Eric S'ennui

THE BATMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 134M OW DOM, 258.2M WW | Biggest WB opening since BvS. First non Disney-affiliated 100M OW since 2018

23 minutes ago, AnDr3s said:

I know that Alien isn't the biggest thing in the world right now, but it is a bummer they aren't giving this a theatrical release. Predator I understand being Hulu-only, but Alien still has enough brand recognition behind it to get some dough, especially if this new movie is on the cheaper side.

Are the only 20th Century theatrical releases just going to be Avatar/Apes/Free Guy? That's just dumb.

• Like 4

Just now, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Pretty bleak news day!

Will Smith and MBJ.. two of the biggest black actors in the world. Enough star power to justify an original film. But no, rehashed IP from 2007 instead

Audiences don't watch original stuff so why make it unless you can do it for a tiny ass budget which isn't happening if you want Will as your lead

• Like 1

Just now, BruiseCruise said:

Audiences don't watch original stuff so why make it unless you can do it for a tiny ass budget which isn't happening if you want Will as your lead

Why not take a risk? Because audiences don’t watch original films, just give up? Tell that to Dog, Lost City, Nope, Bullet Train. Fox has Disney money, there’s nothing to lose.

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Why not take a risk? Because audiences don’t watch original films, just give up? Tell that to Dog, Lost City, Nope, Bullet Train. Fox has Disney money, there’s nothing to lose.

Dog has a super tiny budget, we have no idea how Bullet train or Lost City will do and Nope is a horror which has worked during the pandemic and will also have a small budget

a i am legend reboot is way more likely to succeed than an original and thats what studios care about

6 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

Evil Dead 2013 and Don't Breathe are both great. Here for whatever Alvarez directs.

The Girl in the Spider's Web tho... :gold:

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Dog has a super tiny budget, we have no idea how Bullet train or Lost City will do and Nope is a horror which has worked during the pandemic and will also have a small budget

a i am legend reboot is way more likely to succeed than an original and thats what studios care about

I don’t disagree, I’m just saying that studio mentality is pathetic and detrimental to cinema. 

Dog has a 15m budget, that’s not super tiny lol. We don’t know how Bullet Train and Lost City will do but there’s potential and upside, which is the point. Bullet Train hits and there’s a franchise. It flops so what? Sony will still have a zillion dollars in Spider-Man revenue. Nope doesn’t have a small budget, it’s filmed in IMAX. It’s probably Peele’s biggest budgeted film yet. 

And how likely is I Am Legend 2 to succeed? More often than not, delayed sequels and reboots flop than hit. 

• Like 1

11:00 AM IMAX 150/600

The first 75% of the film are very, very good, even better than anything in No Way Home. However, the last 20 minutes or so are completely unnecessary with the exception of the final scene involving The Riddler. The movie should have ended with that. Still, the cinematography, the score, the action scenes, the direction and Kravitz were all excellent. Pattinson was a very good Batman and I look forward to the sequel(s). 

• Astonished 1

23 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Haven’t both Alien and Predator shown (more than once) recently that not as many people care about their franchises as they think? 

I think everyone agrees that everything that came after the first Predator movie is quite bad(though I quite like the first half of PREDATORS).  The only Alien movie I think is a total piece of shit is Alien Resurrection.  There are things to like in all the others(not including the AVP films).

Edited by Ozymandias