Eric S'ennui

THE BATMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 134M OW DOM, 258.2M WW | Biggest WB opening since BvS. First non Disney-affiliated 100M OW since 2018

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

What are you talking about? What does this have to do with Legion's bias? Under 130 would be underwhelming, no? That isn't even downplaying. How does this equivocate? 

Because you're implying him downplaying the numbers for weeks was due to an "MCU bias" but if the actuals come in closer to what he's been saying then what a large amount of people have been saying, how can you call him bias? If he's right (or closer), then he's just right. Just because he didn't get caught up in the hyperbole and hype of others doesn't mean his prognostication is biased. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Whats damaging to DC is those 3 flops they've put out there in a row not Batman opening below 130m

Well, Batman is their biggest character, one of the most valuable Hollywood IPs. If a Batman movie with good reviews did like Thor Ragnarok numbers, I don't see how that could be anything less than disappointing. Would probably imply the Snyderverse/BVS stigma is too hard to shake off for the character. Wonder Woman succeeded because she was the only breakout from BVS and had the novelty of finally getting her own film. Aquaman was a fun Dec release. But I would think the DC brand is diluted otherwise 

1 minute ago, PenguinXXR said:

Because you're implying him downplaying the numbers for weeks was due to an "MCU bias" but if the actuals come in closer to what he's been saying then what a large amount of people have been saying, how can you call him bias? If he's right (or closer), then he's just right. Just because he didn't get caught up in the hyperbole and hype of others doesn't mean his prognostication is biased. 

You can be biased and still right about something lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

You can be biased and still right about something lol. 

True, but calling someone biased when they're going to be right about something just sits weird with me. Feels critically lazy. 

32 minutes ago, PenguinXXR said:

True, but calling someone biased when they're going to be right about something just sits weird with me. Feels critically lazy. 

Yeah one thing is calling them biased but saying they are downplaying number for being biased WHEN they are getting it right, it's just trying to throw their personal bias to them.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Well, Batman is their biggest character, one of the most valuable Hollywood IPs. If a Batman movie with good reviews did like Thor Ragnarok numbers, I don't see how that could be anything less than disappointing. Would probably imply the Snyderverse/BVS stigma is too hard to shake off for the character. Wonder Woman succeeded because she was the only breakout from BVS and had the novelty of finally getting her own film. Aquaman was a fun Dec release. But I would think the DC brand is diluted otherwise 

Its a reboot without some external hook like other superheroes showing up or leading up to a huge event film (CM to Endgame), if it does 300m+ dom and 700-800m ww then thats a great start for the reeves verse and we can expect a good sequel to do a billy or more

Was homecoming disappointing for doing only thor ragnarok type numbers?

• Like 1

Can we not with the whole DC/MCU bias thing?

I don't think DC/Marvel flame wars discussions are quite as verboten as they once were, but let's not test the Staff's patience and magnanimous nature, right?

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Is so funny seing people arguing about how the third iteration of the same character in 10 years coming of 2 terrible received movies doing 800M or so is somewhat a bad result, especially considering is a 3 hour "mistery / noir" movie. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snarkmachine said:

I just don't think the repeat watchers for a 3 hour movie will be there. It's a slog, even for fans. 

isn't titanic the movie with the most repeat watchers and that movie was 3:15 hr

Edited by AnDr3s
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Oh trust me, the DC/MCU bias is still alive and well lol

Whether it's "alive and well" doesn't mean discussing it for pages on end does anyone any good.

Anyway, I've said my piece on that part of the equation.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

So far what we have for sure: a critically acclaimed movie, Pattinson extremelly well received as Batman by pretty much everyone, a movie that fans are loving it and the GP seems to liked a lot as well.

WB already won, they succesfully reestablished the character quickly after the mess with the DCU and now they can have a franchise on both theaters and TV that people actually care about it.

At top of that they will likely get the second biggest movie post pandemic box office wise with the potential to grow a lot by the next movie. We should be celebrating instead of spending hours having meltdowns over nothing beyond own frustrated expectations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

He said under 100m a few weeks ago

He predicted 124.5 in the weekend contest and 132.5 in the Derby and he is gonna be a hell of a lot a closer to the mark than a lot of people in those thread. I don't know why you expect anyone to have great predictions many week out but even many trades were saying 100m or so OW. Guess they too are biased according to you then?

18 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

He said under 20 previews and under 100 weekend. Constantly. how is that right?

Would be great to actually check before you post, wouldn't it?

And yes drop this fanboy war nonsense before this goes out of hand. You don't like someone's posts then ignore it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1