Eric S'ennui

THE BATMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 134M OW DOM, 258.2M WW | Biggest WB opening since BvS. First non Disney-affiliated 100M OW since 2018

Those PostTrak scores from last night (4.5 stars, 88% positive, 73% definite recommend) absolutely point to the likelihood of significant numbers of repeat viewers. Not saying it can do 3X, but WOM* is going to carry this a long way through a basically empty month. I think $330-350 is on the table and that's a fantastic start for this new, darker Batverse.

* had a friend call me this morning who is NOT a CBM nerd at all, but knows that I am, and she said, "Have you heard? This new Batman is supposed to be amazing!" (Her girlfriend's BF had seen it on Tuesday night and couldn't stop raving about it.)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Male to Female ratio was 69:31 last night

If that's the Friday number, I think I win the contest...

Oh, that's the gender breakdown.  Completely on point for the current state of the industry, although I'm betting DC was hoping to see a little more balance, since they normally have it in their movies...

PS - For the doom and gloom...ummm, The Batman is gonna open as the 2nd biggest opener of the Covid era, outopening every Disney supers movie and every DC supers movie by a lot - like $30-$40M+.  Only Spidey takes it down in the era, and as I said, Spidey was always going to be TFA, just maxed out to whatever the Covid market could bring (which ended up much higher than I expected).  That's not in the realm of possible for this type of movie and place in its story...

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Noctis said:

If you did attend math's class, you would know that the statistical probability of this film opening to sub-$100m with $21m in previews (especially for a new series) is essentially zero. I'd say sue the school that educated you in maths, but in this day and age, the world definitely needs some humor.

Now, it can go below $100m if Russia uses nuclear weapons on Ukraine. I would say that's the knowledge of my international relations major coming in, but a nine year old could guess that. 

If you apply TlJ and tros multiplier for the batman true Thursday , you will get sub 100m even adding fan screening number. So no way the probability come to zero.

Guys, you learn nothing from comparing 2022 openings to the 2020-2021 stuff. They were a  combination of severely impacted and low wattage. I am not going to be gentle with DS2 if it misses 160 — it is okay to treat movies with real expectations instead of kid gloves :) 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

If that's the Friday number, I think I win the contest...

Oh, that's the gender breakdown.  Completely on point for the current state of the industry, although I'm betting DC was hoping to see a little more balance, since they normally have it in their movies...

Depends on the hero, I think Batman is definitely a male skewing property.

14 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

PS - For the doom and gloom...ummm, The Batman is gonna open as the 2nd biggest opener of the Covid era, outopening every Disney supers movie and every DC supers movie by a lot - like $30-$40M+.  Only Spidey takes it down in the era, and as I said, Spidey was always going to be TFA, just maxed out to whatever the Covid market could bring (which ended up much higher than I expected).  That's not in the realm of possible for this type of movie and place in its story...

If it did not do that…it would be a very very big problem. That it has passed everything but NWH is essentially meaningless to mention. And really…it only gets to hold that title (?) because of the release order. MoM is probably going to beat do 1.5x this domestically for OW. 

Edited by HouseOfTheSun
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, A Star is Orm said:

Those PostTrak scores from last night (4.5 stars, 88% positive, 73% definite recommend) absolutely point to the likelihood of significant numbers of repeat viewers. Not saying it can do 3X, but WOM* is going to carry this a long way through a basically empty month. I think $330-350 is on the table and that's a fantastic start for this new, darker Batverse.

* had a friend call me this morning who is NOT a CBM nerd at all, but knows that I am, and she said, "Have you heard? This new Batman is supposed to be amazing!" (Her girlfriend's BF had seen it on Tuesday night and couldn't stop raving about it.)

Those are solid PostTrak scores but don't point to massive legs. Basically the exact same scores as Captain Marvel after its previews. But yeah, 330-350 off of 130+ is likely, harder if it is more like 120. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Villain Legion said:

Guys, you learn nothing from comparing 2022 openings to the 2020-2021 stuff. They were a  combination of severely impacted and low wattage. I am not going to be gentle with DS2 if it misses 160 — it is okay to treat movies with real expectations instead of kid gloves :) 

We both know that's not going to happen. 

16 minutes ago, Villain Legion said:

Even discounting the Tuesday and Wednesday screenings, the Thursday night numbers are bigger than Joker. 

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Even discounting the Tuesday and Wednesday screenings, the Thursday night numbers are bigger than Joker. 

Well, that is a mathematical fact I will not dispute. But it seems like you’re trying  to imply something from it which does not actually follow.

Daily Domestic Chart for Thursday March 3, 2022

Movie Title Gross %YD %LW Theaters Per
Theater
Total
Gross
Days In
Release
- P The Batman $21,600,000         $21,600,000  
- (1) Uncharted $1,075,000 -21% -53% 4,275 $251 $89,269,293 14
- (3) Spider-Man: No Way Home $470,000 -9% -20% 3,002 $157 $782,093,905 77

The Batman with the preview of 21.6 M

Captain marvel with previews of 20.7m had opening day of ~62M and weekend at 153M

Lion King  with previews of 23m had opening day of ~78M and weekend at 191M

Suicide Squad  with previews of 20.5m had opening day of ~65M and weekend at 133M

Hunger Games with previews of 19.4m had opening day of ~67M and weekend at 152M

The Avengers with previews of 18.7m had opening day of ~81M and weekend at 207M

1 minute ago, Villain Legion said:

Well, that is a mathematical fact I will not dispute. But it seems like you’re trying  to imply something from it which does not actually follow.

You claimed that comparing the box office to movies that were released last year isn’t fair, so I brought up a movie that was released before the pandemic. It sounds like you’re doing everything you can to downplay its performance.