Eric S'ennui

Weekend Thread (3/18-20) | Weekend Actuals: Batman 36.7, Jujutsu Kaisen 17.7, Uncharted 7.8, X 4.4, Dog 4

30 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

That’s disappointing for X. It’s a great slasher with insane reviews in 2,865 cinemas. 

The trailer was an easy sell too. 

I’m so glad we had Scream in January. 2022 horror (X, Studio 666, Cursed) is opening at early 2021 levels unfortunately.

I can’t see it changing until The Black Phone in June. 

here's the sad truth. no one knows how to market challenging movies and make them must-sees like the Weinsteins did. if they  were behind X, they would have made you HAVE to go see it and opened it to 10m+. keep in mind Scream 2022 would not exist if they didn't know how to make Scream 1996 a must-see. they even famously fudged its numbers to make it look bigger and more important than it was. there were disputes claiming it actually grossed in the 80m range, and never broke 100m. they also inflated Scream 2's opening to 39m but were caught redhanded and had to lower it down. they knew how to eventize small movies. all that to say, when those sickos were justly kicked out of the industry, a void was left, and no one has been able to fill it, because no one can do what they did. 

• Like 1

I'm sorry, when did we decide that X was going to be this mega-successful sensational opener? Outside of really good reviews, what exactly was the big hook for people outside of the horror scene? It's a starless, ultraviolent 70s slasher throwback. I can understand maybe it could have opened similar to The Witch and being bummed about that, but I don't think we need to go "WOE IS ME MOVIES ARE DEAD 4EVER GAIZ OMGGGG :(((((((((((("

2 minutes ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

I'm sorry, when did we decide that X was going to be this mega-successful sensational opener? Outside of really good reviews, what exactly was the big hook for people outside of the horror scene? It's a starless, ultraviolent 70s slasher throwback. I can understand maybe it could have opened similar to The Witch and being bummed about that, but I don't think we need to go "WOE IS ME MOVIES ARE DEAD 4EVER GAIZ OMGGGG :(((((((((((("

Exactly, we've just accepted that good movies will flop while bad ones (like The Batman) will thrive. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • ...wtf 4
  • Disbelief 2

5 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Exactly, we've just accepted that good movies will flop while bad ones (like The Batman) will thrive. 

Keep saying it all over the forum but... The Batman is generally a well liked film. Nothing wrong with not liking it but it's doing well because people are liking it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Movies that look unappealing will flop and ones that look appealing will thrive. Trying to bring (your personal opinion of) quality into it is a recipe for nothing but heartbreak.

• Like 3