTok?) seems stupid but probably not any more distracting than Ellen passing out pizzas or that time they invaded a screening of A Wrinkle in Time. It'll be hilarious if the winner isn't even under the Disney umbrella and the idea gets quietly dumped the next year.

1 hour ago, Eric Poirot said:

Again, this is why it's necessary for us that we all support Clifford the Big Red Dog here as the #OscarsFanFavorite. Get your tweets out ladies and gentlemen!

giphy.gif?cid=790b76113f2b1dae9959066b7e

As someone who has watched this movie 15 times in the past few weeks (my daughter cannot get enough of the movie, she pretty much knows it by-heart now), I will fight you if you dare try this.

10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

As someone who has watched this movie 15 times in the past few weeks (my daughter cannot get enough of the movie, she pretty much knows it by-heart now), I will fight you if you dare try this.

Look it's either this movie wins or the Snyder Cut. The former will spread the word of a wholesome family classic, the other will cause the universe to explode. It's your choice.

11 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Snyder cut not eligible.

Look it's either this movie wins or No Way Home the Snyder Cut. The former will spread the word of a wholesome family classic, the other will cause the universe to explode. It's your choice.

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I mean the Emmy Awards did bounce back from the 2020 ceremony. The bigger issue here is more that the nominees, and specifically the winners like Queen's Gambit and The Crown, were some of the most popular and discussed shows ever for that year. Like not even on Twitter, but in general out in the wild. And for the Oscars for this year, that's not really the case at all.

That's why I've been saying that the Academy will probably just give up and give all the Best Picture nominees next year to Avatar 2 and Lightyear and Doctor Strange 2, etc. just to save the ratings, even if it kills their credibility

9 minutes ago, Eric Poirot said:

That's why I've been saying that the Academy will probably just give up and give all the Best Picture nominees next year to Avatar 2 and Lightyear and Doctor Strange 2, etc. just to save the ratings, even if it kills their credibility

There's basically no way to do this without completely overhauling the voting membership at this point which they won't do. the people voting aren't sweating the ratings at all they don't care. i think this weird "twitter vote for your favorite movie" is their attempt at trying to recognise blockbusters. like a halfway version of bringing the popular film oscar back.

4 hours ago, Eric Poirot said:

Why do you keep saying this? It's literally impossible

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Why do you keep saying this? It's literally impossible

Because I don't think it's impossible. I don't think a shift in voting, a strongarm towards populist films, or other such scenarios isn't out of the question. Unlikely scenario? Sure, but I personally, subjectively don't think it's impossible. Sorry!

6 hours ago, Eric Poirot said:

They can try to force voters, but why voters would ? (who do not get money from those TV deals, they pay to be voters).

Thats a group of voters that went and nominated 0 actors of colour the year of #OscarSoWhite, it grew fast since, but many they added are all over the world with little not that strong link with Hollywood and even less I would imagine "controllable"

Edited by Barnack

1 hour ago, Eric Poirot said:

Because I don't think it's impossible. I don't think a shift in voting, a strongarm towards populist films, or other such scenarios isn't out of the question. Unlikely scenario? Sure, but I personally, subjectively don't think it's impossible. Sorry!

the only way it can possibly happen is for a rigged system which ABC literally inserts popular movies onto the list. So essentially they have to lie. not even a voting system!

22 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

the only way it can possibly happen is for a rigged system which ABC literally inserts popular movies onto the list. So essentially they have to lie. not even a voting system!

honestly i could actually see them doing it that way. like the way the grammys used to have a committee decide some of the top nominations so certain acts can get in. like 7 best picture nominees are voted in by the membership and then there's a committee that picks three big movies to include. i could totally see them resorting to something like that.

7 hours ago, Eric Poirot said:

Look it's either this movie wins or No Way Home the Snyder Cut. The former will spread the word of a wholesome family classic, the other will cause the universe to explode. It's your choice.

I mean the Emmy Awards did bounce back from the 2020 ceremony. The bigger issue here is more that the nominees, and specifically the winners like Queen's Gambit and The Crown, were some of the most popular and discussed shows ever for that year. Like not even on Twitter, but in general out in the wild. And for the Oscars for this year, that's not really the case at all.

If no way home making 1.8bn during pandemic won’t change their mind, nothing will. The way they nominate drive my car as best picture means they care their selection of best picture nominees. Academy is a group made up of near 10k voter where they don’t really have a direct or contracted interest with Oscar rating. They won’t make extra bucks because of surge in Oscar rating. Therefore there is no incentive for them to pick a populist movie fanboy bait movie.

if avatar 2 ever got nominated, it is likely due to its environmentalist message like the first. You can’t expect a straight pop corn fan fare in the best picture line up. They want message and social relevancy. This has been demonstrated year after year and no sign they are giving up on the “criteria requirements”