Eric Furiosa

Weekend Thread (3/18-20) | Weekend Actuals: Batman 36.7, Jujutsu Kaisen 17.7, Uncharted 7.8, X 4.4, Dog 4

If The Lost City opens above 30m next weekend, I expect a thoughtful apology from the users who laughed when I said Channing Tatum was one of the best draws left in Hollywood. A rare win for ole Cmasterclay between Lost City and Dog.

• Like 2

I think The Lost City is doing $30M+ next weekend. It's got everything in its favor: good combination of starpower, good reviews, funny marketing (the trailer always gets a lot of laughs every time I've seen it at the movies), an open marketplace. Definitely feels like one of the bigger tests for the theatrical comedy in a while.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I honestly can see Fantastic Beasts 3 total below the opening of the first one... lol but I think there should be some hunger from the fandom to see it (even with all the baggage there has been with being a HP fan...) so we'll see. I could see an opening as low as mid 30s or high 50s. 

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think The Lost City is doing $30M+ next weekend. It's got everything in its favor: good combination of starpower, good reviews, funny marketing (the trailer always gets a lot of laughs every time I've seen it at the movies), an open marketplace. Definitely feels like one of the bigger tests for the theatrical comedy in a while.

Thinking $35M. Go big or go home (or watch The Batman for the 4th time).

3 hours ago, ban1o said:

yeah I think more studios should be sending their movies to theaters instead of streaming. People are clearly going to the movies more and holdovers are doing so well because there's not much to see. 

I'm just so paranoid about the death of movie theaters. I've legit had anxiety about this lol. 

Agreed.  I tried screaming from every rooftop that anyone predicting the end of movie theaters was dead wrong.  

My next prediction, which I think has also come true or is about to for everyone, is that putting movies on streaming or going day and date with their strategy is a terrible business plan.  I think just about every studio has figured it out with Bob Chapek and Kareem at Disney being the last couple of idiots to not get it.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Agreed.  I tried screaming from every rooftop that anyone predicting the end of movie theaters was dead wrong.  

My next prediction, which I think has also come true or is about to for everyone, is that putting movies on streaming or going day and date with their strategy is a terrible business plan.  I think just about every studio has figured it out with Bob Chapek and Kareem at Disney being the last couple of idiots to not get it.  

Firestarter and Marry Me from Universal are day and date, and Firestarter only opens in May, so Universal is also still doing this, besides Chapek.

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Firestarter and Marry Me from Universal are day and date, and Firestarter only opens in May, so Universal is also still doing this, besides Chapek.

They are, but word is that Firestarter might be the last one.  We shall see.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Such a bad business decision. It made sense during the height of the pandemic but legit no one is staying away from the theater because of fear of COVID anymore. I live in Ontario, one of the strictest places in the world for COVID restrictions and we're basically about to get rid of all the mandates.

Studios need to stop sending their movies directly to streaming. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

I hope Netflix, Apple and Amazon also start putting stuff into theaters for long exclusive runs, i don't get investing the kind of money they do on some of these projects just to stick on streaming from the start

Well, Apple has runs. Macbeth had like 3 weeks before streaming. 

7 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

I hope Netflix, Apple and Amazon also start putting stuff into theaters for long exclusive runs, i don't get investing the kind of money they do on some of these projects just to stick on streaming from the start

2 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Well, Apple has runs. Macbeth had like 3 weeks before streaming. 

Yeah I wonder what Apple is gonna do with stuff like Argylle and Napoleon.

Macbeth doing 3 weeks before streaming makes sense since that had limited appeal. But Argylle is supposed to be a franchsie starter, and Napoleon is a big historical epic. I imagine those would get wide release, 30+ day theatrical exclusives? Can Apple pull that off? I know Killers of the Flower Moon is getting Paramount distribution, are the other 2?

Even that Will Ferrell, Ryan Reynolds Christmas movie and that Chris Evans, Ana de Armas Ghosted movie seem like theatrical plays I would imagine

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

If The Lost City opens above 30m next weekend, I expect a thoughtful apology from the users who laughed when I said Channing Tatum was one of the best draws left in Hollywood. A rare win for ole Cmasterclay between Lost City and Dog.

After your iconic Black Panther over Infinity War domestic club I don't think anyone should be laughing at you ever again

49 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Firestarter is supposedly very bad, which is why maybe Universal just wanted to dump simultaneously on Peacock, I don't know. 

Have you seen that trailer? There's nothing to suppose. It looks like a bad network TV adaptation. 

Edited by Flopped
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

Yeah I wonder what Apple is gonna do with stuff like Argylle and Napoleon.

Macbeth doing 3 weeks before streaming makes sense since that had limited appeal. But Argylle is supposed to be a franchsie starter, and Napoleon is a big historical epic. I imagine those would get wide release, 30+ day theatrical exclusives? Can Apple pull that off? I know Killers of the Flower Moon is getting Paramount distribution, are the other 2?

Even that Will Ferrell, Ryan Reynolds Christmas movie and that Chris Evans, Ana de Armas Ghosted movie seem like theatrical plays I would imagine

It’ll be like it always is with these services. They’ll play exclusively in Cinemarks, smaller chains, and indie theaters. A week or two before the streaming premiere at best, same day at worst. Netflix and Amazon are comfortable in those lanes and I doubt Apple is any different

• Like 1

NWH had the lowest jump on Friday. 

Finally NWH amazing run coming to an end. look like final gross will be below 805M

Movie Title Distributor Gross %YD %LW Theaters Per
Theater
Total
Gross
Days In
Release
1 (1) The Batman Warner Bros. $10,600,000 +111% -43% 4,302 $2,464 $273,890,872 15
2 N Jujutsu Kaisen 0: The Movie FUNimation $8,625,896     2,297 $3,755 $8,625,896 1
3 (2) Uncharted Sony Pictures $2,250,000 +115% -8% 3,700 $608 $120,145,357 29
4 N X A24 $1,776,300     2,865 $620 $1,776,300 1
5 (3) Dog United Artists $1,169,140 +116% -15% 3,307 $354 $51,300,713 29
6 (-) Spider-Man: No Way Home Sony Pictures $875,000 +88% -10% 2,585 $338 $795,218,553 92
7 N The Outfit Focus Features $530,000     1,324 $400 $530,000 1
8 (-) Death on the Nile 20th Century… $498,000 +101% -25% 2,050 $243 $42,372,499 36

Edited by Caylu
  • Haha 2