filmlover

94th Academy Awards Discussion Thread | WHAT JUST HAPPENED

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

King Richard's overperformance leads me to believe that Smith has Actor all locked up. They like to spread the wealth these days and Power of the Dog already seems to have one acting win in the bag via Kodi in Supporting, while Supporting Actress will be the top prize that West Side Story takes home.

Will Smith winning would also be a big headline moment for the Oscars as well. Would require a British voter consensus for Cumberbatch for an upset I think.

28 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i can't believe i watched house of gucci yesterday because everyone was saying it was gonna get noms lol. it was awful. 

Horrid. It took 2 days for me to finish.

I must say - I enjoyed Jared Leto as Wario

775887-wario.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joel M said:

Gaga and Denis snubs are the ones that bum me out the most, but they were some nice surprises too.

-Happy that Worst Person in the World got a screenplay nom especially with another Foreign film in the race blowing up in such a big way. Would have loved for it to also get an actress or sup. actor nom but that wouldn't happen even without Drive My Car in the race.

- Haven't seen Nightmare Alley yet, it's coming to my theatre next week, but I'm happy it made it in after everyone proclaimed it DOA in December.

- Kinda hate all three acting noms of Ricardos, but Bardem is a little hilarious. 2 decades after Before Night Falls and gallons of media ink spilled on diversity/whitewashing, he still gets in playing a Cuban in dark make up with minimal backlash because I guess many people still think anyone who speaks spanish is a minority.

-King Richard really overperformed and put to rest any notion that Will hasn't this award on lockdown for months. Screenplay AND supporting AND editing? did not expect that.

As far as predictions atm it feels like Campion's to lose. West Side Story I think is officially dead as a BP contender despite Spielberg not being the big name that gets snubbed (Denis😭) and I would say the same about Licorice Pizza with only 3 noms. I guess PTA's best shot is just screenplay and the Academy crossing him of the list without having to give him the big ones ala Spike Lee. The only thing that still has a shot imo is Belfast despite missing editing. Still made it in everywhere else and has largely avoided all season being labeled "the enemy" because discourse police has been busy with Don't Look Up and Licorice Pizza.

still unseen from the BP line up: Belfast, Drive My Car, Licorice Pizza, Nightmare Alley.

Why do you say WSS is dead at Best Picture?

Despite really disliking the movie, a part of me does want to see Don't Look Up win just for the "some men just want to watch the world burn" of it all. Gonna be even funnier when the majority of its star-studded ensemble (one of the main reasons it made it so far) doesn't even bother to attend the ceremony due to commitments from projects they're making now.

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

I'd say I'm surprised that Cooper missed given how strong his movies were and his performances were unlikely to cancel each other out since they were in different categories but he might have been 6th in Supporting behind Simmons (a recent winner who was due another nomination) and gotten in with more screen time (instead of a glorified cameo). Also the universe seems to have conspired against his chances of ever winning an Oscar lol oh well.

He did get nominated today (as a producer on Nightmare Alley), but it won't win, so he'll be 0-for-9, and you'll have some people saying he was unfairly snubbed for his acting this year. It adds to his overall overdue narrative with Maestro in a couple of years, though nothing's ever guaranteed, and watch it be the same year of the Michael Jackson biopic.

Going to be interesting to read the "Why They Were Snubbed" articles. A couple of years ago,  they got cranky old AMPAS members who unloaded about why they found JLo and Eddie Murphy unworthy, so the Gaga commentary is sure to be something else...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

LOL @ GAGA.  Honestly, nothing about HOUSE OF GUCCI was particularly good...and LETO was terrible, I'm a bit surprised Ridley Scott let him do that.  Its a flat and sometimes confused movie.  I'm a Ridley Scott fan but I really don't think the material was suited for him and it should've went to Martin Scorsese.  Or maybe Ridley Scott was just asleep at the wheel because if you told me back in 2015 that he was about to make the best light-hearted ensemble piece of the decade I would've been skeptical to say the least.  House of Gucci is Scott's first big misfire since Exodus imo.  Despite all the bad press about its BO, its still surprising just how overlooked THE LAST DUEL has been this entire season, its top shelf Ridley Scott and the film seems to have been a social media darling since VOD/streaming.  Its a great ensemble piece with gorgeous production values and timely relevant themes not told in a stupid cheesy way.

While HOUSE OF GUCCI was mediocre, I found DON'T LOOK UP to be thoroughly tedious and all its nominations further show much internal politics and industry clout has to do with the nominating process.  I love the whole idea about it, we need movies satirizing and making fun of the media, celebrity worship culture, climate change/science denialism, etc... but Adam McKay forgot that you still need to make it funny and entertaining.

Potential trigger warning here, but Denis Villeneuve not being nominated for DUNE is something I'm totally fine with because DUNE could've been better.  The biggest problems are the characters, none of them are particularly memorable except for Skarsgard's BARON and the movie has no real ending.  Denis Villeneuve is a great filmmaker and easily one of the best new talents working today, but I find a lot of his online fandom to irritating...it reminds me of Christopher Nolan's internet fandom from 2008-2014.  Like that guy in the video a page or two back literally holding back tears because he wasn't nominated? Get real bro.

Don’t understand the hate for DLU, it may not be a great film but certainly a worthy film to pay attention, especially for its message. Glad that academy managed to ignore critics group voice and go ahead with their thought. Academy voters is a group of industry professional, they are not critics group puppets. Sometime industry and critics agree, sometime they do not, as simple as that. they should have ability to recognise whatever they think should make it in at the consensus level. Happy to see DLU getting nomination despite attack from critics group, like joker and BR. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

This is the same voting body which chose Green Book for Best Picture back in 2019. It wouldn't be a shock to see Don't Look Up win.

But I thought they are also the same group that choose Parasite and everyone was happy? 

BTW here's the breakdown of movies with by who scored the most nominations:

12: The Power of the Dog

10: Dune

7: Belfast, West Side Story

6: King Richard

4: Don't Look Up, Drive My Car, Nightmare Alley

3: Being the Ricardos, CODA, Encanto, Flee, Licorice Pizza, The Lost Daughter, No Time to Die, The Tragedy of Macbeth

2: Cruella, The Eyes of Tammy Faye, Parallel Mothers, tick, tick...BOOM!, The Worst Person in the World

24 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Don’t understand the hate for DLU, it may not be a great film but certainly a worthy film to pay attention, especially for its message. Glad that academy managed to ignore critics group voice and go ahead with their thought. Academy voters is a group of industry professional, they are not critics group puppets. Sometime industry and critics agree, sometime they do not, as simple as that. they should have ability to recognise whatever they think should make it in at the consensus level. Happy to see DLU getting nomination despite attack from critics group, like joker and BR. 

Space Jam 2 also got attacks from these "critic puppets". Where's your support for that film?

Edited by lorddemaxus

Just now, efialtes76 said:

A Netflix movie winning BP?

Belfast (or WSS)will  be the winner.

Last year the winner was a glorified streaming release. I think the barriers as to whether a Netflix movie can win Best Picture have been officially broken now that the stigma of being a streaming release (albeit due to a global pandemic altering the way the entire world works) is in the past.