filmlover

94th Academy Awards Discussion Thread | WHAT JUST HAPPENED

12 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That probably a different word that your corrected change for, Alopecia maybe ?

True enough. Maybe I used it wrong but Ableism is word for prejudice against someone's 'non-ability' to have it. 

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I wonder what conversations will be happening at Netflix tomorrow in terms of how they can win Best Picture. They campaigned their asses off once again and...well...I hope they're happy going home with just Jane Campion's win.

Netflix needs to not only rely on complex, critically acclaimed films from acclaimed directors to aim for that Best Picture Oscar, because so often it's the competently made, "feel-good" film that wins. I'd say most of Netflix's original major contenders (Roma, Mank, The Irishman, Marriage Story, Power of the Dog) have been the kinds of movies that the Academy will not always award as the best film of the year if they have a suitable "feel-good" alternative. Not always, but Netflix needs to consider that moving forward, if they so badly want that Oscar.

Peace,

Mike

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I wonder what conversations will be happening at Netflix tomorrow in terms of how they can win Best Picture. They campaigned their asses off once again and...well...I hope they're happy going home with just Jane Campion's win.

Netflix needs to back some crowdpleasers instead of Very Directed Cinematic Masterpieces. Roma, The Irishman, Mank, Power of the Dog: chilly/reserved stuff like that can't survive being frontrunners all season, they get overtaken by movies the voters just like better.

7 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Can someone answer what the big incident last year was?

Also, people are saying this is a "make up Oscar" for Chastain. For what film ?

A "make up Oscar" in that the makeup/prosthetics did the acting? Unless people think she should have won for Zero Dark Thirty-maybe so, but I think she was maybe third by Oscar night that year.

Just now, MikeQ said:

Netflix needs to not only rely on complex, critically acclaimed films from acclaimed directors to aim for that Best Picture Oscar, because so often it's the competently made, "feel-good" film that wins. I'd say most of Netflix's original major contenders (Roma, Mank, The Irishman, Marriage Story, Power of the Dog) have been the kinds of movies that the Academy will not always award as the best film of the year if they have a suitable "feel-good" alternative. Not always, but Netflix needs to consider that moving forward, if they so badly want that Oscar.

Peace,

Mike

All this said, from what I understand, Netflix is still way in the lead when it comes to Oscars recognition/nominations from any of the steamers, particularly when you look across the breadth of categories. So, if their end goal is to have their movies legitimized via Oscar recognition, they're doing quite well, they just haven't managed to take home the statuette in that top category.

Peace,

Mike

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Now that we have discussed Will Smith a lot... WTF was with the people dancing during the very upbeat In Memoriam????

I noticed that too! If not for the fact it came moments after The Slap people would be talking about it more. It was even weirder than that super quick montage set to Stevie Wonder's "As" last year.

• Like 1

Re CODA: Oscars have always had a weakness for films and performances about people with physical disablities.

One of Nerflix's big prestige projects in producition is "The Light We Cannot See" based on the Pulitzer Prize winning (and best selling) novel about a blind girl growing up in Nazi Occupied France during World War 2. Boy, will they market and promote the hell out of that one.